Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Update Gimp?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Beans
    432
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Update Gimp?

    The Ubuntu repos still has GIMP 2.4 RC 3, I'd like to install GIMP 2.4.1 but I don't want to sacrifice my current installation (eg. I want to keep all my settings and plugins)

    If I do a normal remove of GIMP 2.4 RC 3 with apt-get and build GIMP 2.4.1 from source will I still have all these settings?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Beans
    4,394
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: Update Gimp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naatan View Post
    The Ubuntu repos still has GIMP 2.4 RC 3, I'd like to install GIMP 2.4.1 but I don't want to sacrifice my current installation (eg. I want to keep all my settings and plugins)

    If I do a normal remove of GIMP 2.4 RC 3 with apt-get and build GIMP 2.4.1 from source will I still have all these settings?
    What is in 2.4.1 that you need? You can't just wait?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Beans
    480
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Update Gimp?

    Quote Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post
    What is in 2.4.1 that you need? You can't just wait?
    Bugfixes and peace of mind ^_^

    I got mine from

    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/madman2k/ubuntu gutsy main restricted universe multiverse
    Just make sure you uncheck all the non-GIMP updates (I don't know what they do).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    519

    Re: Update Gimp?

    I got mine from:
    http://www.getdeb.net/category.php?id=4

    (uninstall the version in Ubuntu first)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Beans
    432
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Update Gimp?

    Thanks guys, and like CarpKing said: bugfixes and peace of mind (nicely said )

    For one thing the current version in the repos has a bug that makes GIMP crash at times, I havent managed to pinpoint it and am not putting any effort into doing so, but the newer versions dont seem to have this problem.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    1,180
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Update Gimp?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naatan View Post
    Thanks guys, and like CarpKing said: bugfixes and peace of mind (nicely said )

    For one thing the current version in the repos has a bug that makes GIMP crash at times, I havent managed to pinpoint it and am not putting any effort into doing so, but the newer versions dont seem to have this problem.
    If you do find bugs it would be helpful to everyone if you report them. Reporting bugs will make the development of your favourite programs move along much faster and let the developers concentrate on adding some new features when the bugs have been squashed. So please, report the bug, don't leave it to someone else who might take longer to find it.
    Sick of cd'ing to a folder? sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal Log out then back in. Right click in the folder, select Open in terminal
    Need to compile something? sudo apt-get install build-essential

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Parma, OH
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: Update Gimp?

    Quote Originally Posted by CarpKing View Post
    Bugfixes and peace of mind ^_^

    I got mine from

    Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/madman2k/ubuntu gutsy main restricted universe multiverse
    Just make sure you uncheck all the non-GIMP updates (I don't know what they do).
    Thank you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Beans
    123
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Update Gimp?

    Just out of curiosity, I'm new to Ubuntu 7.1 which installed the GIMP version mentioned in the OP; I have just started to explore this imaging program and installed the newer version on my Windows computer in the office - will the Update Manager eventually alert me to the presence of this newer GIMP version on my Ubuntu installation? Thanks -

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tampa
    Beans
    229
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Update Gimp?

    yes

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    $HOME (Washington State)
    Beans
    4,590

    Re: Update Gimp?

    It probably won't come to Gutsy though (which is what you are running), so you will probably have to download the latest gimp from the repo posted above or from getdeb.net.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •