View Poll Results: How did you hear about ubuntu?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Given CDs by a friend

13 12.26%
  • Shipit CDs

2 1.89%
  • Heard about it on a mailing list

4 3.77%
  • Heard about it on Usenet

1 0.94%
  • Other

86 81.13%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you hear about ubuntu?

Beans

Re: How did you hear about ubuntu?

I read about it in an article, visited the homepage, ordered 3 CD's and forgot the thing. About a month later the CD's arrived! Thanks guys! Now I've unistalled Windows totally! Miss Half-life / CounterStrike a bit though... Maybe I'll try Cedega.

Ubuntu is the most user-friendly and not-so-totally-full-of-different-applications Linux distro I've tried (I've tried Mandrake 10.0, SuSe 9.3, Fedora Core 3 and Xandros). I especially love the support possibilities!! The forums, the Wiki and all that!!! Thanks again guys! I also like the artwork and style of it all

Btw this is my first post.
    UbuntuPerre

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by pmj
    Recommended by a friend.
    Same here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I really cant remember when I first heard about it - might have been when I was looking over the Gnoppix project's website. From then it was just little hints until the PR of 5.04 came out and I tried the LiveCD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Smile Re: How did you hear about ubuntu?

I read about Ubuntu in the UK Linux magazine Linux Format, where they had a review of Warty (or maybe Hoary, I don't remember).

Anyway, I had a Mandrake Community Edition on my PC (installed from 3 CDs provided by the same magazine) but I wasn't satisfied and I wanted something better.

So, I started searching for the replacement, I was thinking of Installing Slackware but then I suddenly remembered Ubuntu and all the nice words that Linux Format had said about this distro. I visited the website, I read more reviews, I saw screenshots and I was very impressed! I, then , downloaded the Live and Install ISOs without second thought, and installed it. And that's it, I am a very happy user of Ubuntu!

And yes the poll could had more Options like "Magazine" as that it was my case...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

One of the CS TAs at my school overheard me bitching about Gentoo one day while in the Linux Lab and suggested Ubuntu. The rest as they say, is history
    ArchLinux 0.8.0
    Associate Member of the Free Software Foundation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I found out about it in a weird way.

Some friends and I were in a chatroom bored one night, we all were using either Debian or Gentoo and we were trying to convince the only one still running Windows to try it out. He said he wanted to but since he had 56k and was cheap he didn't want to download it/buy a cd.

Then one other friend, who was the most experienced with linux at the time, said why don't you just get Ubuntu, they'll send it to you for free.

I was using Debian, and after reformatting, the next distro I tried was Ubuntu.

Beans

Saw it running on a friend's PC in my dorm, before I ever used linux. I asked him what it was, and after he told me, I said "Uboo-what?"

The name was unique enough that it stuck in my head, so later I decided to download it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

saw a review on Slashdot.org n decided to give it a try. been satisfied with it ever since

kahping

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I read about Ubuntu in Arstechnica or LinuxJournal and my initial thoughts were 'yet another distro, yawn'. Then I heard it was based on Debian and it's winning all the prizes on Earth - so I decided it was worth a look some day. And that day I immediately felt like home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: How did you hear about ubuntu?

I found Ubuntu on a reference in the Garnome mailing list--I was using YellowDog Linux & wanted a more modern desktop (YD 4.01 uses Gnome 2.6!), so I was testing the new (at that time) 2.10--I thought to myself---Ubuntu??--that's a strange name for a distro????--maybe I ought to take a look............And here I am
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast