Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

ok so i may sound like a moron here but im fresh to linux and have had too many problems just getting it running.

im trying to get ubuntu 8.10 intrepid ibex to run on my Compaq tc1100. unfortunately the install deleted my xp partition by accident and now i've lost all the functions i got the laptop for!

problems i'm having are as follows

no wireless (no internet at all)
    no pen functions
    no tablet buttons functions
    can't read from my regular usb drive (i had to dedicate one to the linux install)

i've been searching forums and websites for days now with no luck. just lots of jargon and patches etc that i cant understand or get to work in the way they seem to for everyone else.

i really love this laptop and need it to work properly as soon as possible. please help. im going insane with this.

Aearenda is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Everyone feels that way when they first start - up the creek without a paddle, and with the water running fast! Patience is needed I'm writing this from a docked TC1100 running Ubuntu 8.10 with the pen, side buttons, external monitor, screen rotation and wireless working, and with which USB drives work normally, so I assure you it can be made to work. The only thing I have difficulty with at present is hibernation, but I rarely want to use that since Linux hibernation is no faster for me than a full startup on the TC1100 - I just leave it in standby when I want to save power.

By the way, to reinstall Windows XP, you would need the recovery CDs and a USB CD drive.

First, can you confirm my understanding of how things stand with Ubuntu.

1. You're definitely using a TC1100 (made by HP really, since they took Compaq over after the TC1000 and before the TC1100), and not a TC1000. I have a TC1000 as well, and it is much slower than the TC1100 and significantly different inside.

2. There are variants of the TC1100 - from your recall of running Windows XP, does yours have a Celeron or Pentium-M CPU, and does it have an Atheros or an Intel Wireless card? Don't worry about this now if you don't know.

3. It sounds to me as though you have used a USB-drive installation method instead of the standard CD, probably because you don't have a USB CD drive. I think this because you say 'I had to dedicate one (USB drive) to the linux install'; but alternatively, you could be saying that you have actually installed Ubuntu on the USB drive. Which is it?

4. Somehow in the process the Windows partition has been deleted or become unbootable. Is this because the partition was really deleted, or perhaps because the boot sector on the hard drive was erased? You can explore this by pressing 'ESC' when the system says 'Press Esc to enter menu' as it starts up (if it does), and then selecting the Windows XP entry on the menu, if it exists. Ubuntu will always add such an entry if it finds an existing Windows partition.

5. Does the wired network interface work? It should just work without any fiddling, once you have logged on to Ubuntu, giving you Internet access using Firefox, assuming the network it is plugged in to will offer it an IP address using DHCP, just like with Windows. If you had to configure Windows specially to make it work when wired, then the same settings will be needed for Ubuntu.

I'll leave it there for now, since the next set of instructions depend greatly on how things stand, and I don't want to make it worse.

Beans

Thanks for helping me out here Aearenda. unfortunately i bought the tc1100 second hand, so i didn't get the recovery disk or any of the authentic windows software. this was one of the reasons i want to switch to ubuntu. i hope its not a problem where i'll have to go and buy XP tablet pc windows to make this work.

let me clear this up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Aearenda View Post

1. You're definitely using a TC1100 (made by HP really, since they took Compaq over after the TC1000 and before the TC1100), and not a TC1000. I have a TC1000 as well, and it is much slower than the TC1100 and significantly different inside.

2. There are variants of the TC1100 - from your recall of running Windows XP, does yours have a Celeron or Pentium-M CPU, and does it have an Atheros or an Intel Wireless card? Don't worry about this now if you don't know.

3. It sounds to me as though you have used a USB-drive installation method instead of the standard CD, probably because you don't have a USB CD drive. I think this because you say 'I had to dedicate one (USB drive) to the linux install'; but alternatively, you could be saying that you have actually installed Ubuntu on the USB drive. Which is it?

4. Somehow in the process the Windows partition has been deleted or become unbootable. Is this because the partition was really deleted, or perhaps because the boot sector on the hard drive was erased? You can explore this by pressing 'ESC' when the system says 'Press Esc to enter menu' as it starts up (if it does), and then selecting the Windows XP entry on the menu, if it exists. Ubuntu will always add such an entry if it finds an existing Windows partition.

5. Does the wired network interface work? It should just work without any fiddling, once you have logged on to Ubuntu, giving you Internet access using Firefox, assuming the network it is plugged in to will offer it an IP address using DHCP, just like with Windows. If you had to configure Windows specially to make it work when wired, then the same settings will be needed for Ubuntu.
    1.I'm definitely using a tc1100, with the cd dock and a usb keyboard and mouse.

2.i think it runs on a Celeron cpu. i managed to get the wireless card working. the problem was i had to turn it on in the bios. now i can connect online but still have no pen features.

3.For the install of Ubuntu, i downloaded ubuntu .iso image and burned it to a cd for install. that works fine when i need it to. the usb drive is just for shuffling all the patches around. its just 2gigs so it gets frustrating.

4.When installing Ubuntu Intrebid Ibex, where it asks to select or make a partition, i had the 'clear hard drive for fresh install' option selected. i didnt realise it until after the install. There is no XP or windows option anywhere in the boot menu.

5. now that the wireless works, i'm not too concerned about the wired connection.

so far i have tried various patches, edits to some files like xorg.conf (i have backups of the original file)but the pen and side buttons get no response.

i'm shattered having this machine on my desk with no pen features as thats the main reaon i bought the thing.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, well done in getting the wireless working - that makes the rest much easier!

Let's get the pen working then!

1. Go to system->administration->synaptic package manager

2. When it has finished getting ready, find the package 'wacom-tools'. You can do this by clicking once anywhere in the top-right pane, and then typing 'wacom' (I'd suggest quick search but the index may not be ready yet). When you see 'wacom-tools' appear in the top-right pane, click once on it to clear the little stem-match window that will have appeared.

