Page 22 of 55 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

Both of these steps assume that you are still using the console from which you did the installation of the lxde packages earlier. You can't use leafpad since there is no previously-installed GUI in the Intrepid instructions, unlike the Hardy instructions. After opening nano on /etc/slim.conf you should make the change from 'xfce4-session' to 'startlxde' as described on the linked page http://ubuntu-lxde.wikidot.com/slim (but nano uses different keystrokes from leafpad - F6 or CTRL and W are used for searching, and F2 (or CTRL and X) then Y and ENTER to save); then you save that file, and do the second command, which creates ~/.xinitrc (note, not ~/.xinitrd) containing the one line 'exec startlxde'. I hope this makes sense!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

excellent thanks!... I have finished the LXDE install, I really like it, except that I cannot get my wireless working, can you offer any tips?
    Last edited by pvhoward; March 31st, 2009 at 06:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro

The TC1000 wireless is an Atmel device I think - it needs firmware. I remember getting it going and then giving up on it since it is so slow (10Mb/s max, not 54), and it always hung the machine on shutdown. I recommend you get an external wireless device (USB or PCMCIA), or buy a dead TC1100 on ebay and use the mini-pci wireless from that (which does work in a TC1000 - I've done it), or indeed get another wireless card from almost any source!

PS - you could try using ndiswrapper to run the wireless using the Windows XP driver, downloaded from HP's website. But again, it's slow, and it only does WEP not WPA, so I suggest you ditch the internal wireless.
    Last edited by Aearenda; March 31st, 2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Added PS.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Aearenda View Post
    I recommend you get an external wireless device (USB or PCMCIA), or buy a dead TC1100 on ebay and use the mini-pci wireless from that (which does work in a TC1000 - I've done it), or indeed get another wireless card from almost any source!
    Just run a search for intel pro wireless cards on ebay, they're 100% supported by ubuntu (and they're really solid hardware too):
    http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
    You can get them as cheap as 9$ including shipping. TC1100 uses 2100 model, but if you get the newer 2200 - that's even better. Just make sure it's mini-pci, not mini pci-e
    Last edited by mr_deimos; April 1st, 2009 at 01:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Just FYI - I did a fresh install of 9.04 (Jaunty) on my crippled TC1100, and it is working well - much faster start up.

I installed the Nvidia driver, copied my xorg.conf unchanged from Intrepid to get the tablet to work, and I installed the latest madwifi wireless driver from source. I added tc1100-wmi to /etc/modules. It still takes a long time to associate on wireless. Since I no longer use this away from home (it will not restart properly when warm - Nvidia goes AWOL), I didn't bother with the side buttons.
    Last edited by Aearenda; April 25th, 2009 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Added last sentence

Beans
    Distro

Hi all,

I've just installed Jaunty on my TC1100 and cannot seem to get the screen rotation going properly. With a rotate script I can get the screen to rotate by not the cursor nor stylus. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
    Rayaz

Beans
    Distro

Hi Rayaz,

The problem is that the callout in the 10-wacom.fdi file returns HAL/D-BUS names that are not recognized by linuxwacom. So xsetwacom doesn't work. No rotation of wacom devices or wacomcpl. Rec discovered this and came up with a script to fix it here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1122952

If you read Jaunty Users near the top here you'll see there seems to be two ways to go. One is to use rec's script. The link takes you to a HOW TO at post #104 on page 11: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1038949 Since you have a serial tablet you shouldn't need to worry about the wacom.ko stuff.

Timo Aaltonen (who patched the "native" Jaunty 0.8.2-2 linuxwacom to work with HAL and Xserver 1.6) also has a ppa for xorg-xserver where he may have fixed the problem. It's been up a few days so who knows when it'll be in an update.

Beans

Hi Rayaz,
    I've just installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my TC1100 to get rid of some issues with stylus button and a PCMCIA Aircard.

The rotation works properly, this is the code I used (get from internet):
    Code:
    IFS=$'\n'
    DEVS=`xsetwacom list dev | \
       sed -e 's/ *$//g' -e 's/\(.*\) .*/\1/g' -e 's/ *$//g'`
    ROTATION=`xrandr --verbose --query | \
       grep 'default connected' | \
       sed -e 's/^.*(.*) \(.*\) (.*).*$/\1/'`

# Rotate all detected wacom devices to the given direction.
    function rotate_devices()
    {
       for DEV in $DEVS; do
          xsetwacom set $DEV rotate $1
       done
    }

if [[ ! $ROTATION == "normal" ]]; then
       xrandr -o normal
       rotate_devices none
    else
       xrandr -o left
       rotate_devices ccw
    fi
    exit 0
    Initially I wasn't able to make the sylus rotate, but this was because the stylus wasn't recognized as mouse device in xorg.conf file.

here's the code I added to xorg.conf:

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier "stylus"
       Driver     "wacom"
       Option     "Type"        "stylus"
       Option     "Device"      "/dev/input/wacom" 
       #Option     "Device"      "/dev/ttyS0"
       Option     "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" 
       Option     "Button2" 	"3"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
       Identifier "Default Layout"
       Screen "Default Screen"
       InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection
    A problem I have is that the stylus have to be activated by terminal command:
    Code:
    echo "1" > /dev/input/wacom
    So I'm trying to set this command on system startup (but I don't know how).

Another problem I have with 9.04 release is that xbindkeys doesn't work at all, so I'm still not able to have the stylus and Q buttons working.

@Aearenda
    I didn't install the madwifi wireless driver since the wi-fi connection is fast and smoothly working, do you suggest to install this driver anyway?
    Last edited by bigbamboo; April 27th, 2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

If your wi-fi is working, don't mess with it! I installed the latest to see if it would associate faster, and it doesn't.

You can add system startup commands to /etc/rc.local - but I didn't have to do anything to make the stylus work apart from the xorg.conf change.

Page 22 of 55 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast