Thread: isolinux troubles (remastering with custom isolinux.cfg)

Beans

isolinux troubles (remastering with custom isolinux.cfg)

Hi, I am creating a custom LiveCD for use at work with several specific uses (diagnostics and repair mainly). I am using memdisk to load a DOS based drive diagnostic tool (the drive fitness test), though I have never done this before and have only gotten about part of the way with this. I am using an ISO of the disk image of the drive fitness test (not sure if you can do this or not) and memdisk starts to load the drive test, but freezes at a "Loading boot sector... booting...".

Do I need to extract the contents of the ISO? I have tried that in the past, but there would be nothing to boot to if I did. Here is my isolinux.cfg...

DEFAULT /casper/vmlinuz
    GFXBOOT bootlogo
    GFXBOOT-ACCESS-OPTIONS v2 v3 m2
    APPEND file=/cdrom/preseed/xubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
    LABEL live
    menu label ^Start or install Xubuntu
    kernel /casper/vmlinuz
    append file=/cdrom/preseed/xubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
    LABEL clamav_ide
    menu label Start a virus scan with ClamAV -- IDE
    kernel /casper/vmlinuz
    append file=/cdrom/preseed/clamav_ide.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
    LABEL drivetest
    menu label Start ^Drive Fitness Test
    kernel /install/memdisk
    append initrd=/install/dft32_v410_b00.iso
    LABEL memtest
    menu label ^Memory test
    kernel /install/mt86plus
    append -
    LABEL hd
    menu label ^Boot from first hard disk
    localboot 0x80
    append -
    DISPLAY isolinux.txt
    TIMEOUT 300
    PROMPT 1
    F1 f1.txt
    F2 f2.txt
    F3 f3.txt
    F4 f4.txt
    F5 f5.txt
    F6 f6.txt
    F7 f7.txt
    F8 f8.txt
    F9 f9.txt
    F0 f10.txt

Beans

Re: isolinux troubles (remastering with custom isolinux.cfg)

load a DOS based drive diagnostic tool (the drive fitness test),
    So let me get this straight - you have ALREADY got a bootable CDROM that boots this "Drive Fitness Test"? If that is the case then you will need to take the contents off the disk.

Do I need to extract the contents of the ISO? I have tried that in the past, but there would be nothing to boot to if I did. Here is my isolinux.cfg...
    ...Sure there would! That's what isolinux is... a bootloader. The question is, what exactly is on your cdrom/in your iso image? Is it a floppy emulated boot image or what? Let me know what is in your iso image and maybe I can help.

Beans

Inside the ISO is a copy of IBMDOS (IBMBIO.COM, IBMDOS.COM and all the DOS drivers) as well as the actual drive test program. I have tried setting initrd=/install/IBMDOS.COM when it was unpacked, but it always said it didn't exist for some reason...

Beans

I figured out what I had to do. There is also an available floppy image for download. I downloaded that and replaced the iso with the img and it booted fine, thanks for the help!