Thread: Centon Tuner - CableCARD required?

Beans

Centon Tuner - CableCARD required?

Does anyone know if a CableCARD is required for the Cento InfiniTV devices? I have digital cable but no premium channels or set-top boxes. If I do need one -- my questions would be why?

Thanks!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Centon Tuner - CableCARD required?

My CATV provider started encrypting all channels - even local broadcast channels - about 3 yrs ago. In 2010, they began by encrypting all but the local broadcast stations and shopping channels. If the channels on your cable system are encrypted-QAM too, then yes, you need CableCARD from the CATV provider. Any TV with a QAM tuner can test this - TVs made for the North American market in the last 8 yrs probably do have this tuner. Just connect the CATV coax to the TV, set the TV tuner for "digital cable" and have it scan for channels. If you get any, then those are the channels you'd get without CableCARD until your CATV provider decides to encrypt everything too.

I don't have a Ceton - don't know if it works with "clear QAM" or not. What does the spec sheet say?
    Also - I thought CableCARD DRM only worked with Windows media center. Am I wrong?

Oh - and welcome to the forums.
    Last edited by TheFu; February 6th, 2015 at 03:11 PM.

Beans

Thank you for the welcome!

My CATV provider is currently all digital and is not encrypting channels as this is how I watch TV currently. I have read several people using the Ceton cards on Myth and in fact my Myth install has the option for it in the card setup. The reason I ask if a card is required or required initially as the instructions state that it is, but my understanding is that is a WMC thing and I couldn't find any information to indicate that this was the same on Myth. My only thought is that the Ceton device requires in order to populate frequencies in its DB.

I talked to a guy at the Cable Co. who said he would provision a card for me so I guess we will see if that takes care of it or not. Its a small town Cable company who doesn't provide any kind of 'whole home' solution so he was very interested in my project and willing to help any way they could.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ceton_InfiniTV_4
    The card is also capable of being used without a CableCARD to tune Clear QAM channels.
    So - it appears you are good.

Beans

I am! Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Marking the thread "solved" will help others find an answer and gurus not check.