Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

Quote Originally Posted by phenest View Post
    Then the wacom has not rotated. What happens if you type:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set stylus Rotate CCW
    from a terminal? Any error messages? If not, test the pen again. Any difference?

Report back with the results.
    Running the above code through the terminal window did not make any difference. I can confirm that the pen works because it works under windows.

May I ask what version of wacom project and ubuntu are you using on your tablet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by olaoni View Post
    May I ask what version of wacom project and ubuntu are you using on your tablet?
    I'm not. I sold my tablet a while ago, but someone here has reported the tablet works fine with Hardy and the rotate script works. I'm at a loss as to why yours does not.
    "Knowledge is power. Who said that?" - Dave Lister

Beans

The problem seems to be that the following line of code
    xsetwacom set stylus Rotate CCW
    I don't think it is working correctly, do you know of any other command that can set the stylus pen.

Aearenda is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Here is the script I use to toggle my TC1100 screen rotation on Ubuntu Hardy, both screen and tablet. I have it set to trigger when I click on a panel launcher.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # Based on work from Patrick Coke & Tim Pope
    # Modified for TC1100 by Francisco Athens
    # Rewritten for current xsetwacom and xrandr vesrions by Krzysztof Kosiński
    # Adapted for me to work as a toggle - SCJ 1/3/08

# Rotate all detected wacom devices to the given direction,
    # and the screen!

ROTATION=`xrandr --verbose --query | \
          grep 'default connected' | \
          sed -e 's/^.*(.*) \(.*\) (.*).*$/\1/'`

case $ROTATION in
        normal)	xsetwacom set stylus rotate ccw
    		xrandr -o left ;;
        left)	xsetwacom set stylus rotate none
    		xrandr -o normal ;;
    esac
    I use the stock wacom-tools 1.0.7.9.8-0ubuntu3 installed from the standard repositories. I don't have anything called linuxwacom installed. My /etc/X11/xorg.conf contains the following, in addition to the entries required for the keyboard, screen and mouse :
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
            Driver          "wacom"
            Identifier      "stylus"
            Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"      
            Option          "Type"          "stylus"
            Option          "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"         # Tablet PC ONLY
            Option          "Button2"       "3" # This is the line you need for the stylus button to right click
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
            <other stuff goes here too - just add the following "stylus" line, 
            the Section/EndSection lines are shown here so you know where it belongs>
            InputDevice     "stylus"        "SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection
    Last edited by Aearenda; September 27th, 2008 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Added Xorg entries. Clarified addition of entries.

Beans

Hi Aearenda I just tried the script you proivded and things are still the same. I don't know if it is possible for you to try the copy of xorg.conf I posted in post #71 on you tc1100.
    I was just wondering if the ordering of the entries in the xorg file play any role to this behaviour.
    I am very new to linux so can you elaborate a bit more on the statement stock wacom-tools 1.0.7.9.8-0ubuntu3 installed from the standard repositories

I built the wacom_drv.so I am using from the wacom project website and it is labeled
    linuxwacom-0.8.1-3

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by olaoni View Post
    Hi Aearenda I just tried the script you proivded and things are still the same. I don't know if it is possible for you to try the copy of xorg.conf I posted in post #71 on you tc1100.
    I was just wondering if the ordering of the entries in the xorg file play any role to this behaviour.
    I am very new to linux so can you elaborate a bit more on the statement stock wacom-tools 1.0.7.9.8-0ubuntu3 installed from the standard repositories

I built the wacom_drv.so I am using from the wacom project website and it is labeled
    linuxwacom-0.8.1-3
    The xorg.conf has nothing to do with rotation except to tell the X server to use the stylus. But seeing as you've mentioned that you're using a custom built driver, then that is your problem. This How To was not designed to be used with custom drivers. If you're using a driver obtained from the Wacom Project, then you need to discuss it with them, as it is outside the scope of this tutorial.

For someone who is new to Linux, I'm amazed you managed to custom build a Wacom driver, but you can't follow this How To.

If I were you, I would re-install Hardy fresh, and read post #1 again taking note of sections for Gutsy. It does work provided you don't try and add stuff that isn't there.

Beans
    Distro

Olaoni, I agree with Phenest, your problem is most likely to do with the custom drivers you have installed. That's what I meant in my post - I haven't taken anything from Wacom's site, all I did was
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wacom-tools
    and this installed the required drivers for me with no further fuss.

EDIT: By 'no further fuss' I meant no need to compile anything - I stll had to modify xorg.conf as described earlier.
    Last edited by Aearenda; September 13th, 2008 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Clearing up confusion

Beans

Thanks for your support phenest and Aearenda. I will re-install ubuntu at the earliest opportunity I get and let you know how it went.

Just for the record when I installed wacom-tools I used is the above command. The reason for the custom build was to get get the pen buttons to work.

The tutorial I followed was from:-http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...01#post3672701
    And like I mentioned in my first mail I got the pen buttons working satisfactorily.

Moreover the tutorial used linuxwacom-0.7.8-3.tar.bz2. Which when I built did not work under ubuntu Hardy. So I had to build with linuxwacom-0.8.1-3.tar.bz2 which does work (Pen button functionality at least).

Beans
    Distro

Good luck! Just for the record, I have never bothered with trying to get the extra buttons to work as described in that thread.

Beans
    Distro

olaoni: The thread you refer to is something I and another member were working on, and indeed, did get it working. We did both submit our findings to the Wacom Project, but heard nothing back. Of course, our fix was only a workaround and not a true fix. If I still had the tablet, I would have worked on it further. It's a shame those buttons still don't work 'out of the box'.

Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast