Thread: Is it possible to have MULTIPLE versions of WINE on the same system?

Beans
    Hidden!

Is it possible to have MULTIPLE versions of WINE on the same system?

I hear people complaining about how the games that worked in a previous version of WINE all of a sudden break under a new version. Now, newer versions of WINE often provide benefits to certain games, whether it's improved graphical support, frame rates, audio support, stability or whatever. But of course if you play many games with WINE, an upgrade might help some, but break others.

You can of course downgrade versions to regain support for anything that broke, but then again if the newer version proved very useful to other games, you'll get annoyed because you've only got the one version of WINE at any given time.

So, I'm curious as to whether there's a way to have two or more versions of WINE available on the same system. Obviously you couldn't do it with packages since they'd try to replace whatever already exists, but if it is possible it would certainly help. You'd have the best version of WINE for each group of games, get the best of all worlds.

The only way I can think of how to do this would be to manually compile WINE and store the contents in separate folders, making sure neither build accesses each other's data files. Would be tricky though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is it possible to have MULTIPLE versions of WINE on the same system?

Unfortunately, you are correct, the only way to do it is to compile it yourself and install the different versions in different directories. I found instructions on this page:
    http://insanelylinux.com/wp/index.php
    The instructions seem fairly straightforward, but I've never tried it myself.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

is that site still up somewhere? I'm trying to find it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Never tried it myself... just read it the other day and thougth of it when i read this post..
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...92&postcount=2
    I get a rush when i can help people!
    These people are my Idols:
    MacSlow, njpatel, Lauri Taimila