Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Share updates across multiple machines

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: Share updates across multiple machines

You may have some trouble if your server uses the localhost method, but if not, I don't see that it'd cause any troubles.

I'll look into it and get back to you.
    I don't really mind, and it's starting to get to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Is there anyway you can force cacher to automatically update them before you need them? For instance I have one computer that is 64 and another that is 32. Since it only updates when you need them, there is really no point. I would like the server to fetch the packages before I need them. Is that possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm not sure how apt-cacher would be useful in this case. The only way it would save you anything would be for no-arch packages (which, in the case of games, can actually represent the largest download), but either way, you're only saving yourself some time when you go to do the upgrade on the first client machine.

One solution would be pre-caching. If you place any package in /var/cache/apt-cacher/import and run
    Code:
    sudo /usr/share/apt-cacher/apt-cacher-import.pl
    your packages will be available for direct dtreaming to clients.

As it is, I believe apt-cacher will onloy respond to requests from clients to actually fetch packages itself. If you're just looking to make the process more automatic, you could set the upgrade process to run daily.

Beans
    Distro

Let me try to be more clear and see if it changes your answer. Lets say I only have on machine. I want the "server" to fetch the downloads ahead of time so that when my computer updates it uses those updates? Does that make more sense?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by phynix View Post
    Let me try to be more clear and see if it changes your answer. Lets say I only have on machine. I want the "server" to fetch the downloads ahead of time so that when my computer updates it uses those updates? Does that make more sense?
    Yeah, I got what you were asking. Apt-cacher cannot do this.

However, I do have a solution for you. It lies in APT itself.

Code:
    sudo apt-get -d update
    The -d tells it to fetch packages only. You may now optionally clear the cache as above, or do both with this command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get -d update && sudo apt-get clean
    I just tried this out, and it seems to be working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by onegreenparker View Post
    All sounds good, but will this work if the server is running 6.06 and the desktops are running anything later?
    Wow, sorry I let this go. Life kind of caught up with me.

Anyway, I can now confirm that it works with different versions of Ubuntu. I have my server running Hardy, and my brother's desktop on Gutsy.

Apt-cacher should keep meta-information on different packages and should be able to deliver the requested version without conflict.

You probably either discovered this yourself or gave up. My bad. Anyway, it works, as far as I know.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, I don't know why i didn't think of that haha. Wow. Next question is can you make apt download packagaes not made for the architecture.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i just have a quick question before i do this. with very tight australian broadband access (completly homo).

I have my computers here with ubuntu, setup to download from my ISP's ubuntu mirror as to not add the downloads to my monthly quota.. just curious as to where i would put my custom server.list settings, be it the normal /etc/apt/sources.list or somewhere with the apt-cacher?

just want to get a better understanding of this before i proceed, as i want my server to use this caching method along with the other 5 pcs i have here using various flavours of ubuntu.

cheers., (hope i make sense)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by stanna View Post
    i just have a quick question before i do this. with very tight australian broadband access (completly homo).

I have my computers here with ubuntu, setup to download from my ISP's ubuntu mirror as to not add the downloads to my monthly quota.. just curious as to where i would put my custom server.list settings, be it the normal /etc/apt/sources.list or somewhere with the apt-cacher?

just want to get a better understanding of this before i proceed, as i want my server to use this caching method along with the other 5 pcs i have here using various flavours of ubuntu.

cheers., (hope i make sense)
    Hey, a fellow Aussie

If you mean the settings to use apt-cacher, they go in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01proxy

Simply add the line I mentioned in the post (with the appropriate hostname value) and APT will do the right thing from then on for all repositories.

I hope that answers your question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

so just to clarrigy, if im using internode mirror for my updates

Code:
    deb http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/ubuntu/ gutsy universe main restricted multiverse
    deb http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe main restricted multiverse
    deb http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/ubuntu/ gutsy-proposed universe main restricted multiverse
    deb http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/ubuntu/ gutsy-backports universe main restricted multiverse

deb-src http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/ubuntu/ gutsy universe main restricted multiverse
    deb-src http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/ubuntu/ gutsy-updates universe main restricted multiverse
    deb-src http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/ubuntu/ gutsy-proposed universe main restricted multiverse
    deb-src http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/ubuntu/ gutsy-backports universe main restricted multiverse
    do i put that exact text into 01proxy file?

sorry to get you to basicly do it for me, im just very unsure of how all this works.. little slow

..and yes good old aussie. im a melbournite!!
    batmans a scientist!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast