Thread: Ventrilo, World of Warcraft and Wine

Beans

Ventrilo, World of Warcraft and Wine

Hello, I am having problems using World of warcraft and Ventrilo at the same time through Wine and aoss. I have searched the forums but couldn't find an answer that worked. My problem is that Vent works fine alone, WoW works fine alone, When the 2 are run simultaneously, only 1 application gets sound (usually vent). I'm running aoss, alsa, WoW 2.2.0, the latest wine (I forgot the version number), and the latest version of vent for windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Ventrilo, World of Warcraft and Wine

Try to change wine to using OSS ( winecfg )

Beans

First, I appreciate you taking the time to help me.
    I changed winecfg to use OSS, and the problem still exists. Also tried using NAS driver and EsounD drivers without any luck. Anything else I can try?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Have you tried changing your system volume to OSS (Top right hand corner if you're using Gnome)

Also they just patched voice chat into WoW, is that no good for you? (Haven't tried it myself yet, I just know they put it in)
    You don't need a reason to help people

Ubuntu User #15665
    Linux user #450019

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lightbulb Re: Ventrilo, World of Warcraft and Wine

try messing around with all the setting in the the audio section under winecfg.

Beans

Setting the system volume to OSS didn't help.
    There are 2 channels in vent and WoW sound settings labelled alsa-oss which is the aoss program i'm assuming, however one disappears as soon as I start either program. I'm assuming that one goes to my external speakers and the other to my mic and headset. I gather that this means that only 1 program can use each output at a time. While I don't mind using the speakers for one program and headphones for another, I usually play WoW for long hours during the night and would rather not wake others in my household.

WoW voice chat is only on a select few servers ATM, so I need an alternate way to communicate with my guild until it is released on all servers.