Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: wine and WoW 2.2 patch voice chat?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: wine and WoW 2.2 patch voice chat?

Quote Originally Posted by Naegling23 View Post
    well, the servers are down for maintenence on my lunch break, so I'll try this out later.
    I had setaudiosystem to 1 in my wow config.wtf file. Poking around online, it looks like 1 is for oss, and 2 is for alsa, so I changed it to 2...ill see if this helps sometime tonight, ill let everyone know.
    hmm, i was not aware of what setaudiosystem really did. i actually think i took it out of my config.wtf. i can't check it from work, so i'll look at home.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Drezliok View Post
    I can hear myself but no one in game can hear me, I think it's not recording or "grabbing my input for use.
    when you say you can hear yourself, do you mean when you talk into the mic you can hear it in the speakers at the same time? if so, that just means you have mic playback turned up. you need to make sure that your capture settings are set to only capture the mic and that the volume is up there. i did notice that in game when the game is picking up your mic the little speaker icon that appears near your portrait animates with waves. when i had mine set up incorrectly it would just sit there like a speaker icon with no waves. once i got my mic working the in game sound test worked too. i used push to talk and when i hit the record button it turned gray and there was a little sound levels thing that moved when i talked. then hitting play actually played back my voice.

Beans
    Hidden!

It depends on your server, some servers do not have voice chat enabled yet some do, i think blizz are slowly introducing it to iron out the problems, for all we know some windows users may be experiencing the same problems.

I think we should all wait until everything is patched properly and all is running normally before worrying about how your sound is working

P.S. i havent read through all the posts just skimmed, if someone has said somthing similar, or anyone knows ts working properly ignore this post, as for me it isnt up and running on my server yet so i cant test
    <tronyx> "you should hire me to stare at your wireshark because i can spot a virus being downloaded in a compressed file over bit torrent at up to 600 kb/s"

Beans
    Distro

it's implemented and up and running in gilneas. make a character there and test =p
    i am sure that blizzard is still ironing out problems and will continue to do so going forward. the main complaint i hear from windows users is that some people are just soo loud, and that the quality is not so good even if the sound volume is right. my guild has tested the ingame stuff and decided that it won't cut it, so we've purchased a vent server. i pusehd for TS, but that didn't fly. oh well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

sk8dork,

Thanks for the info on alsa and command setup of it. My mic is already running at 100. Not sure if I should worry about the volume any more than what is at for now. I left it at alsa since it was working, and no aoss since it doesn't work right.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

so I tried the setoutputsystem from 1 to 2, didnt work

im going to just wait until the wine update appears in the repro's, I dont need the voice chat right now anyway, so Ill work on it at a later time.

But if anyone figures it out.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

got the update, game works fine with the alsa drivers now...
    sweet...

got the microphone test working in the setup, havnt had a chance to see if the voice chat actually works yet though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

ive got the microphone working using ALSA but its extremly choppy when people hear me talk. Also, how to I stop hearing myself through my speakers ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by sk8dork View Post
    alsa never worked well for me until version 9.46 of wine. you need to go to www.winehq.org and follow their instructions on installing wine for ubuntu. that will get you the latest version.
    I went to winehq last night (Oct. 2nd) and followed the instructions and it did get me a newer version, but it looks like not the new-est- version. I went from 9.22 to 9.45. WoW itself had worked in 9.22 but after these last two patches I had no game sound at all. All my regular Ubuntu sound, you-tube, dvds, banshee, etc. still had sound, but nothing at all in WoW. I was hoping that moving to a newer wine would at least give me game sound back, if not voice chat, but it didn't.

Any suggestions?

I have gone in game and verified that I have game sound turned on.
    I tried switching settings between oss and alsa in winecfg.
    I tried changing winecfg settings for sound hardware/emulation.

I have onboard ac97 sound and a Logitech USB head set. Both have worked for WoW in the past. I am now running wine 9.45 in Dapper AMD64.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tparker View Post
    I went to winehq last night (Oct. 2nd) and followed the instructions and it did get me a newer version, but it looks like not the new-est- version. I went from 9.22 to 9.45. WoW itself had worked in 9.22 but after these last two patches I had no game sound at all. All my regular Ubuntu sound, you-tube, dvds, banshee, etc. still had sound, but nothing at all in WoW. I was hoping that moving to a newer wine would at least give me game sound back, if not voice chat, but it didn't.

Any suggestions?

I have gone in game and verified that I have game sound turned on.
    I tried switching settings between oss and alsa in winecfg.
    I tried changing winecfg settings for sound hardware/emulation.

I have onboard ac97 sound and a Logitech USB head set. Both have worked for WoW in the past. I am now running wine 9.45 in Dapper AMD64.
    9.45 was crap for me too. in 9.45 the crash on exit bug is still present and you have to use OSS with hardware acceleration mode set to emulation, alsa didn't work too well in this version. do an update in synaptic then mark all upgrades, wine 9.46 should be in there if you followed the instructions from the winehq site. with 9.46 alsa seems to have been greatly improved to the point where i have absolutely zero problems, whereas before i had nothing but problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Faud View Post
    ive got the microphone working using ALSA but its extremly choppy when people hear me talk. Also, how to I stop hearing myself through my speakers ?
    i am at the same point you are. alsa is great, mic works, in the sound/voice settings the mic test works but when people hear me it is very very choppy.

you can stop hearing yourself through speakers by turning the volume of your mic all the way down. note: i mean playback volume, not capture volume. whatever sound volume manager thing you use, take notice whether you are in playback settings (you will also see master, pcm, things like that) or capture (there are less options in capture settings typically). the way i did it was by going into a terminal and running "alsamixer" without the quotes. you use tab to change between playback, capture, and all. in the playback settings turn down the mic all the way.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast