Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Anyone on 10.3?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Anyone on 10.3?

I installed openSUSE 10.3 this morning out of boredom, I thought it would take me half an hour to be back in Gentoo but I'm actually playing around with it since then

I must admit I was very pleasantly surprised, especially when I remember the last time I tried SuSe (I think it was 7.2), which was a very bad experience.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    I must admit I was very pleasantly surprised, especially when I remember the last time I tried SuSe (I think it was 7.2), which was a very bad experience.
    I think my first go at linux may have been with 7.x. I don't think I lasted long.
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans

I liked 10.3 - first suse I tried. Very smooth and very complete graphical experience. Definitely the distro with the best polish.

The speed was ok to good for kde. Certainly workable for my 3 year old laptop. YaST is a fantastic tool.

However, the problems with getting compiz fusion to work properly and the overwhelmingly slow speed of updates and installing software led me to abandon it after a few weeks. Too bad, as they have a great thing going with the general setup and one-click install is a fantastic feature.

Another negative is the installer which needs work for newbies. If not for that one, OpenSUSE would be the distro I'd recommend to newbies with fairly new machines without reservation.
    Learning Linux - my blog about getting to the bottom of my Debian system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

IMHO it's definitely the most polished GNU/Linux distro out there on both the KDE & Gnome side... That polish alone should be the basis for all desktop Linux systems...

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i just installed the gnome version and was mildly impressed. i could see myself using it as my day to day OS if i were to quit using ubuntu for some reason. im gonna try the KDE version next. i just need to figure out how to watch TV with my Hauppauge PVR150. (which works great in ubuntu)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    i just installed the gnome version and was mildly impressed. i could see myself using it as my day to day OS if i were to quit using ubuntu for some reason. im gonna try the KDE version next. i just need to figure out how to watch TV with my Hauppauge PVR150. (which works great in ubuntu)

If you decide to install openSuSE10.3, the last panel after installation is a hardware detection screen, I'm pretty sure there's a good shot at detecting that TV card... I want to say it was a PVR-100 or 150 (which soon will be worthless now thanks to the US switching to digi signals next year) that worked in open10.2 & Ubuntu 606LTS using MythTV.... Gave up on the whole media center dealie over a year ago when it was deemed cheaper & easier to just get a DVR from your cable company...
    Last edited by dca; November 9th, 2007 at 09:25 PM.

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I looked at Suse myself just to check it out. And from reading about it, it looked like a good setup especially for power users or business.
    But if I recall it was like a five cd install so I didnt continue with installing it.
    I also checked into freebsd about the same time, and trying to get that installed is no easy matter. Possibly hours of compiling etc.
    I realize compiling everything for your specific hardware is probably the most secure and stable way to use a unix system. But Ubuntu is more than stable enough for my needs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by zero244 View Post
    I looked at Suse myself just to check it out. And from reading about it, it looked like a good setup especially for power users or business.
    But if I recall it was like a five cd install so I didnt continue with installing it.
    I also checked into freebsd about the same time, and trying to get that installed is no easy matter. Possibly hours of compiling etc.
    I realize compiling everything for your specific hardware is probably the most secure and stable way to use a unix system. But Ubuntu is more than stable enough for my needs.
    There is a one disc live CD with an installer now for OpenSUSE.
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by zero244 View Post
    They dropped the 5 CD installation due to complaints, so they now only have 1 CD and 1 DVD.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    They dropped the 5 CD installation due to complaints, so they now only have 1 CD and 1 DVD.
    And the boxed version comes with two dual layer DVDs that have the full FTP repositories for both x86 and x86-64.
    openSUSE hasn't a ShipIt program, but they will send you a copy of the boxed version for free if you were an "upstream package maintainer, openSUSE translation team member or active bug reporter". And I received my first one with just 3 or 4 bug/enhancement reports, not something really difficult to archieve.
    http://news.opensuse.org/?p=493

There were no complains about the 5CDs. But it became 6CDs because the teTeX to TeXLive transition. So between alpha5 and alpha6 they stopped releasing the 6CDs saying "let's see if someone complains". Since just a few people complained...

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112