Thread: Installing AoE II

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Installing AoE II

Hey, I've been trying to install Age of Empires II on Wine now, I have the expansion too but I'm not installing it right now. I've installed the game and it's in my 'c drive' but when i open it up in Wine File, and double click on the exe 'empires2' nothing happens. The uninstall.exe works, but not the play one. Anybody know why?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Installing AoE II

Quote Originally Posted by MMalen View Post
    Hey, I've been trying to install Age of Empires II on Wine now, I have the expansion too but I'm not installing it right now. I've installed the game and it's in my 'c drive' but when i open it up in Wine File, and double click on the exe 'empires2' nothing happens. The uninstall.exe works, but not the play one. Anybody know why?
    It does not work on Wine, but does on Cedega

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Are you sure? Because I've been reading tons of articles about it and it seems to me that most people who tried have actually got it working now. It's just a matter of finding someone who had the same problem as me.

In any case I'm beginning to think I should maybe install Cedega, can you have it at the same time as wine?

Beans

AOE2 & its expansion work on wine with a gold rating, meaning it installs & runs almost without issue.

yes you can install cedega side-by-side with wine but i wouldn't do it cuz as i said, there isn't a reason to since wine runs its just fine.

could you clarify? do you mean you're double clicking the aoe2 executable and its not starting?
    Linux User #440528
    openSUSE 12.1 x86_64/KDE 4.8.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Yes, I double click it and nothing happens. With the trial (which I installed just to see if it would work) gives me a graphical error which I remember reading about in another thread so I could fix that if I really wanted to but I'd rather install the full version.

I have tried taking the CD out and trying it again, I've also tried running it from the terminal but that didn't work either.

Beans

you should try launching it from command line to get a more verbose output. (do this with every program to get more info).
    something like this:
    wine /path/to/aoe2.exe
    Linux User #440528
    openSUSE 12.1 x86_64/KDE 4.8.4