Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

Aearenda is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

A graphical application is something that creates its own window on the desktop, and can lay out that window with buttons and pictures and other stuff anywhere it likes - a classic "Windows Program" - in contrast to applications which run in a terminal (or 'command-line') session, which are constrained only to use letters, not pictures - as if they were still running on an old-fashioned teletype terminal, or on MS-DOS before the days of Windows.

Gedit is a graphical text editor. You start it by using the mouse to find 'Text Editor' in the Accessories menu. Then you have to click on 'File->Open' and select a file to get started.

Nano is a command-line text editor that runs in a terminal session. You start it by typing 'nano <filename>' in a command line session, which might have been started by using the mouse to fine 'Terminal' in the Accessories menu, for example. Nano runs inside the Terminal window. You can also use it from a text logon session, if the windowing system fails to start.

Giving instructions using terminal commands is usually much more succinct and exact than telling people to click on menus and buttons, which is why they come up so often in the forums.

Consistent help is hard to find simply because everyone is a volunteer here, and everyone has different experiences. We can only advise based on what we have encountered ourselves. Sometimes it takes a while to get an answer because we have to go out and earn money, or because we live in different time zones. Whether you find this good or bad depends on the level of your expectations. I recommend this as a way to get the best responses: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/...-linux-forums/
    Also see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=232059

Here's some help on using the terminal: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/terminal

And here's some more general help on Ubuntu:
    http://book.opensourceproject.org.cn...untu/official/ especially Chapter 4 on the Terminal.

Having said all that, it is true that Ubuntu isn't for everyone. Being an Ubuntu user can be downright frustrating at times. I have used it for about 3 years now, yet last week I contemplated switching back to Windows XP - because I can't get my scanner to work on Ubuntu. But then I plugged my XP drive back into my TC1100, and started it up, and it reminded me of all the things I was trying to escape - and I fell in love with Ubuntu all over again. It's never going to be a completely smooth ride, simply because the hardware manufacturers don't all want to play. But then, neither is Vista, or XP, or OS/X.

Anyway, I hope this helps you to make up your mind to be persistent! People WILL help, given time, if you are clear about what you need, what has happened, follow instructions carefully, and stay patient.

trksh22 said:
    I can't get the screen to change back, no matter what I do. I couldn't (and still can't) get the pen to work.
    I'd like to help you, but I don't know what you mean by "I can't get the screen to change back". What has it changed to?

Also, you say you can't get the pen to work - can you summarise what you have done to try to make it work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks, I wrote my last email out of desperate frustration, lol. Thank you for taking the time to explain things and even provide other links. This is all so new, I knew that there was a learning curve, but I have become so accustomed to windows that I am only slightly overwhelmed by all that I need to know. But, I have to start somewhere, huh?

As for the screen, I was able to just reinstall Ubuntu and now it works.
    Last edited by trksh22; September 24th, 2008 at 05:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

fixed with reinstall. Please ignore, I don't think I have the privileges yet to delete my own post.
    Last edited by trksh22; September 24th, 2008 at 05:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Can anyone comfirm that Ubuntu tablet functions (use of the pen) will work with a replacement/non stock pen. Maybe that is why it won't work for me? This is the pen that I have (which worked fine in Xp):

Pen with Eraser

Beans
    Distro

I'm glad to hear you are making progress! That's good news.

I'm using the standard pen that came with the TC1100. I see no reason why your pen should not work, but since it has an eraser you will need extra stuff in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf. I suggest you do this:

1. Press ALT and F2 (this brings up the 'run' box, like Windows and R or Start->Run on XP).

2. Start the text editor and open the appropriate configuration file by pasting the text in this box:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    and then press <enter>. Fill in your password if you are asked for it.

3. In the text editor, do File->Save As and make a copy of the file somewhere where you can find it in an emergency!

4. Now close the Text Editor, and then re-open the original file exactly as in step 2.

5. Add the following to the file by copy and paste - in mine, it comes straight after the keyboard and mouse sections. It must follow an 'EndSection' line, unless it is at the very start of the file.
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
            Driver          "wacom"
            Identifier      "stylus"
            Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"      # Change to
                                                            # /dev/input/event
                                                            # for USB
            Option          "Type"          "stylus"
            Option          "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"         # Tablet PC ONLY
            Option          "Button2"       "3" # This is the line you need for the stylus button to right click
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
            Driver          "wacom"
            Identifier      "eraser"
                                                            # /dev/input/event
                                                            # for USB
            Option          "Type"          "eraser"
            Option          "Button2"       "3"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
            Driver          "wacom"
            Identifier      "cursor"
            Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"    # Change to
                                                            # /dev/input/event
                                                            # for USB
            Option          "Type"          "cursor"
            Option          "Button2"       "3"
    EndSection
    I'm not sure you need the third section here (the 'cursor' one), but it won't hurt. I used to run my TC1100 with all three sections enabled until somebody pointed out that the TC1100 pen doesn't have an eraser. You may already have the first section ('stylus') - if so, don't duplicate it.

6. Still in the text editor, make sure the section that links all the devices together looks something like this:
    Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier	"Default Layout"
    	screen "Default Screen"
            InputDevice     "stylus"        "SendCoreEvents"
            InputDevice     "cursor"        "SendCoreEvents"
            InputDevice     "eraser"        "SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection
    It's the three 'InputDevice' lines that matter here - just add them if they are not there - don't change anything else!

7. Now save the file and close the text editor.

8. Start the package manager from the menu using System->Administration->Synaptics Package Manager.

9. In the list of packages, find 'wacom-tools'. You can do this by clicking once in the package list area, then typing 'wacom' - without the quotes - which make Synaptic do a stem match on the name. Click in the package list area again to dismiss the little stem-match box.

10. If the square box next to the wacom-tools package is empty, right-click on that line and choose 'install', accept any dependencies it might need, then click on 'Apply' in the tool bar, then click on 'Apply' in the confirmation box; wait for the installation to complete.

11. Close Synaptic Package Manager.
    [Aside: steps 8 to 11 could have been done in a command-line terminal simply by pasting in the following command: 'sudo apt-get install wacom-tools' and then pressing Y to confirm - much easier!!]

12. Now log out, and when the login screen appears, press <CTRL> and <ALT> and <BACKSPACE>. This causes X-Windows to restart. X-Windows is the graphical subsystem we use on most Linux systems - without it, all we have are character-mode sessions. Doing this makes the changes we just made take effect, without doing a complete restart.

13. Log in again, and see if the stylus and eraser work, using gimp or another stylus-aware app. The stylus should work anywhere - the eraser may only work where it makes sense. If they work, you're done; otherwise, continue.

14. Diagnostic only: start a command-line session from Accessories->Terminal and type:
    Code:
    xsetwacom list dev
    The output from this should be something like
    Code:
    stylus     stylus
    eraser     eraser
    15. Recovery: If after step 12 all you get is a black text-mode screen, rather than the normal Ubuntu graphical login screen, you will need to log in in text mode with your normal username and password.
    15.1 If you see no writing on the black screen at all, try pressing <CTRL> and <ALT> and <F1> - this should switch to the first text-mode console, and you should be able to log on there.
    15.2 Type
    Code:
    sudo cp <the-name-of-the-copy-you-made-in-step-3> /etc/X11/xorg.conf<ENTER>
    15.3 Type
    Code:
    reboot<ENTER>
    Please let us know how you get on! Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Aearenda, firstly, thanks for breaking everything down for me. I needed it to be dumbed down

I did follow your directions exactly and got the same results as before. When I did Step 12 thing, I got the same error message as before "Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode. Your screen and graphics card could not be detected. ... you need have to configure the display yourself."

After I logged in, I ran the "Xsetwacom" thing and it did not return anything, just repeated the input line (name@blank etc)

I feel like I am so close

ETA: (I have since restored my back up file so my graphics card and everything is recognized and back to the default settings.)
    Last edited by trksh22; September 25th, 2008 at 11:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Interesting - I guess the next step is for you to post the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file that you had as a result of step 7. Mine is below for comparison. Note that the cursor and eraser are commented out in mine, since I have a stock pen.

I wouldn't expect xsetwacom to return anything without the changes in that file being present.

Hmmm, I wonder - do you have the Nvidia driver installed (I do)?

Code:
    # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    #   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
    	Driver		"kbd"
    	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
    	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105"
    	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
    	Driver		"vmmouse"
    EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
    #	Identifier	"Synaptics Touchpad"
    #	Driver		"synaptics"
    #	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
    #	Option		"Device"	"/dev/psaux"
    #	Option		"Protocol"	"auto-dev"
    #	Option		"HorizEdgeScroll"	"0"
    #EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
            Driver          "wacom"
            Identifier      "stylus"
                                                            # /dev/input/event
                                                            # for USB
            Option          "Type"          "stylus"
            Option          "Button2"       "3" # This is the line you need for the stylus button to right click
    EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
    #        Driver          "wacom"
    #        Identifier      "eraser"
    #        Option          "Device"        "/dev/input/wacom"      # Change to
                                                            # /dev/input/event
                                                            # for USB
    #        Option          "Type"          "eraser"
    #        Option          "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"         # Tablet PC ONLY
    #        Option          "Button2"       "3"
    #EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
    #        Driver          "wacom"
    #        Identifier      "cursor"
    #        Option          "Device"        "/dev/wacom"    # Change to
                                                            # /dev/input/event
                                                            # for USB
    #        Option          "Type"          "cursor"
    #        Option          "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"         # Tablet PC ONLY
    #        Option          "Button2"       "3"
    #EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    	Driver		"nvidia"
    	Option		"NoLogo"	"True"
    	# Option		"ConnectedMonitor"	"DFP"
    	Option		"RandRRotation" "on"
    	Option		"NvAGP" "1"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    	Defaultdepth	24
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    	screen "Default Screen"
    #        InputDevice     "cursor"        "SendCoreEvents"
    #        InputDevice     "eraser"        "SendCoreEvents"
    #	Inputdevice	"Synaptics Touchpad"
    EndSection
    Section "Module"
    	Load		"glx"
    EndSection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok, I will redo everything and post what I get. I really did learn a lot from your tutorial so if this doesn't work out I didn't walk away empty handed. (I also have Ubuntu stored on my desktop.) I will post the results as soon as I finish....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Aearenda View Post

6. Still in the text editor, make sure the section that links all the devices together looks something like this:
    Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
    	screen "Default Screen"
            InputDevice     "cursor"        "SendCoreEvents"
            InputDevice     "eraser"        "SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection
    It's the three 'InputDevice' lines that matter here - just add them if they are not there - don't change anything else!
    Ok, wow. I got it to work. THANK YOU I know what I did wrong, too. You see what you put in bold up there, the "don't change anything else" part?

That's what I didn't do!

I thought I was following the directions line by line but I wasn't! In the part of code you mentioned earlier, I had an extra line "InputDevice "touchpad" "Synaptics touchpad" (or something like that). I was removing that line, and then putting in the the three so that it looked like the one above. I think my reasoning was that it wasn't a regular laptop so it didn't have a touchpad so it was ok to remove it. Last night I took a break and decided to try again in the morning. It's weird because you made it clear several times throughout this topic that things should be "followed exactly". Anywho, this morning I retried without editing anything and it worked.

In case you were wondering, I AM very embarrased but happy it works and always has worked and lastly, very, very thankful to you and the others that tried helping me.

Beans
    Distro

That's excellent news, and I'm glad to have been able to help! Don't be embarrassed, we are all learners here, and if you never get anything wrong, you never learn anything new.

The touchpad part isn't needed for the TC1100, but the 'screen' line most certainly is - and that's probably what led to your problem with the screen

Anyway, I hope you enjoy using Ubuntu on your TC1100 - and don't hesitate to ask if you need more help! The difficult thing with the forums is having new messages seen by the right people - there are so many flowing by all the time, I'm sure I only see a very small portion of them. But I'll leave this thread subscribed, so if you need help with the TC1100, I'll definitely see that.

Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast