Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

Quote Originally Posted by MyR View Post
    Here's how to boot the tc1100 with a USB drive: (Sorry, I don't have it in front of me & yeppp I haven't forgotten about you; I'll have an answer when I have more time to play with it.)

Plug in the USB drive
    Turn on the tablet
    press the jogdial while BIOS is coming up
    go down to system setup or whatever
    go over to boot order
    go down to hard drive and hit enter to show options
    change the order of the hard drives so that the USB drive is on top
    save and exit
    That's it! I did my 10.04 install from USB a couple of months ago. The TC1100 is the first computer I've had that will reliably boot from a USB thumb drive! Even my Macbook Pro won't do it!

Cheers,
    Randy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Winchester View Post
    That's it! I did my 10.04 install from USB a couple of months ago. The TC1100 is the first computer I've had that will reliably boot from a USB thumb drive! Even my Macbook Pro won't do it!

Cheers,
    Randy
    Fiddlesticks. That's exactly what I did. BIOS recognizes the device, even lists it by volume name, and I can move it up and down the boot order, even disable all other boot sources, and it skips it when actually booting. At power on I can see the thumb being accesses, but it quickly relaxes into LED snore mode, which is what happens when I have it plugged in but unmounted. I can boot my laptop with the thumb. Perhaps it's a specific hardware conflict with this thumb. I haven't got an external CD, but I'll borrow an external SATA disk from work and see if I can boot to that using USB.

Thanks for the responses~
    nl

Beans

Has anyone successfully gotten the 10.10 Unity UI to work properly. I have been struggling at it for a while.

So far I installed the official Nvidia driver installer. I can get the unity to boot up, but it starts flashing and restarting and basically unusable. It's a shame, because the UI seems so nice. Does anyone know how exactly to get it working. This is kinda the whole reason I got the tablet in the first place.

Should I give pre-release drivers a chance. I don't really care about 3D acceleration, I just want unity to work.

Thanks so much.

EDIT: After doing research, I think this is the bug problem.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...96/+bug/626974
    Now maybe I could go back to 1.7 or 8 of Xorg. Is there a way to do that?
    TheLegace.
    Last edited by TheLegace; December 11th, 2010 at 11:26 PM.

Reason why i registered here was this Tutorial and to say thanks for it. I read through the compete thread and i just want to say thanks for it

Beans

Hi All,

I've just managed to get hold of a TC1100 and have successfully installed 10.10 Netbook edition and have the nvidia-96 driver working but I can't seem to get Compiz working. I've not touched Linux in about 5 years so I'm a little rusty.

I've installed Simple CompizConfig after reading various walkthroughs and I can select the various options under Appearance > Visual Effects but when it goes to apply the settings it reverts back to the 'None' setting.

What's the best way to test that compiz can run? I'm guessing I need to change some options in the xorg.conf but I'm not sure what.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Matt

Aearenda is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't use the netbook edition, but if I recall correctly there was a clash between compiz and the netbook launcher (which uses clutter) in earlier versions, and this may still be true with Unity in 10.10. This problem will go away with natty, where the new version of Unity uses compiz anyway.

In the mean time, maybe you could switch over to a standard Gnome session - at the GDM login screen, look at the list of sessions available at the bottom of the screen. You may have to select a user name first. If it's not there I'm sure there is a way to install it alongside the Netbook session, probably by installing the 'ubuntu-desktop' package and all its dependencies, but I can't say I've tried it. If Compiz won't enable in the standard session, then there's something deeper wrong (assuming you've followed the instructions about the Nvidia settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf in this thread already).

For reference, my /etc/X11/xorg.conf on 10.10 has just this:
    Code:
    Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	DefaultDepth	24
    	Option	"AddARGBGLXVisuals"	"True"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    	Load	"glx"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Default Device"
    	Driver	"nvidia"
    	Option	"NoLogo"	"True"
    	Option	"RandRRotation"	"True"
    	Option	"NvAGP"		"1"
            Option  "AddARGBGLXVisuals"     "True"
    EndSection
    I reckon one of the 'AddARGBGLXVisuals' items is superfluous, but I'm not sure which one!
    Last edited by Aearenda; January 24th, 2011 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Added xorg.conf

Beans

I'm actually using the normal desktop instead of the Netbook desktop and it doesn't work in either

The notebook desktop loads up but as soon as you over over an icon it reloads itself.

I did try the added options to the xorg.conf from this thread but couldn't get the driver to load - I'll try what you've provided and see what happens!

Thanks,
    Matt

Beans

I've fixed it!

Ran it from command-line to see any output and I was just missing a window manager - installed Emerald and it works perfectly!

So it looks like The current release of the nVidia driver along with the automatically detected settings makes everything work out of the box!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by MattPurland View Post
    So it looks like The current release of the nVidia driver along with the automatically detected settings makes everything work out of the box!
    Matt,

Which version of Nvidia driver is this? Is it in the Ubuntu repository, or was it downloaded from Nvidia?

Cheers,
    Randy
    Randy Winchester
    PO Box 426074
    Cambridge, MA 02142

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I installed Netbook Remix 10.10 on a TC1100 tonight, and I still haven't seen the Unity interface. Got the wireless working, have been updating, etc. How do i switch to the Unity interface if i want to? I got a message on first startup that i would need to type username:ubuntu with a password I forgot, but have just been using the original ubuntu desktop.

Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast