View Poll Results: Has this thread been helpful?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

94 51.65%
  • No

38 20.88%
  • Somewhat

50 27.47%
Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: RT2500, etc. wireless cards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: RT2500, etc. wireless cards [Gutsy Gibbon]

Quote Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
    Huh? The one that came with Gutsy is the latest one, isn't it? I have the exact same card (I think). Does the Network Monitor work for you? Can you see your connection's activity and strength?
    No, I got the latest CVS snapshot (see link at my previous post). If you download and install that it should work fine (I am now connected using gutsy and RT2500).

As for networkmanager I don't know, I don't use it. wlanasistant works fine, and
    Code:
    iwlist scan
    gives me a list of access points. So try downloading the new driver it should work if you have the same card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Please check "Manual Configuration..." and confirm that the "wlan0' interfaces is enabled.
    That's the first really odd thing. When I select "Manual Configuration..." the window that pops up doesn't even list my wireless connection! It only lists "Wired Connection" (which is enabled) and "Modem Connection" (which is not enabled, probably because I don't have a modem connected to my PC).

Second please do a scan and post the results if possible:
    When I execute sudo iwlist scan I get the following:

Code:
    lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0     Interface doesn't support scanning.
    Does the scan yield any results & do you see your network? And what happens when you restart the network:
    No I don't see my network. When I take the network down (sudo ifdown -v wlan0) I get the following:

Code:
    ifdown: interface wlan0 not configured
    When I try to bring it up (sudo ifup -v wlan0) I get the following (bear with me - I am typing this all out from another computer):

Code:
    Configuring interface wlan0=wlan0 (inet)
    run-parts --verbose /etc/network/if-pre-up.d
    run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wireless-tools
    wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant

dhclient3 -e IF_METRIC=100 -pf /var/run/dhclient.wlan0.pid -lf /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.wlan0.leases wlan0
    There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.wlan0.pid with pid 0
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP client V3.0.5
    Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
    Bind socket to interface: No such device
    Failed to bring up wlan0
    Any ideas? What could possibly be keeping my interface from even being detected? Is there anywhere other than /etc/network/interfaces that this kind of information is specified?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by dingansich View Post
    That's the first really odd thing. When I select "Manual Configuration..." the window that pops up doesn't even list my wireless connection! It only lists "Wired Connection" (which is enabled) and "Modem Connection" (which is not enabled, probably because I don't have a modem connected to my PC).

Any ideas? What could possibly be keeping my interface from even being detected? Is there anywhere other than /etc/network/interfaces that this kind of information is specified?
    Please post the contents of:
    sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    And:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
    Also again:
    sudo ndiswrapper -l

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Here's the contents of /etc/network/interfaces:

Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eht0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    Here's the contents of /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper:

Code:
    alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
    Here's the output of sudo ndiswrapper -l:

Code:
    rt2500usb : driver installed
                  device (13B1:000D) present (alternate driver: rt2500usb)
    Again, thanx much for all of this help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Sorry for the double post, but I was just looking around the ndiswrapper install and noticed that in my /etc/ndiswrapper/rt2500usb directory I have 3 conf files. They are named as follows:

13B1:000D.F.conf
    13B1:0011.F.conf
    13B1:001A.F.conf

The first one matches the hardware ID for the WUSB54Gv4 returned by lusb. I'm mot sure what the others are. I at one time tried installing some other windows drivers - but they were removed when I had no success with them (their entries no longer show in /etc/ndiswrapper). Are these (extra?) conf files potentially causing the problem?

--edit--
    Well I copied the 2 mismatched files (13B1:0011.F.conf and 13B1:001A.F.conf) to a temporary directory and rebooted. Made no difference.
    Last edited by dingansich; October 22nd, 2007 at 03:12 AM. Reason: New Information to add

Beans
    Distro

Sorry for the double post, but I was just looking around the ndiswrapper install and noticed that in my /etc/ndiswrapper/rt2500usb directory I have 3 conf files. They are named as follows:

13B1:000D.F.conf
    13B1:0011.F.conf
    13B1:001A.F.conf

The first one matches the hardware ID for the WUSB54Gv4 returned by lusb. I'm mot sure what the others are. I at one time tried installing some other windows drivers - but they were removed when I had no success with them (their entries no longer show in /etc/ndiswrapper). Are these (extra?) conf files potentially causing the problem?

--edit--
    Well I copied the 2 mismatched files (13B1:0011.F.conf and 13B1:001A.F.conf) to a temporary directory and rebooted. Made no difference.
    Ok, which driver did you blacklist and how? Could you post the relevant section please?

EDIT:
    Are you on Gutsy or Feisty?
    Last edited by wieman01; October 22nd, 2007 at 03:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm on Gutsy (amd64). My adapter was working under Feisty. It crapped out after I did the upgrade.

I blacklisted the drivers by adding them to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file. Originally I only blacklisted the rt2500usb driver, but as of now I have blacklisted all of the drivers listed in the original HOWTO:

rt2500usb
    rt2500pci
    rt2500
    rt2570
    rt73usb
    rt73pci
    rt73
    rt2x00usb
    rt2x00lib

Also, I looked into those other device IDs. I'm not sure about 13B1:001A, but 13B1:0011 is reported as the device ID for the Linksys WUSB54Gv4 as is 13B1:000D (which is what lsusb identifies my adapter with). In any case, as moving those (seemingly) additional conf files to a temporary directory did not make a difference, I moved them back to their original place: /etc/ndiswrapper/rt2500usb.

Incidentally, I also took a look at the output from lsmod. ndiswrapper is listed as a loaded module, and there do not seem to be any other modules loaded that look like they might pertain to wireless networking adapters.

Beans
    Distro

I'm on Gutsy (amd64). My adapter was working under Feisty. It crapped out after I did the upgrade.

I blacklisted the drivers by adding them to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file. Originally I only blacklisted the rt2500usb driver, but as of now I have blacklisted all of the drivers listed in the original HOWTO:

rt2500usb
    rt2500pci
    rt2500
    rt2570
    rt73usb
    rt73pci
    rt73
    rt2x00usb
    rt2x00lib

Also, I looked into those other device IDs. I'm not sure about 13B1:001A, but 13B1:0011 is reported as the device ID for the Linksys WUSB54Gv4 as is 13B1:000D (which is what lsusb identifies my adapter with). In any case, as moving those (seemingly) additional conf files to a temporary directory did not make a difference, I moved them back to their original place: /etc/ndiswrapper/rt2500usb.

Incidentally, I also took a look at the output from lsmod. ndiswrapper is listed as a loaded module, and there do not seem to be any other modules loaded that look like they might pertain to wireless networking adapters.
    When you installed the driver file (.INF) where there any other files present e.g. .CAB or similar?

It might relate to the fact that you are on a 64-bit machine. If we cannot find a solution here I'll have to refer you to the 64-bit section... They might know a solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

When I installed the driver, the files in the directory from which I executed the ndiswrapper command were: rt2500usb.cat, rt2500usb.inf, and rt2500usb.sys.

I'm wondering if it's a a 64 bit issue as well. But AMD64 is a fairly common platform, and the WUSB54Gv4 is a common adapter. If this were a problem I'd have thought it would be well flagged by now. Maybe I've overlooked it? Can anyone browsing this thread confirm that they managed to get a Linksys WUSB54Gv4 working in Gutsy on the amd64 platform?

Beans
    Distro

When I installed the driver, the files in the directory from which I executed the ndiswrapper command were: rt2500usb.cat, rt2500usb.inf, and rt2500usb.sys.

I'm wondering if it's a a 64 bit issue as well. But AMD64 is a fairly common platform, and the WUSB54Gv4 is a common adapter. If this were a problem I'd have thought it would be well flagged by now. Maybe I've overlooked it? Can anyone browsing this thread confirm that they managed to get a Linksys WUSB54Gv4 working in Gutsy on the amd64 platform?
    I am tempted to think this has to do with the "ndiswrapper" port to the 64-bit environment. I cannot offer much more support at this stage as I am clueless as to what the issue is.

Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast