Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

Quote Originally Posted by melkor2.0 View Post
    Ok, problem solved, you have to use a program to know the interruption signal of the keyboard, like "xev"
    Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBiker View Post
    I wanted to install ubuntu again but my HP TC1100 won't boot from USB anymore !
    I have an external CD drive so I didn't have to install with a USB key but I have a few questions.
    1. Did you press the jog dial during bios startup to manually select removable device as the boot option?
    2. Does your usb key work to boot other computers?
    3. Have you tried using both usb ports?
    4. when you say you flashed the bios but it didn't work, do you mean flashing the bios didn't work? or just that it didn't solve your problem?
    5. After you tried flashing the bios, did you make sure that the boot devices were properly configured again?
    6. Does your usb key have a light that show it's being read from, and if yes, does it blink when you are trying to boot from it?
    30 seconds is a very long time for bios to take, mine takes 10 seconds (still long in my opinion) so if nothing above helps, then perhaps you have a hardware problem (which may also explain why you couldn't install winxp).
    You could always buy/borrow an external CD drive to try that out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Calamaro View Post
    I just picked up an HP TC1000...

To this point I've done some Googling and searched the Ubuntu forums but virtually all information on this topic is for the TC1100 not the TC1000.

Can I follow the TC1100 install guide or would that be asking for trouble?
    Much of my ubuntu tutorial on the TC1100 should apply to the TC1000. The one thing I'm not sure of is the tc1100-wmi driver that controls the jogdial and wireless card status.

Quote Originally Posted by olaoni View Post
    Below is a link to the mouse technical spec.
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q...12618_div.HTML
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...56&postcount=7

peace
    Ubuntu user since 5.10 "Breezy Badger"
    Please share your experience with your Linux Printer!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MyR View Post
    Much of my ubuntu tutorial on the TC1100 should apply to the TC1000. The one thing I'm not sure of is the tc1100-wmi driver that controls the jogdial and wireless card status.
    Thanks. I'll be sure to use that as a resource for my impending install. I'm trying to cobble together as much information as possible on the topic and to this point the only main roadblocks I've come across are:

1. The stylus is not the standard, supported Wacom type. I did find a fix here, however:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=tc1000

2. I've also read that Ubuntu has an awful time with the Transmetta CPU in the TC1000 however I have no idea how badly this impacts performance or if there's a fix.

3. There seems to be some general issues with screen rotation as well as video drivers. But again I can't say if this will negatively impact my experience. I don't intend to do any hefty 3D stuff but I'd like to run Compiz Fusion.

In retrospect I probably should have picked a more supported tablet however there really wasn't much in the sub $300 price range to select from (and certainly nothing at all for the $89 I ended paying for the TC1000).

Beans

Unhappy Re: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...56&postcount=7

peace[/QUOTE]

Hi MyR,

I tried the suggestion on the link above but didn't make a difference.
    I will however would like to say thanks for your help. I guess I just have to keep on searching for a solution.

What ever the ubuntu team did differently in 8.10 bluetooth stack that made things work. I hope it is reproduced in 9.10 or I have to shamefully return to the world of Windows

Regards

Ola

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by olaoni View Post
    What ever the ubuntu team did differently in 8.10 bluetooth stack that made things work. I hope it is reproduced in 9.10 or I have to shamefully return to the world of Windows
    Did you read that entire thread? I would advise posting for help on that one.

Another thing you could try is removing the latest version of bluetooth and installing an older version.

Surprising that you would pick windows over ubuntu 8.10 but hey, at least you gave it a fair shot.

peace

Beans

Surprising that you would pick windows over ubuntu 8.10 but hey, at least you gave it a fair shot.

peace
    It is with great regret that I have come to be considering this. I have been constantly battling with one problem or another on ubuntu. Whilst I have lots of development work to be doing?

I will wait for the release of 9.10 before I make my final call.
    Thanks for your support. One great thing about ubuntu I must admit is the friendly support that is given by the community.

Regards

Ola

Aearenda is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Calamaro View Post
    I just picked up an HP TC1000 in an (ill advised?) attempt to get an internet tablet that's got more screen real estate and functionality than my Nokia N800. Ideally I'd like to install Ubuntu on this tablet once it arrives.

<snip>

Any suggestions or advice? Can I follow the TC1100 install guide or would that be asking for trouble?
    The TC1000 is different - it uses a Crusoe processor, an older Nvidia chip that crashes with recent kernels unless you only use the nv driver, the pen interface is much more problematic, and there are problems with standby and hibernate. I've tried it, and I can tell you you will not be satisfied. My best effort used LXDE with a Jaunty minimal install. I even tried using Gentoo so that I could compile everything specifically for the TC1000, but it was just too hard. Best recommendation is to get a TC1100 off ebay!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks for sharing!

I have an external CD drive so I didn't have to install with a USB key but I have a few questions.
    1. Did you press the jog dial during bios startup to manually select removable device as the boot option?
    2. Does your usb key work to boot other computers?
    3. Have you tried using both usb ports?
    4. when you say you flashed the bios but it didn't work, do you mean flashing the bios didn't work? or just that it didn't solve your problem?
    5. After you tried flashing the bios, did you make sure that the boot devices were properly configured again?
    6. Does your usb key have a light that show it's being read from, and if yes, does it blink when you are trying to boot from it?
    30 seconds is a very long time for bios to take, mine takes 10 seconds (still long in my opinion) so if nothing above helps, then perhaps you have a hardware problem (which may also explain why you couldn't install winxp).
    You could always buy/borrow an external CD drive to try that out as well.
    Well, the short answer is that I'm an idiot : I thought that the usb disk should have appeared in the "Removable Disk" list but it appeared in the "Hard Disk" instead, a list that I didn't try to explore. I was fooled by my habits with another laptop of mine...

Beans

MyR,

I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04 on a TC1100 using your excellect tutorial and I too am stuck at this point:

patching file src/xdrv/wcmISDV4.c
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 231.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/xdrv/wcmISDV4.c.rej

I tried starting from source as you posted earlier, but no joy.

Do you have any other suggestions to get around this problem?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maydaydog View Post
    I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04 on a TC1100 using your excellent tutorial and I too am stuck at this point:

patching file src/xdrv/wcmISDV4.c
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 231.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/xdrv/wcmISDV4.c.rej

I tried starting from source as you posted earlier, but no joy.
    You can try the tutorial on LQ's quide. It's a little different than the one I use. Please post your results.

Beans

You can try the tutorial on LQ's quide. It's a little different than the one I use. Please post your results.
    I tried the tutorial on LQ's guide, and I still got stuck at the same spot with the same error message.

I swapped out my hard drive and installed Ubuntu 8.04, ugraded in sequence to 8.10 and then to 9.04. After I updated 9.04, I started your tutorial and I ended up getting stuck at the same spot again.

I used xbindkeys for b:151 to rotate the screen, but this did not do me much good since the pen did not follow along in the correct orientation.

I think I can live without the 3 stylus buttons or the ability to use the tablet rotated.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion, MyR.

Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast