Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: [Howto] Successfully install the svn MPlayer under Hardy Heron

Beans

Re: [Howto] Successfully install the svn mplayer + gmplayer + all the codecs.

Apologies if this has been answered, but I'm assuming we just follow the process in the guide every time a new SVN build is released?

Does this process also give us the newest ffmpeg build? Sorry if that's an obvious question.

I've just come over from Windows, and I know a bit about setting up Directshow codecs, been using ffdshow-tryouts for most uses for the past 2 years, obviously that's based on ffmpeg (usually the latest SVN).

Beans

Hi,

Thanks for your message:

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
    Apologies if this has been answered, but I'm assuming we just follow the process in the guide every time a new SVN build is released?
    The good news is that only part of the process needs to be repeated. If you change to the directory that holds the source code and issue the command:

Code:
    svn update
    you only then need to repeat the actual compile process. You will find it hard to keep up with the svn process as the updates roll in every day, almost without exception. Just keep a record of the revision number as sometimes a revision will break mplayer. If this is the case the following syntax will return the successful version:

Code:
    svn checkout -r <revision> svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
    where <revision> represents the "safe" version (without the angle brackets).

Does this process also give us the newest ffmpeg build? Sorry if that's an obvious question.
    The svn mplayer imports the most recent ffmpeg build. If you watch the svn process you will see this happening, watch for 'importing into livavcodec' etc

I've just come over from Windows, and I know a bit about setting up Directshow codecs, been using ffdshow-tryouts for most uses for the past 2 years, obviously that's based on ffmpeg (usually the latest SVN).
    The 2007 codec pack requires nothing more that to placed in the appropriate directory and sourced by mplayer. However my knowledge of Directshow codecs is simply that mplayer uses them successfully

I wish you all the best with the svn mplayer. Subversion itself has a wealth of options that are well worth exploring if you have an interest.

Regards,

Andrew Strong
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Smile Re: [Howto] Successfully install the svn mplayer + gmplayer + all the codecs.

Thanks for your guide! It worked like a charm. I was reading as I was "make"ing, so I uninstalled the mplayer that I had, used checkinstall and them compiled the plugin too!

Thanks!!

I'm just waiting for the day when we can rewind and fast-forward divx videos in linux

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Introduction

This guide intends to show how to successfully compile a fully featured svn mplayer with all the codecs and with the GUI player gmplayer. It is designed for the Ubuntu distro Gutsy Gibbon but will work with Dapper, Edgy or Feisty with adjustments to the required dev files, but this is not covered in this 'Howto'. Mplayer is a bit of a difficult one to compile so first make yourself a cup of tea and then get your keyboard ready!!

Note: Downloading mplayer using subversion means that you will get the very latest version of this amazing software with all the latest features. But it also exposes you to the newest bugs and problems. If you value safety and stability in your system rather than access to cutting edge versions use the Ubuntu Repository mplayer instead.

First of the Downloads

Still with me? Firstly install subversion + compiling tools and then download the svn mplayer plus the full codec pack:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion 
    $ cd Desktop
    $ svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
    $ wget http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/all-20071007.tar.bz2
    So far so good? Next to decompress the codec package and copy all them to the appropriate location. Make sure you are still on the Desktop and:

Code:
    $ sudo mkdir -v /usr/local/lib/codecs
    $ tar xjvf all-20071007.tar.bz2
    $ sudo cp -v all-20071007/* /usr/local/lib/codecs
    All the dev files

Next comes quite a large download of development files, about 50 megs. These are required so that when mplayer is compiled you will pick up a huge amount of functionality. Don't be surprised if more are suggested, or if you already have some on your system.

Note: These dev files are specific to Gutsy Gibbon, there will be different requirements, not covered in this guide, for Feisty, Edgy and Dapper.

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install avifile-divx-plugin avifile-xvid-plugin gawk \
    libxcursor-dev ladspa-sdk liba52-0.7.4 liba52-0.7.4-dev libaa1-dev libartsc0 \
    libartsc0-dev libasound2-dev libatk1.0-dev libaudiofile-dev libavcodec1d libavcodec-dev \
    libavformat1d libavformat-dev libavifile-0.7c2 libavifile-0.7-dev libavutil1d \
    libavutil-dev libcaca-dev libcairo2-dev libcdparanoia0-dev libcucul-dev libdv4-dev \
    libdirectfb-dev libdirectfb-extra libdbus-1-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev libdc1394-13 \
    libdc1394-13-dev libdfb++-0.9-25 libdfb++-dev libdts-dev libdvdnav4 libdvdnav-dev \
    libdvdread3 libdvdread-dev libebml0 libebml-dev libenca0 libenca-dev libesd0-dev \
    libexpat1-dev libfaac0 libfaac-dev libfaad2-0 libfaad2-dev libfame-0.9 libfame-dev \
    libflac++6 libflac-dev libflac++-dev libfontconfig1-dev libfontenc-dev libfreetype6-dev \
    libfribidi-dev libgdk-pixbuf2 libgdk-pixbuf-dev libgii1 libgii1-dev libgii1-target-x \
    libgl1-mesa-dev libglib1.2 libglib1.2-dev libglib2.0-dev libglu1-mesa-dev \
    libglu1-xorg-dev libgsm1 libgsm1-dev libgtk1.2 libgtk1.2-common libgtk1.2-dev \
    libgtk2.0-dev libice-dev libggi2 libggi2-dev libggimisc2 libggimisc2-dev libggiwmh0 \
    libggiwmh0-dev libjpeg62-dev liblame0 liblame-dev liblivemedia-dev liblzo1 liblzo-dev \
    liblzo2-2 liblzo2-dev libmad0 libmad0-dev libmatroska0 libmatroska-dev libmikmod2 \
    libmikmod2-dev libmp4v2-0 libmp4v2-dev libmpcdec3 libmpcdec-dev libncurses5-dev \
    libogg-dev libpango1.0-dev libpng12-dev libpopt-dev libpostproc1d libpostproc-dev \
    libraw1394-dev libsdl1.2-dev libslang2-dev libsmbclient-dev libsm-dev libspeex-dev \
    libsvga1 libsvga1-dev libsysfs-dev libtheora-dev libungif4-dev libungif4g \
    libvorbis-dev libx11-dev libx264-54 libx264-dev libxau-dev libxcomposite-dev \
    libxdamage-dev libxdmcp-dev libxext-dev libxfixes-dev libxfont-dev libxft-dev \
    libxi-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libxsharp-dev libxv-dev \
    libxvidcore4 libxvidcore4-dev libxvmc1 libxvmc-dev libxxf86dga-dev libxxf86vm-dev \
    mesa-common-dev pnet-interpreter sharutils toolame ttf-bitstream-vera \
    x11proto-composite-dev x11proto-core-dev x11proto-damage-dev \
    x11proto-fixes-dev x11proto-fonts-dev x11proto-input-dev x11proto-kb-dev \
    x11proto-randr-dev x11proto-render-dev x11proto-video-dev x11proto-xext-dev \
    x11proto-xf86dga-dev x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev \
    xlibs-static-dev xtrans-dev zlib1g-dev

Optional Step: H264

If you are keen to use H.264 encoding at some stage you would be best to also compile the latest x264 source code before compiling mplayer. To do this the following commands will log you onto the Videolan x264 subversion repository, download the source code and compile it:

Code:
    $ cd Desktop
    $ svn co svn://svn.videolan.org/x264/trunk x264
    $ cd x264
    $ ./configure
    $ make
    $ sudo make install
    mplayer will pick this up automatically during its configure process and H.264 encoding will then be available to you. Remember this is an optional step and mplayer will run quite happily without it. As well it is a step that that can be added in at a later stage as long as you follow the sequence:
    1. Compile and install H.264 source code
    2. Compile and install mplayer source code
    Installation

The next task is to compile the svn mplayer, setup a font for the OSD and organise a skin for the GUI:

Code:
    $ cd $HOME/Desktop/mplayer
    $ ./configure \
    --prefix=/usr/local \
    --enable-largefiles \
    --enable-gui \
    --codecsdir=/usr/local/lib/codecs
    $ make 
    $ sudo make install
    The next step is to place a symbolic link to a font for the OSD (On Screen Display) and subtitles. At the same time we will create the directory structure for the mplayer skin:

Code:
    $ cd $HOME
    $ mkdir -pv .mplayer/skins/default
    $ ln -sv /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera/Vera.ttf ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf
    And finally to set up a skin for the GUI. Can I say that I rarely use the GUI but in the spirit of generosity, Gentle Reader, I have included the directions on this page for a basic skin and access to gmplayer, the GUI version of mplayer. So, you now need to download a skin, decompress it and then place it in the appropriate directory:

Code:
    $ cd Desktop
    $ wget http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/skins/Blue-1.7.tar.bz2
    $ tar xjvf Blue-1.7.tar.bz2 
    $ cp -Rv $HOME/Desktop/Blue/* $HOME/.mplayer/skins/default
    And you have successfully installed the svn mplayer! You can check the options available for you with the following commands:
    1. mplayer -vo help : Video output available to mplayer
    2. mplayer -ao help : Audio output available to mplayer
    3. mencoder -ovc help : Video encoding available to mencoder
    4. mencoder -oac help : Audio encoding available to mencoder
    Start both from the command line, the CLI version with the command mplayer, the GUI with gmplayer and the movie encoder with mencoder. And remember: "Have fun!".

Andrew

Beans

Hi,

Thanks for your message:

Quote Originally Posted by pritamps View Post
    Thanks for your guide! It worked like a charm. I was reading as I was "make"ing, so I uninstalled the mplayer that I had, used checkinstall and them compiled the plugin too!
    Glad it all worked well! There have been a few problems with some versions of the svn mplayer over the New Year I noticed, but all fixed within 24 hours. It is always a good idea to subscribe to the mplayer-users list as well just to keep on top of any problems:

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/li.../mplayer-users

I'm just waiting for the day when we can rewind and fast-forward divx videos in linux
    Hmmm.... I will take your word for that as I temporarily don't have any mpeg4 / Divx movies to hand. Do the following keys not work:

<- or -> seek backward/forward 10 seconds
    down or up seek backward/forward 1 minute
    pgdown or pgup seek backward/forward 10 minutes
    All the best,

Andrew

Beans

They work when I download the video, but not when the video is embedded on a site.

Thanks for the tip about the mplayer list. I will subscribe to it!

-Pritam

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for your message:

The good news is that only part of the process needs to be repeated. If you change to the directory that holds the source code and issue the command:

Code:
    svn update
    you only then need to repeat the actual compile process. You will find it hard to keep up with the svn process as the updates roll in every day, almost without exception. Just keep a record of the revision number as sometimes a revision will break mplayer. If this is the case the following syntax will return the successful version:

Code:
    svn checkout -r <revision> svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
    where <revision> represents the "safe" version (without the angle brackets).

The svn mplayer imports the most recent ffmpeg build. If you watch the svn process you will see this happening, watch for 'importing into livavcodec' etc

The 2007 codec pack requires nothing more that to placed in the appropriate directory and sourced by mplayer. However my knowledge of Directshow codecs is simply that mplayer uses them successfully

I wish you all the best with the svn mplayer. Subversion itself has a wealth of options that are well worth exploring if you have an interest.

Regards,

Andrew Strong
    Sounds good, thanks

One other quick thing, I prefer to use smplayer as a frontend... if I install smplayer, would it be using these new SVN files, or it's own mplayer build? I mainly prefer smplayer for the superior deinterlace options.

Beans

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by pritamps View Post
    They work when I download the video, but not when the video is embedded on a site.
    In that case unfortunately you will have to chase up the mplayer plugin and I do not know a great deal about it, although I do have it installed on my system.

I note a mailing list for the mplayer pluhin at:

https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/...rplug-in-devel

All the best with mplayer though, it is an amazing program.

Andrew

Beans

Hi again!

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
    Sounds good, thanks

One other quick thing, I prefer to use smplayer as a frontend... if I install smplayer, would it be using these new SVN files, or it's own mplayer build? I mainly prefer smplayer for the superior deinterlace options.
    I have heard a lot about smplayer but never tried it, mostly because the tru power of mplayer is in the command line. Hence the rather poor gui that comes with mplayer

But I downloaded the tarball just to investigate and I found the following in the FAQs:

23) What version of MPlayer is recommended?

SMPlayer requires at least MPlayer 1.0rc1. It hasn't been tested with older releases, and it uses some options only available from 1.0rc1, like -vf screenshot or --***..
    If you use an older version and see that something doesn't work as it should, before reporting a bug I suggest to update MPlayer.

Anyway I recommend to use a svn MPlayer. There are several things that have been improved from version 1.0rc1. For instance now you can change the audio language in avi files, seeking works better in flv and ogm (and maybe other formats). One thing that has really been improved is the SSA/*** library for subtitles.

In the MPlayer download page you can get a svn tar.bz2 ready to compile. And compiling it is very easy (in linux, I mean...)
    So I guess you should be right with both svn mplayer and smplayer. I will admit the gui on the website looks very nice

Andrew

PS For some anti-swearing reason the forum is disguising the letters a s s in the quoted material!!!

Beans

Just to let you know, smplayer can be used with the SVN, but the deb version and repository automatically grabs the version of mplayer from the repository. Synaptic doesn't actually seem to realise mplayer has been installed, so it assumes it's not and tries to grab it from repository (old rc1!). Had to remove mplayer and start again.

So I grabbed the tar from the smplayer page and compiled it using the instructions (my first ever compile woo!), and all works great! I feel rather pleased with myself =P

Hah, experienced Linux users say command line is best - I'm sure I'll learn one day why! I just like smplayer because I can right-click->deinterlace at will.

Beans

Im not sure if anyone else is having this problem or not. Im trying to install Mplayer using your walkthrough but Im installing it on the PS3 with Gutsy.

When it trys to install the dev files you have listed the first one gives an error
    E: Couldn't find package avifile-divx-plugin

Im very new to linux so any help will be appreciated. Thanks alot.

Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast