View Poll Results: Do you think this is a worthwhile project?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make a grahpical RAR maker!

120 80.00%
  • No, this is a waste of time!

23 15.33%
  • Maybe; the script is great, thanks, but a GUI is unnecessary

7 4.67%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphical RAR program I'm working on

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thumbs down MKRAR - The Graphical Split RAR Archive Maker!

Bulletin board:
    • I am planning on making a few minor fixes and also adding one more feature soon - the ability to save the archives to a directory of your choice instead of just putting them in the same folder as the source files!
    • I've decided to re-write my script to a text-based version, if people like that better. I tried to keep as many features as possible, but it is slightly less idiot-proof
    • How does everyone like the new interface!? If you want the original one, get the "Modified Interface" package (second one) instead - it's the same except it uses the old-style dialogs, but all the 2.1 features are still there!

Current Version Info:
    • Version 2.1 is done!
    • The script can be found attached, and instructions for it here:To use it, just download, extract, and click it!
    • Pick "run in terminal" to run it
    • If the script requires extra apps, it will install them for you - no need to run about finding them!
    • After the first launch, you can run it by just typing "mkrar" in the terminal!
    • If you have downloaded a new version of mkrar, it will not automatically update by just running! Instead, run the included update script to update!
    Feature list:
    • Easily create split rar archives
    • small technical improvements and filesize optimization for 1.9 and beyond
    • Adjust the priority (nice value) to run at (0 to 19)
    • Full support for filenames with spaces!
    • File browser window to pick "to-be-archived" folder/file containing directory
    • Once location is chosen, all available files are generated into a scrolling list!
    • Lock, Test, convert filename case, delete original files on completion, auto-exclude empty folders all easily selected from a list of check boxes!
    • Choose from 5 compression levels (none (just archive) to max. (5))
    • Easily choose to split into KB, MB, GB, or not at all!
    • Customized messages for each selection!
    • Sizes round properly! (10Mb does not equal 10 million bytes, but 10 real MB!)
    • Interface and order layed out in an intuitive and adapting manner!
    • Automatically checks if all required sub-scripts/apps are installed, so you don't have to! If one does need to be installed, the process is VERY simple - you simply need to give it permission (and the root password to install) and it will do it all for you! - the RAR command, UNRAR command, and Zenity (used to display dialogs) will all be handled in this release (1.6) and beyond. Zenity is included by default in gnome, but it may not be in other DE, so, don't worry, it takes care of everything!
    • Numerous, informative conformation dialogs to ensure no mistakes!
    • And much more! Try it today!

License:
    • Yes, I've finally decided to license the script under the GPL version 3! *raises hands to calm cheers*
    Support Policy:
    • To make things easier, I now supply a little script called "mkrar-GenuineAdvantage" (if any of you has used windows this may sound familiar )
    • The purpose of this is to make sure that you have the latest copy, everything is installed correctly, and it has not been modified
    • How my support works is this: you run the Genuine Advantage script, email me the code and your problem, and I'll try to the best of my ability to help you solve it!
    • If you are having trouble authenticating your installations of mkrar and/or mkrarTB, that means that your installation(s) of mkrar and/or mkrarTB are corrupt, and if this happens, please verify that they have been installed to /bin, and are named "mkrar" and/or "mkrarTB", with no extension, and also make sure they are genuine from this page, as modified versions will not be supported!*
    • Please note: If you are having trouble extracting and running the Genuine Advantage script, and instead a text editor is opened with a bunch of gibberish, please do not send me that! Your code is only 8 characters! It should be as simple as download, extract, and run, but if not ask for help!
    The Story:
    • I was always very angry with the fact that there was no tool for making split archives, and the creation of them period was always so difficult because you had to remember this big ugly command with all these options. Well, I decided to make this to help out!
    • It started as a very technical-person's, basic, non-graphical script with nearly no features, but it grew, because of everyones help and support, not just here but everywhere, into probably the best RAR making tool available for Linux to this day! Why, just look at the features!
    • I think this is a very useful project, and if you have any suggestions for the script, just leave a comment, send me an email, or whatever you want I guess!
    Attachment key:
    • mkrar (2.1) and updater: The always up-to-date, easy to use, and very feature-rich graphical script for split RAR making for dummies . It also now includes a very simple script that will allow you to update your installation of mkrar with only the knowledge of how to type the root password!
      • (slightly more user friendly - lists everything as "click-able" entries, virtually no typing required!)
    • mkrar (2.1) and updater - Old interface: I put this in in case some people still like the old interface - it has all the 2.1 features with the 2.0 look!
      • (slightly less user friendly, slightly more powerful though - lists everything as drop-down menus, custom entries (typing) allowed), nearly no typing required!) *personal favorite*
    • mkrarTB (1.0): A text-based version of the now extremely popular "mkrar" for Unix/Linux. And since it doesn't involve Zenity, there's a good chance it might work on a Mac too!
      • (significantly less idiot proof - everything must be entered by hand, including paths and values that could be mis-typed. Equal in power (ability to type in paths and names) to mkrar 2.1 Old Interface)
    Footnotes:
    1. (from support section) - I understand if this seems harsh, but I cannot possibly be expected to support modified version of this script, and here is why:
    • I have 3 version of this, and I know them inside and out, and what should happen, when it should happen, possible problems, etc.; I can pretty much recite the source code from memory
    • However, as much as I encourage you to build upon this as a base for future projects and endeavors of your own accord, I will not know how your code works, and do not intend to try and solve your programing problems. However, I will and would be perfectly happy to assist in the education of how to do something, as with any problem.
    • In short, I am glad to help you with a default install thats not working, and as for all you beginner developers out there, I won't fix your code for you, but I will help you to learn how to do things so you an build and test the code for yourself.
    Last edited by ryanVickers; February 2nd, 2008 at 06:41 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Graphical RAR program I'm working on

umm, one of the packages you install for rar allows file-roller to create/extract rar archives ...
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Does it let you make split archives!?!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

hmm, you changed the first post. I never said to stop your project (you can only benefit from writing more code). Maybe you could pass the code onto gnome and kde or whoever maintains file-roller and ark? Personally, I don't see the point for multiple archives anymore because of the relatively high broadband proliferations and stuff like bittorrent.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yeah I did change it, sorry! Just so no one else didn't get it like you right away. (yes, that sentence could use come work, but it gets the point across)

I see the point all the time! Say your uploading to some site and the limit is 50 or 100 or something Mb's? Suppose you want to bring a bunch of files to someone on CD's because they don't have a DVD drive (this is actually plausible )? Not to be mean, but they're good

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

well, the only reason why rar took off was because of split archiving and it being better than arj (which was zip but multifile, which was popular on BBS). in any case, rar was used to upload files to the likes of homestead and geocities by warez groups.

although your points are very valid and I still think you should allow multi-part archives, I just don't think that they are as usefull, today (external usb hard drives). and if a computer doesn't have a usb drive, it is very unlikely to have a very high capacity hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Also, It beats any other compression format for level of compression by far! Especially over regular old .tar, those were awful

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by ryanVickers View Post
    Also, It beats any other compression format for level of compression by far! Especially over regular old .tar, those were awful
    tar files are not compressed. You have to use (or ask tar to use) an external compression utility to do the actual compression. Just FYI.

Also, I thought that 7zip had the best compression these days?

Beans
    Hidden!

Great Script, thanx Always wanted to find a way to make split archives easier.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by yabbadabbadont View Post
    tar files are not compressed. You have to use (or ask tar to use) an external compression utility to do the actual compression. Just FYI. ...
    I know, that's the joke!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast