Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Linux alternative for Orb and Mycasting?

Beans

Re: Linux alternative for Orb and Mycasting?

Hi commander,

Quote Originally Posted by commander flatus View Post
    This whole thing kind of makes me sad....

Live on demand transcoding to iphone via the iphone safari browser - the video spec is published -- shouldn't be that hard - especially for saved video files.

NSW
    JapelServer does exactly that: Live transcoding. But since the project is only a few days old, I need some more time to polish the webpage and some minor bugs. But it is already usable. Only restriction, no space in the names of the movie for now and files have to be on the local HD. (I will fix that in the next releases... )

Patrick

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by patrickballeux View Post
    Hi commander,

JapelServer does exactly that: Live transcoding. But since the project is only a few days old, I need some more time to polish the webpage and some minor bugs. But it is already usable. Only restriction, no space in the names of the movie for now and files have to be on the local HD. (I will fix that in the next releases... )

Patrick
    I will download and check it out. Thanks for recognizing this shortcoming of our favorite OS. Can you work on streaming live TV next? Just kidding...

Flatulently,

Beans

I can stream webcams or any stream from the internet also. It's just a matter of setting the proper gstreamer configuration for what you want to stream...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Just checking this out at work, and I can't wait to get home & try installing JapelServer on my media storage box! I'm a huge Ubuntu newbie, but I will probably try to create some notes as I go & maybe produce some "documentation" to help others get it working.

Beans

Use MediaTomb which is in the usual Ubuntu repos .. Synaptic will provide actual app and underlying daemon.

Works quite nicely 8)

Beans

Well, I didn't try other options than uShare and Wine+Orb.
    My main goal is to have my video, music and pics library available to my xbox360.

Orb is perfect because it sorts your media accordingly (pics in dates, music in genre and artist and albums, and videos in folders), which is very helpful to find that special file. Orb can even stream youtube videos (and probably web radios, but I'm not sure). Unfortunately, installation is a bit hard because it shows no characters, just buttons. You should install using a how-to with screenshots. More than that, sometimes it just becomes quiet in the middle of a music. Xbox360 keeps counting music time, but it will never change to the next music. Also, in pictures library, it works just with some small files, and not with the photos...
    For videos, the most important feature for me in Orb is the possibility to show subtitles through ffdshow, and the transcoding, because of the poor xbox360 video capabilities.
    This is my impression for orb.

uShare worked once, but I don't use it anymore because it shows all my files in a single directory. And it does not transcode video files.

But in the last posts here, I found MediaTomb, which could be an option for me. But reading MediaTomb documentation, it has no support for xbox360.

I just don't know what to do, since there are different options for different jobs that could be done by using just one software. When will we have an Orb port for linux? Does anybody have a newer comment on that? Because the latest release on their site is dated November 2009.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

It's closed source and commercial, but I use Twonkymedia Server. It does everything that Orb and Tversity can, even streaming to a Wii.

http://twonkymedia.de/products/twonkyserver/tryit.aspx

There's a 30 day trial, and it's 30 bucks after that, but I just keep deleting the "~/home/.twonky" directory and the trial resets.
    Last edited by fuzzman54; November 18th, 2010 at 10:24 PM.
    Total slaughter. Total slaughter. I won't leave a single man alive. La di da de die, Genocide. La di da de dud, An ocean of blood. Let's begin the killing time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzman54 View Post
    It's closed source and commercial, but I use Twonkymedia Server. It does everything that Orb and Tversity can, even streaming to a Wii.

http://twonkymedia.de/products/twonkyserver/tryit.aspx

There's a 30 day trial, and it's 30 bucks after that, but I just keep deleting the "~/home/.twonky" directory and the trial resets.

It doesn't do everything Orb does. Not even close. It cannot place-shift video to other computers and iPhones and Android devices. It can serve as a DLNA/uPNP server though. There's lots of software that can do that, though, including the free and very useful MediaTomb.

I own a copy of twonky, myself and I'll say it's great software, but not the same as Orb.

There are, however, some indications that Orb may be coming to Linux. Go to AppBrain.com and look at the listing for the Orb Live software. It says that they're working on a Linux server.

Time will tell.

Flatulently,

Beans

I also have this issue nearly 6 years on, still no alternative? I love Linux but want Orb style software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

This is a very old thread. Please start a new one.

Thread closed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234