Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Improve (potentially halve) login time by using readahead

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Improve (potentially halve) login time by using readahead

Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    (2) In Intrepid, there is a new tweak to the default readahead lists in that they removed all the kernel modules from the readahead list (i.e. files ending in .ko) which is supposed to improve bootup speed -- rarely are all the kernel modules required during bootup, but they are all touched a little bit by udev. If you try filtering out *.ko, it might improve boot speed a bit too.
    Good call, worthy of being added to the original post. Not applicable to using readahead for login, but could be useful while profiling the boot sequence. Could use the following to automate the filtering:
    Code:
    sed -i -e 's/^.*.ko$//' /etc/readahead/boot
    Is there a way to tell sed to replace a pattern with a reverse line feed? That would be useful to prevent blank lines in the file.

If you want to get really finicky you could always leave in the modules you know you'll use. The command below should return a list of the kernel modules you're currently using which would be ready to add to a readahead list.
    Code:
    lsmod | sed 's/^\([a-zA-Z1-9]\{1,\}\).*/\1.ko/' | more +2 | xargs locate | grep $(uname -r)
    Last edited by jw5801; November 2nd, 2008 at 06:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Improve (potentially halve) login time by using readahead

Whoops! Of course in my sleep-deprived state I posted that tip to the wrong thread
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Well sadly I can't get this to work. Once I jump out of the GUI I don't seem to be able to get back. Not with Alt + F8 and not with /etc/init.d gdm start either. Though this is not a problem related to this topic maybe someone can help me figure out why it doesn't work and how I can correct it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi all,
    Jon, I've a / and a /home on two different partitions. The other thing is mine is a ubuntu and an xubuntu (just in case GNOME dies or some other stuff like that) . So profiling /home is a good idea or not (in such a case)

Looking forward to your comments on the same.

Also if I put the same code in /etc/rclocal file I don't get the GDM login screen

I haven't also found much of a difference while logging in, in fact seems a bit longer, attaching my gnome.root file just in case it helps.

Dunno if its a bug or somethings have changed in Intrepid. There are 948 files but all are small.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ShirishAg75; November 3rd, 2008 at 04:25 PM. Reason: more info.
    Registered Linux user #468829

http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    Now, log out, and press CTRL+ALT+F1 to log into a terminal. Start the profiler:

Code:
    sudo readahead-watch -o ~/.readahead/gnome.root /
    This will grind the disk for a while (up to a few minutes) then it will return you to a command prompt. The profiler is now in the background watching all actions. Now, without logging out, go to your GDM prompt (ALT+F8 ) and log in normally.
    If you have home on a different partition as root, you should repeat Part 1 for each partition, replacing gnome.root with a different name, and replacing the mountpoint / with each interested mountpoint.
    Not really, the following code will profile "/" and "/home" into one file:

Code:
    sudo readahead-watch -o ~/.readahead/gnome.root / /home
    You should be able to append as many paths as you like and keep everything simple.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

I just started playing around with readahead and I have got a question: why the profiles generated by readahead-watch cannot just be appended to etc/readahead/desktop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by CancelloCornorosso View Post
    I just started playing around with readahead and I have got a question: why the profiles generated by readahead-watch cannot just be appended to etc/readahead/desktop?
    Well they can, but that hangs the boot at the first step for as much as 30 seconds, which might not be the behavior you want. It makes the user wait longer till he is able to type in his password. Even worse, by the time the system grinds through bootup to GDM it might've already "forgotten" (evicted out of RAM) everything it cached at bootup.
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Are these instructions still necessary, or does just installing readahead take care of this?

On ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    Are these instructions still necessary, or does just installing readahead take care of this?

On ubuntu 8.10
    Readahead on all current versions of Ubuntu only is designed to accelerate GRUB -> GDM boot sequence. This HOWTO uses the same software to accelerate the GDM -> desktop login sequence. So yes, this is still applicable to Intrepid 8.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ah thanks. readahead seems to be installed by default in 8.10 so I'll apply the gdm->desktop thing.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast