View Poll Results: Has this thread been helpful?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

94 51.65%
  • No

38 20.88%
  • Somewhat

50 27.47%
Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: RT2500, etc. wireless cards

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

HOWTO: RT2500, etc. wireless cards

Dapper Drake users should take a look at this thread if this one doesn't work. This guide was tested with Feisty Fawn, Gutsy Gibbon, and Hardy Heron.
    --
    To all RT73 users, please also see this post. Thanks to Kiefer Rodriguez for this solution.

Please post to this Launchpad bug report with all of your specs, if you have problems with a Ralink based wireless adapter.

This is a simple guide for all Ralink based wireless adapters and everyone who wants to replace the Linux driver with "ndiswrapper" (e.g. because you want to make use of either Network Manager or WICD).

INSTRUCTIONS:

• Get the latest version of the Windows driver for your card from Linksys' website or from the CD that came with your device (whatever vendor).

• Install "ndiswrapper" package with working internet connection (Ethernet):
      sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

• Install "ndiswrapper" package without working internet connection (alternatively, install it via Synaptic/Adept):
      sudo apt-cdrom add
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

• Load new driver module (may not be necessary any longer, but does no harm either):
      sudo depmod -a
      sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

• Add the module to "/etc/modules" to have it load automatically:
      echo 'ndiswrapper' | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

• Create alias directive:
      sudo ndiswrapper -m

• Pick a valid Ralink driver based on the chipset of your card (you might blacklist all of them if you are not sure):
      rt2500usb
      rt2500pci
      rt2500
      rt2570
      rt73usb
      rt73pci
      rt73
      rt61usb
      rt61pci
      rt61
      rt2860
      rt2860sta
      rt2x00usb
      rt2x00lib

• Blacklist Ralink driver:
      echo 'blacklist <your_ralink_driver>' | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

• Now unzip the driver archive you have just downloaded (e.g. in your home directory):
      unzip <driver_archive>.exe

• Now find the right driver in the resulting folder & deploy it (folder should also contain other driver files i.e. .cat, .sys):
      sudo ndiswrapper -i <your_ralink_driver>.inf

• Make sure it has installed correctly:
      ndiswrapper -l

• The output should yield something like this:
      rt2500usb : driver installed
      device (13B1:000D) present (alternate driver: rt2500usb)

• Last but not least open this file...
      sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

• ...and add these 2 lines if they are not there yet [also try without adding them if Network Manager does not pick up the card & reboot]:
      auto wlan0
      iface wlan0 inet dhcp

You can now safely delete the extracted driver files & folders. Then reboot the computer and see if you can connect using your favorite networking applet (e.g. Network Manager, WICD, Wifi Radar, etc.).

Feedback is - as always - appreciated.

CHANGE LOG:
    30/09/2007: Minor fixes.
    07/10/2007: Expanded "blacklist".
    20/10/2007: Added missing part concerning "interfaces" file.
    22/10/2007: Load module "ndiswrapper" at boot.
    23/10/2007: Enhanced blacklist.
    07/11/2007: Bug fix for Network Manager.
    12/11/2007: Updated blacklist & module section.
    13/01/2008: Launchpad bug report.
    15/04/2008: Update for Hardy.
    17/04/2008: RT73 note.
    Last edited by wieman01; July 5th, 2008 at 07:26 AM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: RT2500, etc. wireless cards [Gutsy Gibbon]

No luck...

My problem I think is in finding a reliable copy of the windows drivers. I can't extract them from the exe on the ralink website (cabextract, and various windows programs don't work). so I've been trying random rt2500.inf files (+ sys and cat) found through googling.

The first set I found caused the same freeze problem when it tried to connect, the second wouldn't install via ndiswrapper - received an error 'couldn't find models section "insert model here" for multiple models.

Anyone know where to find the actual latest inf, sys, cat files?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grovulent View Post
    No luck...

My problem I think is in finding a reliable copy of the windows drivers. I can't extract them from the exe on the ralink website (cabextract, and various windows programs don't work). so I've been trying random rt2500.inf files (+ sys and cat) found through googling.

The first set I found caused the same freeze problem when it tried to connect, the second wouldn't install via ndiswrapper - received an error 'couldn't find models section "insert model here" for multiple models.

Anyone know where to find the actual latest inf, sys, cat files?
    What wireless adapter have you got? You did not find anything on the vendor's website?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    What wireless adapter have you got? You did not find anything on the vendor's website?
    Ah - silly me... didn't think to check the laptop makers site (MSI) - downloaded their driver.. but the latest they offer is from august 2006 (whereas ralink has updated as of 2007). Tried it - no luck - same hanging problem. Full reboot required each time.

Might have to email MSI to see if they can release a later driver.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/34902
    I ran in the problem yesterday...
    I bought this card because it was supported. My home network is wired now, so I was not using it any longer. But yesterday, I had to when I went to my LUG's install party.

I'm not sure I'm willing to try win drivers for a chipset that used to be fully supported. Am I missing something? (in that case, please accept my apologies).
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grovulent View Post
    Ah - silly me... didn't think to check the laptop makers site (MSI) - downloaded their driver.. but the latest they offer is from august 2006 (whereas ralink has updated as of 2007). Tried it - no luck - same hanging problem. Full reboot required each time.

Might have to email MSI to see if they can release a later driver.
    Do you run Feisty or Gutsy? I used to have these lockups in Dapper, but compiling the latest "ndiswrapper" from source did solve the problem later on. No more hanging.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/34902
    I ran in the problem yesterday...
    I bought this card because it was supported. My home network is wired now, so I was not using it any longer. But yesterday, I had to when I went to my LUG's install party.

I'm not sure I'm willing to try win drivers for a chipset that used to be fully supported. Am I missing something? (in that case, please accept my apologies).
    If you want to use GNOME Network Manager, you don't have a choice at the moment. You can always configure it manually by editing "/etc/network/interfaces", but I find that too big a hassle.

EDIT:
    This thread is a good reference: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=560229
    Last edited by wieman01; September 30th, 2007 at 04:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you want to use GNOME Network Manager, you don't have a choice at the moment. You can always configure it manually by editing "/etc/network/interfaces", but I find that too big a hassle.
    Hmm.. I removed completely network-manager, working with the conf files (n-m does not handle switching from DHCP to static IP very well..). End of the off-topic, thanks for the input, wieman01
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    Hmm.. I removed completely network-manager, working with the conf files (n-m does not handle switching from DHCP to static IP very well..). End of the off-topic, thanks for the input, wieman01
    Yeah, static IPs are still an issue. Very sad... That's what keep me from using Network Manager as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yeah, static IPs are still an issue. Very sad... That's what keep me from using Network Manager as well.
    Have you checked wicd? Works perfectly with feisty (I'm with gutsy on this laptop).
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast