Thread: Fedora 7, clean, nice and polished

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Fedora 7, clean, nice and polished

the last fedora (core those times) I've used was FC5. so I wanted to see what's the state of the Fedora distro so I've installed Fedora 7 5 days ago and I must confess I really like it. the installer from the livecd ran just fine (+ for anaconda), all my hardware was well supported (nothing unexpected as I have a quite old rig), I love the artwork and the overall feeling of the distro. It was the only distro of which I didn't feel the need to change the default look. the fonts (Liberation font I think) are very nice and crisp, sorry to say but they simply look better than the default ones of ubuntu. other things...yum is reasonably fast, although is lagging behind apt-get (nothing beats apt-get/aptitude), after I've added the livna repo I was able to install the multimedia codecs and so. I don't know if it's just am impression, but Fedora feels more professional. I don't know if exactly what I'd recommend to a beginner, there are things that are not so out-of-the-box obvious and made easy. for example I had to manually mount my ntfs and fat32 partition. still, it's user-friendly enough to be used by anyone.
    in conclusion, F7 will probably be my main desktop until gutsy comes out
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Fedora 7, clean, nice and polished

Nah, can't use it w/ my Acer notebook. Ndiswrapper & 4k kernal stack cause total lock-up and I'm not willing to install & reconfig a vanilla kernel... Other than that, Fedora 7 is a nice looking distro.

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

"lucky" me I have a pretty old desktop rig ...
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Fedora 8 is the distro to try, then. F7 did not work on my brand-new desktop, either (Jmicron controller), but F8 RC3 runs like a champ!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by mivo View Post
    Fedora 8 is the distro to try, then. F7 did not work on my brand-new desktop, either (Jmicron controller), but F8 RC3 runs like a champ!
    Does it have a driver manager for installing graphics card drivers? How do you install drivers? And, did you try to run Compiz, does it come with Compiz Fusion?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

For drivers, you go to Livna.org and click on the relevant release (8 will be there when it is out, right now you have to manually add the devel repository), which will add the livna repo -- sort of like multiverse in Ubuntu. Then select the driver and download it, just like you would in Synaptic.

F8 comes with Compiz installed out of the box, but is disabled by default -- it is enabled the same way as in Ubuntu (clicking a button in Desktop Effects). If you want Compiz-Fusion or Beryl instead, they are in the repository and can be installed with a click. All of them are in the official repository and supported.

Yes, I use Compiz with the cube, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Tried the live cd in Virtualbox. It's good, I liked the selection of packages, and the package manager is faster than I expected. I also saw compiz fusion in the repo. I'll now burn the cd and install it on a partition.
    Last edited by mindtrick; November 3rd, 2007 at 07:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I agree.Its really a nice and polished os.Have been using it on my acer travelmate laptop ever since it released.One of the best linux distros.
    Ubuntu 9.04(i386)@Inspiron1420
    Ubuntu 9.04 Server(amd64)@Gateway DX4200
    Ubuntu 10.04/Windows 7(amd64)@Gateway NVU53
    RHCE,SCSA,HP CSA

Beans
    Hidden!

I actually just spent a week with Fedora 8 and found more to like about it than hate about it. Ultimately, the very, very few things that didn't sit well with me sent me back to Ubuntu. I was pleased to find that suspend/resume worked properly, and how YUM was not as slow as people have been making it out to be. Adding the Livna repository was simple and I was able to play MP3s in no time. A few of the packages that I really needed though were either very out of date and didn't work or just didn't exist in any of the repositories I was able to find, all of which existed and up to date in Debian repositories. Very small complaint, but things I need. That said, I would gladly use Fedora in the future, or maybe even on a laptop for work-related tasks, as well as recommend it to people interested in trying out Linux.
    Only thing I had to change in terms of hardware detection was my DVD rom in the fstab in order to mount certain data DVDs, which I have to do in Ubuntu as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Strange process I go through. But wasn't learning enough with Ubuntu so I am switching both my laptop and home to Fedora 8. There are some rough edges but solvable. One other PC will remain Gutsy.

Pulse Audio is cool because I plan to install another sound card.
    Sound is exceptional. In general Fedora is a faster desktop. Very pretty changing color. Packages are newer (although some missing)

Ubuntu is a great distro (apt-get) but so is Fedora. I can recommend both to different stage users.