3. If the package is already installed, the little square on the left of its name will be green; you can skip to step 4 in this case.

3.1 If it isn't green, double-click on wacom-tools, to get it marked for installation, and if a 'Mark additional changes?' dialogue pops up, click on the 'Mark' button to accept them.

3.2 Now click the 'Apply' button on the main toolbar. A confirmation window will appear; click the 'Apply' button, and wait for the changes to be made.

4. Close Synaptic Package Manager.

5. Now press ALT and F2 to bring up the 'run' dialogue.

6. Type (or paste) in the following command:
    Code:
    gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    7. Press CTRL and A to select the whole file, and the CTRL and C to copy it to the clipboard.

8. Start Firefox and use it to start a 'quick reply' to this message. Begin by telling me whether you had to install wacom-tools or not.

9. Then press CTRL and V to paste the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf into the reply, so that I can see what we should do next.

10. Post the reply.

11. Close the text editor.

Beans

Wacom-tools was already installed in the package manager.

here is my xorg.conf file:

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder57) Mon Oct 27 14:37:20 PST 2008

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout0"
    Screen 0 "Screen0"
    InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "stulus" "SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "dbe"
    Load "extmod"
    Load "type1"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "wacom"
    Identifier "cursor"
    Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS4"
    Option "Type" "cursor"
    Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"
    Option "Mode" "Absolute"
    Option "Button2" "3"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver "wacom"
    Identifier "stylus"
    Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS4"
    Option "Type" "stylus"
    Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"
    Option "Mode" "Absolute"
    Option "Button2" "3"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    ModelName "Unknown"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 110.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 150.0
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Device0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, I think the pen device should be /dev/input/wacom not /dev/ttyS4. That xorg.conf looks 'old'.

To prepare the way for getting the other TC1100 features working, I think it's probably a good idea for you to move your existing xorg.conf out of the way, and use a copy of mine. There are several differences, which should be clear from the comments.

To move the existing file, I suggest you do ALT and F2 and start gedit as before, then use 'Save As' to save the file in your own folder somewhere. Then close gedit.

Next, do ALT and F2 and this time add 'gksudo' to the front of the command, like so:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Select All and remove the existing contents, then paste in the details below, and save the file.

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
            Driver          "wacom"
            Identifier      "stylus"
            Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"
            Option          "Type"          "stylus"
            Option          "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"         # Tablet PC ONLY
            Option          "Button2"       "3" # This is the line you need for the stylus button to right click
    EndSection

# Don't need cursor or eraser devices on TC1100

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    	Driver "nvidia"
    	# Next two lines are recommended for nvidia beta on Intrepid
    	Option "AddARGBVisuals" "True"
    	Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    	# Suppresses the nvidia logo at startup
    	Option "NoLogo" "True"
    	# Enable screen rotation
    	Option "RandRRotation" "on"
    	# NvAGP set to 0 makes standby work on TC1100
    	Option "NvAGP" "0"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier	"Default Layout"
    	screen 		"Default Screen"
            InputDevice     "stylus"        "SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    	# This option allows us to use the TC1100 side keys
    	Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
    EndSection
    This contains settings that remove blockers for standby, rotation and the side keys to work, but other things are needed as well for these - they won't all work for you yet. The important thing at this stage is to test the pen after putting this xorg.conf into place, and then rebooting (or doing 'sudo service gdm restart' from a console after logging out from the main session).

By the way, which version of Nvidia driver have you installed, and how? Mine is 96.43.09-0ubuntu1 which is now in the intrepid-updates repository.
    Last edited by Aearenda; December 23rd, 2008 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Added gedit instructions in case you need it.

Beans

I replaced my xorg.conf files contents with yours. this has given me access to a 'rotate screen' option in my nvidia x settings menu. my driver version is the same version 96.43.09, from the repository.

unfortunately i'm still getting no response at all from the pen. ive been working with a usb keyboard and mouse, and i wonder if i should be disconnecting them while testing the pen or updating. maybe they're getting in the way of some sort automatic detection?
    i don't know if this is the case thogh, just a thought.

Beans
    Distro

No need to detach USB devices, it should work regardless.

Yes, rotate screen will work, but we need extra stuff to make the pen rotate, once we've got it working! You'll probably find you can go into standby as well, but the wireless may not work afterwards yet.

Now we need to know what the wacom driver is seeing. Please start a terminal session and enter the following command:
    Code:
    grep [Ww]acom /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    Please post the output from this command here.

Beans

here is the result from the terminal.

professor@Mandy:~$ grep [Ww]acom /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    (II) LoadModule: "wacom"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//wacom_drv.so
    (II) Module wacom: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    (II) Wacom driver level: 47-0.7.9-11 $
    (**) stylus device is /dev/input/wacom
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "stylus" (type: Wacom Stylus)
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
    Wacom unable to read ISDV4 control data after 3 tries
    Wacom unable to read ISDV4 control data after 3 tries

Beans
    Distro

Your wacom driver level is old - mine is 47-0.8.1-4.

The Ubuntu xserver-xorg-input-wacom package showing in Synaptic for me is 1:0.8.1.4-0ubuntu3 and it comes from the standard Intrepid repository. I'm wondering how yours comes to be an older version - have you tried to install this from source?

This may not be the problem, but we'd better fix it. First, please post the output from the following terminal commands:
    Code:
    uname -a
    apt-cache showpkg xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    apt-cache showpkg wacom-tools
    Last edited by Aearenda; December 23rd, 2008 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Fixed typo - I meant xserver-xorg-input-wacom not wacom-tools in line 3.

Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast