Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is going on CHICAGO!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: What is going on CHICAGO!!!

Have you heard of the Free Geek effort in Chicago to recycle / repurpose computer technology using Ubuntu / Xubuntu?

http://freegeekchicago.org/

They offer technical training and people can earn a computer with 20 hours of work there. Sounds like a great way to empower people with Free Software and low cost computing.

They are looking for individuals who want to get involved with their effort. Thought there might be some interest here.
    Join your a Local Linux User Group or an Ubuntu Local Community Team...
    Purchase your next computer with Ubuntu pre-installed and supported for best hardware compatibility.
    Support companies that support Ubuntu and Linux solutions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matthewcraig View Post
    Have you heard of the Free Geek effort in Chicago to recycle / repurpose computer technology using Ubuntu / Xubuntu?

http://freegeekchicago.org/

They offer technical training and people can earn a computer with 20 hours of work there. Sounds like a great way to empower people with Free Software and low cost computing.

They are looking for individuals who want to get involved with their effort. Thought there might be some interest here.

WOW! That is a really wonderful program! Thanks!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Free Geek gave a talk at one of our meetings about 4 months ago or so. It was a good talk too.

If I recall correctly, they don't actually use Xubuntu, but instead they use a slightly modified derivative of Xubuntu for their installs. Jim Campbell, one of the members of the LoCo has been involved with them for as long as I can remember.

-Eddie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

hey all this thread looks dead but... i live in chicago too im using ubuntu on my main comp and kubuntu on the laptop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Does look a little dead...

<breathing some life back into thread>

whats up d^v3!

Beans

I live in Chicago. I'm a total n00b and of no use regarding anything - but I'm here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by dan l View Post
    I live in Chicago. I'm a total n00b and of no use regarding anything - but I'm here.
    I hear ya. I'm pretty useless as well. Hehe

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

As long as you want to learn Ubuntu/Linux, then you are more than welcome to come hang out... with that said, most of the talking and planning is done on IRC and the Mailing Lists, so I encourage you all to email us there and ask questions if you want any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

howdy, yall!

shoutout from the NW suburbs
    "Treason is truth in an empire of lies” -Ron Paul

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Better late than never?

So I have recently made the switch from windows and am very happy with ubuntu. As a result I am trying to get as involved as possible and came across this forum. Thought I would see what is going on and it appears not much unless you are involved with the IRC

I haven't done irc in a while and might have to try it. i looked at the wiki page which is supposed to show meetings, but the "Next" meeting on 3/8/08 still has a place "TBD" which makes me believe that isn't a good place for info.

if anybody is still in here, drop me a line, Im here and ill be here (until i have to try and move to irc at least)

Donn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast