Thread: Are basic human rights a (forum)political issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Are basic human rights a (forum)political issue?

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to start a political debate and get jailed/infractioned/banned for it, so please keep the "party-sign" out. I live in a small country, and is quite unconcerned about who gets to wield the scepter in your respective countries.

Ok, the point of all of this:

I've traversed quite a few fora in my time, and a lot (well, most) of the time there's a sticky or forum-agreement about not posting political topics.

That's all fine and dandy as I can understand people will be getting into written squabbles about their respective ideologies in any given country, throwing harsh words primarily fueled by upbringing and emotion rather than logic, fragmenting the community. Been there, participated in that, I sadly have to admit.

What I do not understand, is why fora, in a lot of places, close/jail discussions when it comes to the not-so-hard-to-understand issue of basic human rights.

Yes, there has recently been a thread-closing on ubuntuforums regarding that exact issue, people involved will know. Apart from the issue of smalltime hacking/ddos'ing, the rest was pretty much what you would classify as concerning "basic human rights", and a discussion thereof.

As I said, this is not the first incident, by far, that I have come across. Another prominent example was the mensa.org forums launched not that long ago. Basically, every nationality got their own subforum with common forum-rules that were almost copies of each other. Then China got their own subforum, and...well...their mods made amendments to those rules that would raise the bs-detector-alert to max; there was an outcry, and now the rules simply state something along the lines of "stay harmonious", go figure.

Bottomline; question to you; what I am wondering: Do we not all agree that basic human rights is a good thing, even on forums? If yes, is it still then a political issue to be moderated (since we all agree on it)? If no, why?
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans

Re: Are basic human rights a (forum)political issue?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say with that long post

Anyway, these are private forums, in private ownership. What they say goes and your 'rights' essentially stop when you login here. If they don't like discussions that invariably turn in to some form of politic discussion then they can silence you or ask you to leave.

Kinda like you coming into my house and start saying/doing stuff I don't like in my house, I have every right to ask you to stop or kick your *** to the kerb.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ZarathustraDK View Post
    Disclaimer: I'm not trying to start a political debate and get jailed/infractioned/banned for it, so please keep the "party-sign" out. I live in a small country, and is quite unconcerned about who gets to wield the scepter in your respective countries.

Ok, the point of all of this:

I've traversed quite a few fora in my time, and a lot (well, most) of the time there's a sticky or forum-agreement about not posting political topics.

That's all fine and dandy as I can understand people will be getting into written squabbles about their respective ideologies in any given country, throwing harsh words primarily fueled by upbringing and emotion rather than logic, fragmenting the community. Been there, participated in that, I sadly have to admit.

What I do not understand, is why fora, in a lot of places, close/jail discussions when it comes to the not-so-hard-to-understand issue of basic human rights.

Yes, there has recently been a thread-closing on ubuntuforums regarding that exact issue, people involved will know. Apart from the issue of smalltime hacking/ddos'ing, the rest was pretty much what you would classify as concerning "basic human rights", and a discussion thereof.

As I said, this is not the first incident, by far, that I have come across. Another prominent example was the mensa.org forums launched not that long ago. Basically, every nationality got their own subforum with common forum-rules that were almost copies of each other. Then China got their own subforum, and...well...their mods made amendments to those rules that would raise the bs-detector-alert to max; there was an outcry, and now the rules simply state something along the lines of "stay harmonious", go figure.

Bottomline; question to you; what I am wondering: Do we not all agree that basic human rights is a good thing, even on forums? If yes, is it still then a political issue to be moderated (since we all agree on it)? If no, why?
    basic human rights was a good thing,Things seem to have changed badly.
    Its like the me generation grew up and now controls everything.KEYword is GREED

Beans

I certainly think so.
    There are 10 different kinds of people:
    Those who understand binary numbers
    Those who don't
    Free/open-source game development kit: http://openblox.sourceforge.net

Beans

Cool Re: Are basic human rights a (forum)political issue?

Of course human rights are important! But this forum is about Ubuntu and Linux... I don't see any connection.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Kinda like you coming into my house and start saying/doing stuff I don't like in my house, I have every right to ask you to stop or kick your *** to the kerb.
    Hmmm... I probably wouldn't come to your house if you didn't like human rights

Stay Ubuntu man
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans

This is the official support Forum for ubuntu.It is owned by Canonical. It's primary function is to provide free support for the many ubuntu users and an introduction to ubuntu for new or potential
    users.

It is not a soap box. There are many places on the web where you can express your views and excercise your free speech.

This has been covered many times and is featured in the Forum Code of conduct and is not open for debate.

Thread closed.
    This account is not active.