Thread: KTorrent

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

KTorrent

OK, this is more of a general inquiry regarding the updating of the repository system than anything, but here goes:

Recently, KTorrent 2.1 had been crashing on me very often, so I went to the website to check it out and found out that they had 2.2.1 out, and also they had a pre-packed installer for 2.2 on Ubuntu, though this update was not in the official Ubuntu repository.
    The worst of it was that when I downloaded the installer and went to install it, it told me that I ought to use apt-get or synaptic rather than using this installer, but I obviously couldn't do that because the new package wasn't available there yet. I was thinking to myself that installing this wouldn't replace the old KTorrent and that I would have to import all of my torrents to the new version, and I didn't really look forward to that. When I finally decided to run the installer, it actually did replace the old version (the new version is stable and pretty much crash-free), which made me happy but led me to two worrying conclusions.

For one, why are the repositories lacking in newer, stabler releases of the software that appears on Ubuntu? Things like KTorrent or Pidgin that have vastly improved since the release of 7.04 are not added into the list in a very timely fashion, is this because Gutsy is being worked on?

The more worrying thing though is that the installer I downloaded didn't tell me it would replace the old version before I clicked 'install,' which is a serious problem. Is this the KTorrent developers' fault? Most definitely, but I think this is the type of thing that really deters people from using Ubuntu. It can be very unnerving changing something on your computer without knowing at least a few important things about what it will do. Synaptic makes it much easier, but it is slow to be updated, or rather, it doesn't offer the best software for the time.

I know this is not an easy thing to do well, but I still think it could do with a little improvement. Am I wrong/off-base?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: KTorrent

Was thinking why would u want it to tell u it will be replacing previous install. For my part I have installed later versions than those found in synaptec or add remove. Have had no difficulty with any program I have handled that way. There is a way to completely remove "stray" files that stick around after an install. Ktorrent that comes with ubuntu and the later versions both do have a tendency to sort of "stall". Still working my self to find out why.

The repositories are not really updated regularly and that is a set back but one that I personally can live with considering all else that one gets with Ubuntu. What I try to do is block out the "windows culture".

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: KTorrent

Well, what I'm trying to point out is that there is a lack of information that people should have when installing something, and this is the type of thing may deter people from using Linux. One of the reasons I like linux so much is that usually, you are in complete control and know what is happening on your system, and yet simply updating a program, it fails to tell me that it is replacing the old version. I just had to click 'install' and cross my fingers that everything would work out ok, which fortunately, it did, however, I think that people generally frown on this kind of behaviour in software. I just thought it would be a good idea for anyone making an installer to more clearly describe what the installer will do BEFORE you click install.