Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mythfrontend.re recently started taking up over 100% of the CPU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

mythfrontend.re recently started taking up over 100% of the CPU

All of a sudden (the week of Nov. 5, 2014) the mythtvfrontend.re started hogging the CPU, without warning.

Tonight is the 2nd night this week that the Mythtv frontend became unresponsive to the IR Remote AND the pc keyboard.

Both times, I used the pc keyboard and did an ALT-F1 to get to a terminal screen, and checked the "top" command.
    Both times, I saw the mythfrontend.re process taking up over 100% of the CPU!

I found that if I did a "sudo pkill mythrontend" then "sudo pkill mythfrontend.re", I was able to get control of the GUI interface again.
    At that point, I restarted the Mythtv Frontend from the GUI interface and it worked again.

Is anyone else seeing this CPU hogging?

Is this realted to the mythtv 0.27.4 update or other updates this week?
    Last edited by neutron68; November 8th, 2014 at 04:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: mythfrontend.re recently started taking up over 100% of the CPU!

Do you know if it is happening on certain types of video playback? It's been awhile since I used MythFronted, but a few times after an update the playback settings got reset to default so some video playback would fail, but others worked fine.

Beans
    Distro

It's not happening during video playback. It's happening while the Mythtv Front End is just sitting there showing the on screen menus.

I discover it's in this 100%+ usage state when I try to use the arrow keys on the pc keyboard or IR remote and they don't respond.

This just started this past week, and I didn't make any changes to the system other than allowing a few updates in the Update Manager.

Eric

Beans
    Distro

Another symptom...

see:
    http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/a...psp0cz8sun.jpg

It's complaining about not having enough memory to auto-generate a report?
    There is 2GB of RAM, which was enough in the past (Mythbuntu 12.04 64-bit with mythtv 0.25).

Current system:
    Mythbuntu 12.04 64-bit, mythtv 0.27+updates repo, VDPAU enabled,
    AMD 4000+, 64x, Dual Core, 2GB RAM, 2TB WD SATA hard drive, Nvidia GT220 card (with 1GB DDR2 RAM),
    BIOSTAR NF4Ultra NF4 Ultra-A9A motherboard
    Last edited by neutron68; November 10th, 2014 at 04:37 PM. Reason: added info

Beans

I have the exact same problem. Ubuntu 14.04LTS.

I compared the output from ls -l /proc/<PID>/ from when it is behaving to when it is misbehaving, and they are the same.

Here's my Myth details:

MythTV Version : v0.27.4-6-ge0b0027
    MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27
    Network Protocol : 77
    Library API : 0.27.20141016-1
    QT Version : 4.8.6
    Options compiled in:
    linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_sdl using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_profiletype using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Once you regain control, what do you see in the frontend log and in system log at the time of failure? ?

Code:
    less /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log
    less /var/log/syslog
    Phil

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by khPWXxF View Post
    Once you regain control, what do you see in the frontend log and in system log at the time of failure? ?

Code:
    less /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log
    less /var/log/syslog
    Phil
    I'll keep watching. It's not happened in 7 days.
    I looked in /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log, but I only know the days not the exact times times when the mythfrontend took over the CPU.
    I'm grepping for keywords like "error" but not seeing anything suspicious from the days of the processor runaway.
    Last edited by neutron68; November 16th, 2014 at 01:21 AM.

Beans

Ok, so here is what I have found so far:

First off, I am running 14.04LTS with all current updates.

I wrote a simple script to log the CPU Utilization of mythfrontend, mythbackend, and mythcommflag. It took a couple days to catch it (for a while I was coming home to find 100% CPU every day, but once it knew I was watching it behaved.) I caught it the other day.

So, mythfrontend idles around 0.5%. It ran like that for a couple days. On 12/04/2014 at 21:30 it began to ramp up CPU load. It ramped up in a fairly linear fashion to 13.7% until 23:37. At 23:37 mythcommflag started, and mythfrontend CPU load continued to increase linearly to 32.0% at 00:29 when mythcommflag finished. It continued to increase to 91.6% in what appeared a linear increase to 12/05/2014 at 22:34 when I restarted mythfrontend.

I looked for oddities in the mythfrontend log when the CPU started to ramp up. I found about five errors like this:

Dec 4 21:30:34 DRJ-myth mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[2454]: E PlaybackBoxHelper playbackboxhelper.cpp:88 (CheckAvailability) PlaybackBoxHelper: CHECK_AVAILABILITY 'myth://DRJ-myth/1091_20140928030000.mpg' file not found

It looks like about that time, I went looking for recordings whose files went missing. Other than that, there doesn't seem much out of the ordinary at the time it began to increase. Then I started watching something else. It doesn't look like I had been watching anything before that time from the logs.

There weren't any errors during most of that time. from 12/5 from 02:22 to 18:42 there isn't a single log entry. The box sat idle.

I will watch for the next failure and see if I can see any patterns. Anything else I should look for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bmcwilliams View Post
    Ok, so here is what I have found so far:

First off, I am running 14.04LTS with all current updates.

I wrote a simple script to log the CPU Utilization of mythfrontend, mythbackend, and mythcommflag. It took a couple days to catch it (for a while I was coming home to find 100% CPU every day, but once it knew I was watching it behaved.) I caught it the other day.

So, mythfrontend idles around 0.5%. It ran like that for a couple days. On 12/04/2014 at 21:30 it began to ramp up CPU load. It ramped up in a fairly linear fashion to 13.7% until 23:37. At 23:37 mythcommflag started, and mythfrontend CPU load continued to increase linearly to 32.0% at 00:29 when mythcommflag finished. It continued to increase to 91.6% in what appeared a linear increase to 12/05/2014 at 22:34 when I restarted mythfrontend.

I looked for oddities in the mythfrontend log when the CPU started to ramp up. I found about five errors like this:

Dec 4 21:30:34 DRJ-myth mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[2454]: E PlaybackBoxHelper playbackboxhelper.cpp:88 (CheckAvailability) PlaybackBoxHelper: CHECK_AVAILABILITY 'myth://DRJ-myth/1091_20140928030000.mpg' file not found

It looks like about that time, I went looking for recordings whose files went missing. Other than that, there doesn't seem much out of the ordinary at the time it began to increase. Then I started watching something else. It doesn't look like I had been watching anything before that time from the logs.

There weren't any errors during most of that time. from 12/5 from 02:22 to 18:42 there isn't a single log entry. The box sat idle.

I will watch for the next failure and see if I can see any patterns. Anything else I should look for?
    What theme are you using? It sounds like this only occurs when the frontend is idle, correct?
    *Don't PM me directly for support, open a new thread
    *Looking for a MythTV quick start guide?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    What theme are you using? It sounds like this only occurs when the frontend is idle, correct?
    MythCenter-wide 1.7. So far it seems to happen when idle. For a while it happened daily. Now it is much less frequent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast