Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't want to Wine...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question I don't want to Wine...

I enjoy playing games. But I don't want to slow things down with Wine or Cedega, and also, as someone commented in a different forum; if I buy windows-games to run in Cedega, how will the game developers know that what I _really_ want is games developed for linux?

So, I have installed Americas Army. It works great, and it is a lot of fun even though I think it is a bit too realistic at times (one bullet in the head actually kills you, which makes it really difficult). I will soon also give Neverwinter Nights a try since I heard they have a linux download on their web page and I already own a licence.

There are also a lot of small but enjoyable games available with install and from synaptic.

BUT, what I wanted to ask is this: What other games can you recommend that will run directly in linux - without Wine or Cedega? Someone said something about WoW, but then I read here that people are making HOWTO:s for using WoW with Wine, so I guess that WoW isn't available for linux then?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: I don't want to Wine...

There are plenty of posts in this forum about various games.
    People are constantly working on new ones.
    I think Quake 4 and the new Doom have Linux packages.
    Another is Savage, kinda of a strategy game.

Check out tuxgames.com for more

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Wow isn't availble for linux, but can run through wine and cedega.

Native commercial linux games: Postal 2, Creatures 3, Quake series, UT series, Dominions Series, Nwn + exp., Savage and savage 2 when it gets released, Devil Whiskey etc. etc. take a look at my sig.
    There's also a loki installer for Morrowind + exp.

Beans

Umm... how can wine and cedega be slow? you might think is emulating but really it runs like a native, i run many games in my ubuntu box and none of them have trouble with wine/cedega (except the ones that aren't supported) and mouse and performance is very smooth
    A freelancer | The GIMP Compilation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm running Quake 4, Doom 3, Neverwinter Nights, and Enemy Territory with Linux native clients. Back when my gaming clan had a CoD squad, I ran CoD on Wine and had better performance and less lag than when I ran it under XP.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence

Native commercial linux games: Postal 2, Creatures 3, Quake series, UT series, Dominions Series, Nwn + exp., Savage and savage 2 when it gets released, Devil Whiskey etc. etc. take a look at my sig.
    Yeah, but there are also loki installers for Soldier of Fortune 2, Baldur's Gate 2, etc. But they're all still using Wine.

Of course there is an easy howto for Neverwinter Nights in my Sig that I created for the Platinum edition. If you don't have the platinum edition, I'd suggest going to http://icculus.org/~ravage for installers for other editions.

(Note on Neverwinter Nights. The Diamond edition, from what I've heard, is basically the Platinum, but with the Kingmaker CD module. The CD version of Kingmaker is not currently installable in linux. But I think my Howto will still apply for the rest of it. I think Bioware is working on this issue.)

Leech
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence

very good tips.

Thanks a heap =)

Beans

UT2004 is by far the most popular online game available natively on Linux. This game rocks even being 2 years old and has a huge online community, and upcoming UT2007 is gonna be the best game ever

Beans

heres my games dir for linux games (faster then typing them all). All these game are native.

most are commercail games, but Wesnoth (which is free) is really getting my addicted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

As for fun Native Linux games I play (in no particular order)

1) Savage
    2) America's Army
    3) Vendetta Online
    4) Wesnoth
    5) Neverwinter Nights
    6) Unreal Tourniment
    7) Quake 4

For emulated games I play

1) Warcraft 3
    2) StarCraft
    3) Half Life 2
    4) Old SNES ROMS
    5) My old dos games (Might and Magic, Bards Tale, etc)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast