Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wesnoth Reaching 1.0 - Help if You Can by Playing!

Beans

Re: Wesnoth Reaching 1.0 - Help if You Can by Playing!

Quote Originally Posted by charlieg
    Whilst Wesnoth is a fun game, is it really appropriate that this thread is sticky? I mean, Wesnoth has an incredibly active community so they're not short on players testing out the game or developers contributing art and code. Why does Wesnoth deserve any special attention over other FOSS games?

The forums are not the medium for official activism and by that I mean those who have moderator privileges should not abuse those rights to promote individual games - as opposed to people discussing games they like which is, of course, completely acceptable.

This thread is an advertisement.
    Thank you for your thoughts.

I can advertise whatever game I want in the games section.

If you dont like the advertisement, please look elsewhere.

The Free Software movement is about community. Not just the community of Ubuntu. Many other Free Software project deserve recognition, and if I can help them I will. I have advertised Nexuiz in the past, and I chose to advertise Battle For Wesnoth now. If I can help people find a game they never knew existed or aid Wesnoth, I will in whatever way I can.

Should I dump my games list because it is a advertisement for ALL games listed? No, and I won't.

When Quake 3 source goes GPL I am going to sticky that too.
    Last edited by jdodson; August 16th, 2005 at 04:36 PM.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well I'd argue the games list is different but I'm not gonna argue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

great game. I have always wanted a Civ3 + warcraft mix... Excelent.
    Although I would change/add a few things:
    • Icons: The sidebar is a bit confusing at first sight. Too much text may confuse the non-rpg gamer.
    • In-game documentation: Evolution of characters, right click > Info on this unit, would be a great addition.
    • Auto save campaign progress: As seen in w3, starcraft. Each time you finish a chapter in the campaign, you can restart it by going to the main menu > campaign > select what campaign to play > select what chapter of the campaign to play.
    • .desktop file: well, there isnt one when you create a package. I hope the final version gets one (and a working one). I can see a wesnoth.desktop file in the icons folder, but thats it.
    • Change tracks: As you play the campaign, when you finish a chapter, the track keeps playing in the back. A nice "victory" or "failure" kind of sound woudlnt hurt, besides stoping the track in the background. After the user clicks the accept button, a different track should start playing in the background.
    • Day clock: A better day clock wouldnt be bad neither. Saying how many turns until sunset, how many until night falls down, etc...
    • Skins: I'm positive if the game would allow easy to handle skins (maybe zip packs), skinners would develop better graphics. Hell, they could even make wesnoth 4000 (Although I love final fantasy pre-VII graphics. I'm all for the dark wizards kind of look).

Well, thats it. I don't know who I should tell these things, so I post them here. Also, from the forums, I read this:
    Quote Originally Posted by miyo
    Because we are building this game for ourselves and for our preferences, not for you. If you like the game as we like it - that is good. If you hate the game - that is also fine.

So what is the point of asking for ideas? Because devs are just common people, we come up with many ideas, but so do players. If player comes up with an idea we like - we might implement it. Not because you asked for it - we do it because we like the feature.

You are free to re-use any work in Wesnoth, as long as you follow rules of GPL, to build the game of your preferences. Don't expect us to build that game for you.
    I think that I could get flamed If I posted these things
    Last edited by RastaMahata; August 17th, 2005 at 03:27 AM.

Beans

Talking Re: Wesnoth Reaching 1.0 - Help if You Can by Playing!

Anyone know how to get 0.9.5 without compiling from source?

Is it in a Breezy repo? If so can it be installed in Hoary without screwing anything up? Thanks.

Ok not in Breezy, it is in Debain Unstable go figure.

Ended up compiling and installing from source.

Had to install the required SDL packages using Synaptic.
    Then downloaded freetype2.1 , had to compile it; no biggie.
    After that the config went ok. Make seemed to take forever, and by forever I mean over an hour. Ran make install. Opened wesnoth and poof it was able to connect to the online game server.

Took about an hour and a half, with running Synaptic, the downloads and the two compiles. But it was worth it.

Wesnoth rocks, now if I could only not get my butt kicked every time I play online.
    Last edited by craigevil; August 18th, 2005 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Had to install from source, not in Synaptic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

A package would be very nice. Might the debian unstable package work?

Beans

I created a x86 package of Battle for Wesnoth using checkinstall. I will upload it to my site later today and provide the download.

It works well for me, but I wouldnt submit it to the MOTU or anything.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12