Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone on 10.3?

Beans

Re: Anyone on 10.3?

One thing that has always irked me about Suse is the long install times. Even the 10.3 gnome CD took a over 30 minutes to install (i started to play xBox while waiting... ). I have been so used to super fast 6 to 10 minute installs from my main distros that I forgot that installs could still be slow on other distros.

But once installed, it's not too bad. I love the theme and colors. I think I'll install KDE and use it instead though, the menus in the Gnome version is making me dizzy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Antman View Post
    One thing that has always irked me about Suse is the long install times. Even the 10.3 gnome CD took a over 30 minutes to install (i started to play xBox while waiting... ). I have been so used to super fast 6 to 10 minute installs from my main distros that I forgot that installs could still be slow on other distros.

But once installed, it's not too bad. I love the theme and colors. I think I'll install KDE and use it instead though, the menus in the Gnome version is making me dizzy.
    Yeah, my install two near two hours. One thing I do like about Ubuntu is the super fast install, and playing with the live CD while the install is going on. It's all good though. I'm really digging the new release.
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Incense View Post
    Yeah, my install two near two hours. One thing I do like about Ubuntu is the super fast install, and playing with the live CD while the install is going on. It's all good though. I'm really digging the new release.
    Yes install is slow, but after the install it is certainly faster then 10.2. Also I like the fact that you can add the extra repos just by clicking on yast> community repos... and clicking on the ones you want. I don't recall if that was in 10.2 or not.

So far on my laptop:
    1. Suspend works
    2. Wireless works (ipw3945)
    3. Logictech QuickCam® Ultra Vision SE webcam doesn't work (works out of the box in Ubuntu)
    -- a. installed webcam drivers in the webcam repo with no luck so far
    4. Haven't tried video accelleration yet.
    Last edited by Antman; October 5th, 2007 at 01:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have to say, it's nice to see openSUSE swinging for the fences. The new features list looks pretty good...I've downloaded it, just trying to figure out what partition I want to blow up.

Man, with Gutsy, 10.3, and Mandriva 2008 it's a great season to be a Linux user.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm downloading the DVD before going to bed now, should be done by tomorrow morning. It'll be my first time installing OpenSUSE.

I'm wondering, some people were talking about the huge space required by OpenSUSE... I've got two free partitions (6 GB and 20 GB) I was planning to use for the installation, but now I'm wondering if the 6 GB partition will be enough to hold the system. Currently it holds a 2 GB Debian install which has broken fonts and an unknown root password (I forgot it, haven't booted it in a long time. Originally it was a rescue partition in case something went wrong with Ubuntu) so I'm planning on nuking that ASAP.

Also, were I to install GRUB on the MBR, it should recognize and let me boot Ubuntu perfectly, right?
    Last edited by WanderingKnight; October 5th, 2007 at 04:27 AM.

Beans

A Friend of mine said his install of 10.3 took over 2 hours... I think that's ridiculous.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
    I'm downloading the DVD before going to bed now, should be done by tomorrow morning. It'll be my first time installing OpenSUSE.

I'm wondering, some people were talking about the huge space required by OpenSUSE... I've got two free partitions (6 GB and 20 GB) I was planning to use for the installation, but now I'm wondering if the 6 GB partition will be enough to hold the system. Currently it holds a 2 GB Debian install which has broken fonts and an unknown root password (I forgot it, haven't booted it in a long time. Originally it was a rescue partition in case something went wrong with Ubuntu) so I'm planning on nuking that ASAP.

Also, were I to install GRUB on the MBR, it should recognize and let me boot Ubuntu perfectly, right?
    People are vastly exaggerating when it comes to SuSE's disk requirements: A default installation from either of the CDs takes up about 1.6 GB space. In case you activate the online repositories before the installation it will grow to 2.3 GB. As an additional benefit SuSE allows you to add or remove packages before the installation takes place. I've been using a 5 GB root partitions for years and never ran out of space but your mileage may vary.

And it *should* recognize the Ubuntu partition, just check the GRUB configuration before starting the install process (that is, before any changes to the disk are made).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by sstusick View Post
    A Friend of mine said his install of 10.3 took over 2 hours... I think that's ridiculous.
    Maybe he should have picked the packages he wanted to install more carefully? My install took about 15 mins.
    Look up "epic fail" in the dictionary, you'll find this quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by blake7 View Post
    does anything work on ubuntu that does not require haveing to speack to u lot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mjwhitfield View Post
    Maybe he should have picked the packages he wanted to install more carefully? My install took about 15 mins.
    Yeah... didn't think of that. He probably selected them all. He isn't too swift anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

If people are too lazy to customise their installs, they deserve a long wait and a clunky system.

I'm joking of course. Next time maybe suggest he tries the KDE/GNOME CD install.
    Look up "epic fail" in the dictionary, you'll find this quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by blake7 View Post
    does anything work on ubuntu that does not require haveing to speack to u lot.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast