Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update Gimp?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Update Gimp?

The Ubuntu repos still has GIMP 2.4 RC 3, I'd like to install GIMP 2.4.1 but I don't want to sacrifice my current installation (eg. I want to keep all my settings and plugins)

If I do a normal remove of GIMP 2.4 RC 3 with apt-get and build GIMP 2.4.1 from source will I still have all these settings?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Update Gimp?

Quote Originally Posted by Naatan View Post
    The Ubuntu repos still has GIMP 2.4 RC 3, I'd like to install GIMP 2.4.1 but I don't want to sacrifice my current installation (eg. I want to keep all my settings and plugins)

If I do a normal remove of GIMP 2.4 RC 3 with apt-get and build GIMP 2.4.1 from source will I still have all these settings?
    What is in 2.4.1 that you need? You can't just wait?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post
    What is in 2.4.1 that you need? You can't just wait?
    Bugfixes and peace of mind ^_^

I got mine from

Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/madman2k/ubuntu gutsy main restricted universe multiverse
    Just make sure you uncheck all the non-GIMP updates (I don't know what they do).

Beans

I got mine from:
    http://www.getdeb.net/category.php?id=4

(uninstall the version in Ubuntu first)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks guys, and like CarpKing said: bugfixes and peace of mind (nicely said )

For one thing the current version in the repos has a bug that makes GIMP crash at times, I havent managed to pinpoint it and am not putting any effort into doing so, but the newer versions dont seem to have this problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Naatan View Post
    Thanks guys, and like CarpKing said: bugfixes and peace of mind (nicely said )

For one thing the current version in the repos has a bug that makes GIMP crash at times, I havent managed to pinpoint it and am not putting any effort into doing so, but the newer versions dont seem to have this problem.
    If you do find bugs it would be helpful to everyone if you report them. Reporting bugs will make the development of your favourite programs move along much faster and let the developers concentrate on adding some new features when the bugs have been squashed. So please, report the bug, don't leave it to someone else who might take longer to find it.
    Sick of cd'ing to a folder? sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal Log out then back in. Right click in the folder, select Open in terminal
    Need to compile something? sudo apt-get install build-essential

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by CarpKing View Post
    Bugfixes and peace of mind ^_^

I got mine from

Code:
    deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/madman2k/ubuntu gutsy main restricted universe multiverse
    Just make sure you uncheck all the non-GIMP updates (I don't know what they do).
    Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just out of curiosity, I'm new to Ubuntu 7.1 which installed the GIMP version mentioned in the OP; I have just started to explore this imaging program and installed the newer version on my Windows computer in the office - will the Update Manager eventually alert me to the presence of this newer GIMP version on my Ubuntu installation? Thanks -

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

yes

Beans

It probably won't come to Gutsy though (which is what you are running), so you will probably have to download the latest gimp from the repo posted above or from getdeb.net.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast