Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wine and Windows original files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wine and Windows original files

I currently have a windows xp license and was wondering if it is possible just to use the window's dll's instead of wine's opensource versions?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Wine and Windows origonal files

For the core functionality, like low level stuff, DirectX, etc, no. The Wine versions translate Windows system calls into equivalent Linux ones, so they can't be replaced.

DLLs that are not implemented in Wine, though, can definately be copied over and used (for example, Visual Basic runtime DLLs and other similar ones).

But if you're thinking that copying over DirectX DLLs to make it run better, it won't. In fact, it won't run at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Not entirely true. Wine does not have any built in implementation of the d3dx9_##.dll files and those can be copied into your Wine directory. They can sometimes help with Direct3D based games and they don't harm Wine at all. Additionally, nearly any Windows DLL can be used in place of the built in Wine DLLs. The only exceptions are kernel32.dll, gdi32.dll, user32.dll, and ntdll.dll. Those DLL files should never be overridden.

If you do choose to use a Windows native DLL in place of an existing Wine DLL, make sure you don't overwrite the Wine one. If the Windows DLL fails to work, you'll want to be able to get the Wine one back.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

Just to butt in what would happen if I delete my windows folder in wine and copy and paste the one from an actually windows installation?

Despite almost losing 1.5GB would it make games/Applications work better?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Aspect View Post
    Just to butt in what would happen if I delete my windows folder in wine and copy and paste the one from an actually windows installation?

Despite almost losing 1.5GB would it make games/Applications work better?

..... no

no no no no no no no

That is an absolutely terrible idea.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, what he said.

Just because a Wine DLL can be overridden with a native Windows one, doesn't mean it should be. Some of the Wine DLLs are actually better than their Windows counterpart and replacing them will negatively impact Wine severely.

Beans
    Hidden!

Be careful: Windows has its expectations about what information goes where in its system calls, and Linux has its own expectations. The challenge arises because what goes where is usually different between the OSes - which is why we have tools like Wine.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    If you do choose to use a Windows native DLL in place of an existing Wine DLL, make sure you don't overwrite the Wine one. If the Windows DLL fails to work, you'll want to be able to get the Wine one back.
    Doesn't matter if you overwrite the files in windows/system32 because they are only there incase a program checks there for a file. Thoose files aren't even the real dlls, they are somewhere else.

Beans
    Distro

Yes the "real" DLLs are actually in /usr/lib/wine but you still shouldn't overwrite the DLLs in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 with native Windows DLLs. I've overwritten them in the past and changing or deleting the override settings in winecfg didn't set things back to the way they were. I believe it has something to do with how Wine determines DLL load order (I think the default is Native first, then Built-in), but I'm not really sure.
    Last edited by cogadh; September 23rd, 2007 at 04:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Does a list of "safe to copy" or "Files that are beneficiary to copy" exist? If so where might it be found?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast