Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux alternative for Orb and Mycasting?

Beans

Re: Linux alternative for Orb and Mycasting?

hi

you should also check ampache (www.ampache.org) in php and subsonic (subsonic.sourceforge.net) in java both nice programs

Beans

What if you already have an Orb server running? How do you get it to play in Linux, every media player I've tried fails.

Beans

With Orb recently releasing a native iPhone viewer, I am seriously considering either running Orb under a slimmed down VMware, or possibly going back to XP MCE for my HTPC device. I prefer to have ubuntu running mythtv, but being able to easily stream all my movies, tv shows, or live tv to my iphone either over EDGE (works OK) or wifi (works great) would be a deal breaker.

Beans

Hi guys...
    had anybody tried the oxyl-box, which is used to stream from linux to the pinnacle showcenter?

cheers
    al

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Frick, two years of patience since this thread and there still isn't any development with ORB or a simplistic alternative?

Good grief.

Isn't there a way to get it working with winetricks?
    --
    And that's the way I like it.

Beans

This thread has several alternatives...

Beans

i have been using Zina for awhile.
    it pretty much rules... and looks way better than jinzora

http://www.pancake.org/zina

Beans

For movie streaming, I am currently working on a new project called JapelServer. It's default configuration is for the iPhone, but it can be customized to support any devices over the network that can access a webpage and play streams from that webpage.

See http://sourceforge.net/projects/japelserver/ for more details...

Beans

This whole thing kind of makes me sad....

None of the above solutions work easily for audio and video. In fact, few work for video at all.

If you want iPhone compatibility you're doubly worse off -- ootunes advertises that it works on Linux and it may - but the author has never compiled the full thing on Linux and in its default state it works for music, not video. At least this is what he told me when I asked

MythTV has a streaming plug in for video which is long stagnant in development, but may actually work - I haven't tried it. MythTV also has a flash plugin which makes it OK for streaming over the internets but doesn't help b/c THE Steve decided that Flash wouldn't go in the iphoneses. This plugin makes streaming live TV over the tubes possibly, but only via starting a recording, then streaming that file - which is a PITA.

I have not tried Japel Server. What I would like is simple - and I cannot understand why it's not out there -

Live on demand transcoding to iphone via the iphone safari browser - the video spec is published -- shouldn't be that hard - especially for saved video files.

And (probably somewhat more difficult but certainly not impossible) the same thing for live TV.

Windows has multiple products that can do this - Orb, TVersity, TVU, yada yada yada...

If I didn't work 60 hours a week as a physician and have a 1 year old son I would work on it myself because it's so friggin frustrating. Maybe I should get an Android phone.

NSW

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast