Thread: [SOLVED] Ubuntuzilla accessing the Internet for updates - how to stop - how do I??

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

[SOLVED] Ubuntuzilla accessing the Internet for updates - how to stop - how do I??

ubuntuzilla in my logs show that it is checking the net for a newer version - if I uninstall it it leaves an orphaned lib file and if I remove that firefox will refuse to start up - so anyway I can stop it from accessing the internet.
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist
    K/Ubuntu 7.10 Tips/Tricks
    3_days_+_no_reply=Subscription_Removed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Ubuntuzilla accessing the Internet for updates - how to stop - how do I??

Quote Originally Posted by nowshining View Post
    ubuntuzilla in my logs show that it is checking the net for a newer version - if I uninstall it it leaves an orphaned lib file and if I remove that firefox will refuse to start up - so anyway I can stop it from accessing the internet.
    hi,
    yes, ubuntuzilla checks for version updates. this way if mozilla changes site layout, the update notifications will still be able to come through after an ubuntuzilla update.

if you want to stop it, you can uninstall the ubuntuzilla package.

i don't know what you mean by "orphaned lib file" - but the solution to that problem is obvious: if removing it breaks firefox, don't remove it.

you could also delete the file /etc/cron.daily/ubuntuzillaupdatecron, that will stop the ubuntuzilla auto-update job, as well.

there's also a separate cron job to check for updates to the mozilla products - that one is in your user crontab, and if you want to stop it, you can run ubuntuzilla with "removeupdater" action (see project site for usage details)
    Last edited by nanotube; September 24th, 2007 at 03:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

thanks for the info. however it would be great if this stuff is known BEFORE downloading and or installing or while installing the ubuntuzilla program. unless of course I have missed it.
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist
    K/Ubuntu 7.10 Tips/Tricks
    3_days_+_no_reply=Subscription_Removed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by nowshining View Post
    thanks for the info. however it would be great if this stuff is known BEFORE downloading and or installing or while installing the ubuntuzilla program. unless of course I have missed it.
    hehe, yea, you've missed it - this functionality is listed right in the feature list on the main ubuntuzilla site:
    http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/#tochome3
    (see third item from the bottom in the feature list)