Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: [Howto] Successfully install the svn MPlayer under Hardy Heron

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: [Howto] Successfully install the svn mplayer + gmplayer + all the codecs.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Using the svn mplayer is certainly a choice, and one that is available for everybody to make. As I see it there are 3 choices:

1. Use the Ubuntu repository version.This is the safest option and will give you an mplayer that has been expertly crafted to fit in with Ubuntu. Certain choices will have already been made for you, some codecs added but not others, but it will be a safe, solid bit of software that will be automatically updated by the Ubuntu team if a newer version is produced for Ubuntu.
    2. Use the source code for the latest Release Candidate. This can be downloaded from the mplayer web site and represents a "polished" version of mplayer. This is a tempting option as MPlayer v1.0rc2 has only recently been released. You have to download a skin + codecs yourself and decide on your own compile time options as well as ensuring that dependancies are satisfied.
    3. Use the svn mplayer. This is what my guide describes and it delivers features that have not made it into either of the 2 versions. If a new feature has been added yesterday, you have it today by utilising "svn update". Always carrying the possibility of instability in the case of mplayer it delivers performance often better that either of the 2 options with a stability that I personally have never seen in question. There are some very clever people out there and the svn mplayer allows you to share the product of their labours.

It is of course all about choice and any of the 3 above will deliver you a decent copy of mplayer, it depends how involved you want to get. BTW when you say "lanchpad.net" do you mean https://code.launchpad.net/mplayer??

Andrew
    Yea, that would be the source used to build the mplayer in (1), or am I missing something?

Precisely, I really meant this one: https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-dev/mplayer/ubuntu "MPlayer for Ubuntu".
    Last edited by Sunnz; October 24th, 2007 at 05:49 AM.
    Registered Linux User #404403 - Ubuntu User #19426

Beans

Hi,

Now I see:

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnz View Post
    Yea, that would be the source used to build the mplayer in (1), or am I missing something?

Precisely, I really meant this one: https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-dev/mplayer/ubuntu "MPlayer for Ubuntu".
    I think that this source represents an in-between stage for Ubuntu. The _actual_ source is found here:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

which no doubt the Ubuntu devs start with and modify to produce the repositiory version. I have never used this 'in-between' version; I have used the Repository version via apt-get, compiled the latest release candidate and settled on the svn mplayer. But if this version works for you go for it

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by ephman View Post
    good news is that i can now play a video full screen... bad new, runs way too slow... any idea how to speed it up?? am i the only person with this issue, did a little hunting and can't find the answer. i have an ati x300, not the heaviest video card, but should be able to run the video full speed. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    x11 is much slower than xv.

Beans

Hi,

Excellent point:

Quote Originally Posted by rvm4000 View Post
    x11 is much slower than xv.
    Perhaps try full screen with xv:

Code:
    $ mplayer -vo xv -fs filename.mpg
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi,

Excellent point:

Perhaps try full screen with xv:

Code:
    $ mplayer -vo xv -fs filename.mpg
    Andrew
    hi,

thanks for your help, so appreciated. ok here's what i noticed, when i switch to xv and go to full screen all i get is a blank screen. here's the thing i noticed. i have a sneaky feeling xgl has something to do with it. just noticed that when i enable xgl is when i have this 'slow full screen' issue. googled around a bit and found i'm not the only person with this issue. so i took their suggestion of using gl2, so i tried it and the strangest thing was that my machine autologged me off. so i tried it again, and i got logged off again. so i think xgl has something to do with this issue of having a slow video at full screen. any other suggestions??

thanks for your bandwidth,

ephman

Beans

Wooooo hooooo!!!

5,000 views! I cannot believe my little guide is so popular!! Do I get a T-shirt or something?

Andrew

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Andrew.46 Great guide, thanks

I'm having problems with the mplayer, It doesn't work very well on the graphic interface, when I try to open within xfce. It only works when I drag & drop files to the gui but not if I doble click or rigjht click open with "mplayer".

and one more question, where is the mplayer source directory, is there where I need to do "make uninstall" for uninstalling the svn version right? is in "/usr/local/bin", or is in the same directory where it was compiled "/home/user/mplayer"
    Last edited by lordViN; October 27th, 2007 at 02:25 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by csulok View Post
    hey

first of all thank you for the guide.

i came here to ask for some advice, halfway through the make install (actually checkinstall but i dont think that counts) i'm getting an error, that i can't resolve, not with google, not with this forum.

Code:
    install -m 755 -s mplayer /usr/local/bin
    strip: could not create temporary file to hold stripped copy of '/usr/local/bin/mplayer'
    install: strip failed
    make: *** [install-mplayer] Error 1

****  Installation failed. Aborting package creation.
    these are the last couple of lines. what could i have done wrong? how do i resolve this issue?
    Hello, today i got the same error while installing cheese.

For you, and anybody elsa having this error:

/usr/local/bin does not exist

so create it first, then it will work

(sudo mkdir /usr/local/bin and sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin)

Beans

Hi,

Good to see a fellow xfce user:

Quote Originally Posted by lordViN View Post
    Andrew.46 Great guide, thanks
    I'm having problems with the mplayer, It doesn't work very well on the graphic interface, when I try to open within xfce. It only works when I drag & drop files to the gui but not if I doble click or rigjht click open with "mplayer".
    Hmmm... I suspect that this might be a problem with your setup rather than an mplayer problem. I use xfce myself with no such problem. What is the error message you receive?

and one more question, where is the mplayer source directory, is there where I need to do "make uninstall" for uninstalling the svn version right? is in "/usr/local/bin", or is in the same directory where it was compiled "/home/user/mplayer"
    The directory will be the one you unpacked and compiled the archive in. In this walkthrough I have nominated $HOME/Desktop/mplayer but this is an arbitrary choice and you may have chosen a different location?

Don't forget you can update mplayer easily now by entering the command:

Code:
    $ svn update
    in this directory also and then recompiling. The mplayer svn repository is always busy

All the very best!!

Andrew

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

thanks for your help,

the message I receive is "Failed to open the file xxxx" but it only happens with some files.

about updating you wrote:

Don't forget you can update mplayer easily now by entering the command:

Code:

$ svn update

in this directory also and then recompiling. The mplayer svn repository is always busy
    After updating using the "svn update", it's necessary to do a new ./configure, and then "make" and "sudo make install" again? and also I need to a "sudo make uninstall" before all that right?

so probably if I'm right the order for updating is:

Code:
    $ sudo make uninstall
    $ svn update
    $ make clean
    $ ./configure \
    --prefix=/usr/local \
    --enable-largefiles \
    --enable-gui \
    --codecsdir=/usr/local/lib/codecs
    $ make
    $ sudo make install
    I'm right?
    Last edited by lordViN; October 30th, 2007 at 10:06 AM.

Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast