Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Share updates across multiple machines

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Share updates across multiple machines

Here's some info that I am hoping might help on my error log messages. I tied to match my access log entries to my error log entries by time/date stamp and here's what I found.

Access log:
    Code:
    Sun May 18 07:53:51 2008|CLEANUPREFRESH|HIT|60872|us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_multiverse_source_Sources.bz2
    Sun May 18 07:53:51 2008|CLEANUPREFRESH|HIT|6397|us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_restricted_binary-amd64_Packages.bz2
    Sun May 18 07:53:52 2008|CLEANUPREFRESH|HIT|1488|us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_restricted_source_Sources.bz2
    Sun May 18 07:53:52 2008|CLEANUPREFRESH|HIT|4257395|us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_universe_binary-amd64_Packages.bz2
    Sun May 18 07:53:52 2008|CLEANUPREFRESH|HIT|1323029|us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_universe_source_Sources.bz2
    Sun May 18 07:54:33 2008|192.168.218.24|HIT|191|us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_Release.gpg
    Sun May 18 07:54:33 2008|192.168.218.24|HIT|191|security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy-security_Release.gpg
    Sun May 18 07:54:33 2008|192.168.218.24|HIT|191|archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_Release.gpg
    Error log:
    Code:
    Sun May 18 07:53:51 2008|INETD|info [6638]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Sun May 18 07:53:51 2008|INETD|info [6640]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Sun May 18 07:53:52 2008|INETD|info [6642]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Sun May 18 07:53:52 2008|INETD|info [6644]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Mon May 19 07:49:32 2008|INETD|info [25842]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Mon May 19 07:49:33 2008|INETD|info [25844]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Mon May 19 07:49:33 2008|INETD|info [25846]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Mon May 19 07:49:34 2008|INETD|info [25848]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Then next occurrences of the INETD error are later on the 19th when

Access log:
    Code:
    Mon May 19 07:50:07 2008|CLEANUPREFRESH|HIT|1488|us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_restricted_source_Sources.bz2
    Mon May 19 07:50:07 2008|CLEANUPREFRESH|HIT|4257395|us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_universe_binary-amd64_Packages.bz2
    Mon May 19 07:50:08 2008|CLEANUPREFRESH|HIT|1323029|us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_universe_source_Sources.bz2
    Mon May 19 07:53:37 2008|192.168.218.22|HIT|191|us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_Release.gpg
    Mon May 19 07:53:37 2008|192.168.218.22|HIT|191|security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy-security_Release.gpg
    Error log (EOF):
    Code:
    Mon May 19 07:50:07 2008|INETD|info [25987]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Mon May 19 07:50:07 2008|INETD|info [25989]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Mon May 19 07:50:07 2008|INETD|info [25991]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Going to the oldest (top) entries in the files shows the same pattern... no error entries until...
    Error log:
    Code:
    Fri May  9 07:44:34 2008|INETD|info [17032]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Fri May  9 07:44:35 2008|INETD|info [17035]: Warning: no running inetd server found
    Which coincides with...
    Access log:
    Code:
    Fri May  9 07:44:32 2008|127.0.0.1|HIT|173749|us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_multiverse_binary-amd64_Packages.bz2
    Fri May  9 07:44:35 2008|CLEANUPREFRESH|EXPIRED|7874|security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy-security_main_binary-amd64_Packages.gz
    Fri May  9 07:44:36 2008|CLEANUPREFRESH|HIT|1512492|us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_main_binary-amd64_Packages.gz
    From this I'm concluding that it's the the execution of "CLEANUPREFRESH" generating the error. Whatever "process" is triggering the error also seems to log it 1 second prior to the access log message.

Can anyone tell me a bit about what the "CLEANUPREFRESH" access log entry is about and what setting where triggers it? Is it apt-cacher's clean-up or apt's clean-up...I'm guessing apt-cacher's.

Thanx, Skip
    Last edited by Skip Da Shu; May 19th, 2008 at 10:01 PM.

Beans

I've just now gotten time to upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy. But when I try to upgrade using apt-cacher (as a proxy), I get the following error: "Authenticating the upgrade failed. There may be a problem with the network or with the server."

Any ideas what might be causing this error and how to fix it?

NOTE: I'm upgrading via update-manager, which does a bit more than simply switching my sources.list to hardy would. The latter method is too risky for my tastes.

Beans

OK, my upgrade problem appears to be due to bug 113658. I'm using the workaround in that bug, and the packages for the upgrade are currently downloading. That workaround is to disable the Acquire::http:roxy setting and modify sources.list instead. Here's an example line from my sources.list to illustrate this:
    Code:
    deb http://scott-desktop.mss:3142/archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy main restricted universe multiverse

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for that. Ironically, I scrapped that method a while back, thinking it was too messy

The guide has been updated with this workaround.
    I don't really mind, and it's starting to get to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Skip, your warning messages baffle me. I'm getting nothing like that, although many CLEANUPREFRESHes. Thus, I can only conclude that CLEANUPREFRESH expects, at some point, that inetd be running (as it is on my machine). This could be something internal to apt-cacher. I can't seem to find any option that might relate to this behaviour.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coolen View Post
    Thanks for that. Ironically, I scrapped that method a while back, thinking it was too messy

The guide has been updated with this workaround.
    Thanks. My upgrade was successful, and I immediately reverted the workaround, because I agree that that way is too messy. A few comments, though. First, my nick has nothing to do with MS servers. It's mssever, with only one R.

Second, I prefer to comment out the proxy config myself, instead of altering it. Maybe it's just personal preference...

Third, I'm glad I ran across your guide before you put all the sed commands in there. While I use regexps a lot, they're not particularly easy for humans to parse. And I actually prefer to operate from vim, instead of sed, which means I have to parse them before translating them to their vim equivalent. In fact, I'm wondering (and I don't know sed well enough to know the answer to this) if your sed command will fail in the case of a fresh install of apt-cacher. By default, /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01proxy doesn't exist, so when sed tries to match http:// it'll fail because it won't find a match. Unless sed does something odd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by coolen View Post
    Skip, your warning messages baffle me. I'm getting nothing like that, although many CLEANUPREFRESHes. Thus, I can only conclude that CLEANUPREFRESH expects, at some point, that inetd be running (as it is on my machine). This could be something internal to apt-cacher. I can't seem to find any option that might relate to this behaviour.
    Good, I don't feel so bad then. As I've been over the options a couple of times or more. I did find out one little more tidbit of information... but I think this would be expected. By changing the "clean_cache=" parm from "1" to "0" I no longer get the error.

I do have a questions.. not really related to the warning messages on inetd...

Do I understand that if I uncomment the 'daemon_addr=' line (with 'my.static.IP, localhost' in it) that apt-cacher will ONLY listen for requests coming to that IP? Assuming so... what is it listing on w/o it? So does it reduce some work apt-cacher otherwise has to do by "binding" it to nnn.nn?

Code:
    # optional setting, binds the listening daemon to one specified IP. Use IP
    # ranges for more advanced configuration, see below.
    # daemon_addr=192.168.nnn.nn, localhost
    Hmmm, the above uncommented gave me
    Code:
    skip@crunch20:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/apt-cacher start
    Starting Apt-Cacher: apt-cacherUnable to bind socket (port 3142), trying again in 5 seconds.
    Unable to bind socket (port 3142), trying again in 5 seconds.
    Last edited by Skip Da Shu; May 22nd, 2008 at 06:13 AM. Reason: updated info
    - da shu @ HeliOS,
    "A child's exposure to technology should never be predicated on an ability to afford it."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    Thanks. My upgrade was successful, and I immediately reverted the workaround, because I agree that that way is too messy. A few comments, though. First, my nick has nothing to do with MS servers. It's mssever, with only one R.

Second, I prefer to comment out the proxy config myself, instead of altering it. Maybe it's just personal preference...

Third, I'm glad I ran across your guide before you put all the sed commands in there. While I use regexps a lot, they're not particularly easy for humans to parse. And I actually prefer to operate from vim, instead of sed, which means I have to parse them before translating them to their vim equivalent. In fact, I'm wondering (and I don't know sed well enough to know the answer to this) if your sed command will fail in the case of a fresh install of apt-cacher. By default, /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01proxy doesn't exist, so when sed tries to match http:// it'll fail because it won't find a match. Unless sed does something odd.

Oh, sorry about the name. My bad. I'll fix it.

I put the sed commands in there because I prefer to give people commands they can just cut and paste. I feel it makes it easier, but it does look messy, and it's not as easy to read. I might give the sed commands as an alternative. It'd also helps those who use tools like whereami to auto-configure their laptop to have a command, rather than either swapping it out for another file or figuring the sed commands out themselves.

Also, you're right about 01proxy not being there. My bad.

Beans

add these line to /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/clean ; so apt cache will be automatically cleaned up after installation.
    Code:
    DPkg::Post-Invoke {"/bin/rm -f /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb || true";};
    This works well for my chroots. It should work well for desktop pcs and servers too. Note that you can't use apt-get clean instead of rm, because apt fails since it is already running.

Beans

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how to create a local repo from DVD/CD's (Hardy 8.04) already downloaded?

Thanks for a great forum. I has "all" the answers for us newbies!
    (Has anyone found the questions yet? )

Christiaan.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast