Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

Beans

Thumbs down Re: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

Hello,

I've tried it also with
    sudo apt-get install wacom-tools
    but it was'nt workling for me.
    Did I have to run the How-To also? I thought that it should work with the wacom-tools only?

Regards
    WebBuddha

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

Quote Originally Posted by WebBuddha View Post
    Hello,

I've tried it also with but it was'nt workling for me.
    Did I have to run the How-To also? I thought that it should work with the wacom-tools only?

Regards
    WebBuddha
    If you read the 'How To', you will see you need to amend the xorg.conf file.
    "Knowledge is power. Who said that?" - Dave Lister

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Can someone help me? None of the changes are remaining in terminal. I cannot get the pen to work at all.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by trksh22 View Post
    ...None of the changes are remaining in terminal...
    Not sure what you mean by that. But if you follow the guide exactly as shown in the first post of this 'How To', it will work. Please persevere as the majority of people having problems have simply missed a step.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks for replying. That's the thing, I don't know what I am doing wrong. I open up terminal, type in the nec things, close out. No changes saved. I reopened terminal, retyped everything, waited for it to "automatically save" closed out, then nothing. I tried looking at other tuts but nothing says what I should do after I am done editing something in terminal. There is no way to save my changes.

After that the nest step is to type in some code and save it as (I forget what) but where would I do that?

Thanks in advance. I am a total newbie. I am reading, I promise I am.... just not getting anywhere. I just need it "dumbed down" LOL.

Thanks in advance...

Beans
    Distro

Ok. I think I know what you're getting at. Are you trying to edit files in a terminal? If you're using nano, Ctrl-X will prompt you to save. Press 'Y' and 'Enter', and it will be saved. If that confuses you, then use gedit, e.g.:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Remember to use gxsudo for graphical apps and sudo for terminal apps.

Aearenda is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Phenest means 'use gksudo for graphical apps', gxsudo is a typo. Gksudo is a way of gaining admin privilege while running a graphical application. Sudo is a way of gaining admin privilege when running a command-line application.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yes! That is what I need. I promise I did read, tutorials and manuals but nothing I read (yet) had explained that. If you know of a basic tut that expounds upon what you just said then I would be happy to look at it (but no pressure, I am happy enough just knowing this!)

Remember to use gxsudo for graphical apps and sudo for terminal apps.

Yet another silly question, what would be considered a "graphical app"? Thanks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Last edited by trksh22; September 24th, 2008 at 03:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Angry Re: HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on a HP TC1100 tablet pc

The same thing has happened to me! It's so hard to get any consistant help. I am about ready to give up. I don't want to, but it looks like I don't have a choice now! I can't get the screen to change back, no matter what I do. I couldn't (and still can't) get the pen to work. This is depressing. I am at a lost. Help is very hard to come by, even on this site... I guess Ubuntu isn't for everyone......

Quote Originally Posted by okrichie View Post
    K am starting to get really upset about this.. I've installed Ubuntu on my tc1100, it worked fine apart from the usual; stylus, extra buttons etc..

I started messing with this tutorial and a couple of others such as for the 'soft buttons' and the hardware buttons like Q.

This is the second time now, after hours of compiling stupid wacom drivers and messing in the xorg.conf, I have reached the same problem I got after a few hours of messing the first time; and I was honestly, really careful this time.

What's going on? Well the stylus still doesn't work. Now the graphics are set to only 800x600max and I can't change it. I tried restoring an original xorg.conf backup; it did NOT help at all..

Why is this such a demanding problem? Why are all the solutions to these issues so cryptic? Why do these solutions not seem to work and at the same time cause MORE trouble?

Has anyone encountered this? I'm obviously being a complete moron and doing it wrong. So take pity and help please?

I got the stylus to work once, using an xorg.conf file I downloaded that someone else made (I think for a slightly different distro of linux), but that seemed to cause the same graphics problem; so I formatted and tried over, being more careful to self-build my own xorg.conf rather than slap my name on someone else's but it hasn't worked!

Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast