Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast

Thread: [Howto] Successfully install the svn MPlayer under Hardy Heron

Beans

Re: [Howto] Successfully install the svn MPlayer under Hardy Heron

I wonder how much time should be spend on this? 2-3 hr maybe? Just exactly the same time to install MacOS is required. Compare installation of the full OS with a freaking codec compilation...

Poor Linux, it's a toy to kill time.

--
    Roman

Beans

Hi fukc,

Quote Originally Posted by fukc View Post
    I wonder how much time should be spend on this? 2-3 hr maybe?
    If your computer has reasonable processing power it should take about 30 minutes...

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by fukc View Post
    I wonder how much time should be spend on this? 2-3 hr maybe? Just exactly the same time to install MacOS is required. Compare installation of the full OS with a freaking codec compilation...

Poor Linux, it's a toy to kill time.

--
    Roman
    Compilation will always take more time than installing a binary. If you were to factor in the amount of time that it took for MacOS to compile at Apple, you would be looking at considerably longer than compiling mencoder

Also, if the wait is too long you can always install the version from the Ubuntu repositories, which may only take seconds, depending on your PC and internet connection.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

On my dual quad core with make -j8 command it takes less than ten minutes with all 8 cores in action. The only time it takes is the download of the necessary files.

If you don't wish to compile, there is the basic medibuntu option as well as latest option offered via ppa from Brandon Snider and RVM who is also the creator of the excellent SMPLAYER.

At least Linux offers me the means to compile latest x264 and ffmpeg along with a universal player. In Windows I have to depend on Klite to come out with the latest updates, thankfully they are pretty much frequent for now so in all, not bad for a toy distro
    Last edited by Linuxforall; December 20th, 2009 at 10:54 AM.

Beans

RE: mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libcucul.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I can't get past this missing file when I try to run mplayer from the command line. I've searched for an answer that I can understand, but I don't see one. I'm not up to doing a compile, I just want to apt-get install mplayer and have it work. I'm sympathetic with the person who said, in effect, there's too much geekiness in Ubuntu, because I sure can't understand some of the replies that assume the user is a guru instead of a mortal.

I'm running 8.04.1 LTS. I've done apt-get update. I have universe and multiverse enabled in the apt source list. I've run apt-get install mplayer several times now to see if somehow, magically, the missing libcucul.so.0 would appear, but no luck. There aren't any errors when I run apt-get install mplayer.

How can I fix this ?

Thank you.

-- NewtownGuy

Beans

Hi NewtownGuy,

Quote Originally Posted by NewtownGuy View Post
    RE: mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libcucul.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I can't get past this missing file when I try to run mplayer from the command line. I've searched for an answer that I can understand, but I don't see one.
    It does seem a little odd as normally when you install the repository MPlayer it will drag all the required dependencies with it. Perhaps a first step would be to install the following:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libcucul0 libcucul-dev
    and this might get you out of trouble?

I'm not up to doing a compile, I just want to apt-get install mplayer and have it work. I'm sympathetic with the person who said, in effect, there's too much geekiness in Ubuntu, because I sure can't understand some of the replies that assume the user is a guru instead of a mortal.
    Not everybody wants to compile .

Andrew

Beans

This has been a popular guide: 104,167 views. Good work, Andrew.

Beans

Hi Fakeoutdoorsman,

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    This has been a popular guide: 104,167 views. Good work, Andrew.
    Thanks! It pales a little compared to a certain guide that deals with FFmpeg .

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've followed Andrew's on Karmic. Unfortunately, I've got:
    wijit@rmutk-wijit:~$ mplayer Record000.amr
    MPlayer SVN-r30364-4.4.1 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team

Playing Record000.amr.
    Seek failed
    libavformat file format detected.
    LAVF_header: av_open_input_stream() failed

Exiting... (End of file)

Would you teach us to do it on Karmic Koala?

Beans

I'm gathering you may have followed this guide (hardy) on a karmic install?

If so see here ( you should un-install the mplayer you just built and either clean the mplayer source ( make distclean @ the mplayer source prompt) and then follow the guide or better yet maybe just start fresh.

unless something has changed you probably should use this as a configure (see last page or so or maybe Andrew has some idea's
    ./configure --confdir=/etc/mplayer

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305181

Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast