Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's going on with Wine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What's going on with Wine?

Yeah, I've been having some problems with the latest Wine myself. The games I run that still work definitely work better, but at least one of my previously working games won't run at all anymore and another has severe issues with stuttering. The next update will likely correct this as I have never had a problem persist for more than one update (so far).

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I'm about to cave in and try Cedega... But it kills me to have to pay to play.....
    pay it forward

Beans
    Distro

Well, I've posted my opinion of Cedega all over these forums many times, so I won't bore you with yet another rant. Suffice it to say that, in my opinion, Cedega is not worth the expense in any conceivable way.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    Well, I've posted my opinion of Cedega all over these forums many times, so I won't bore you with yet another rant. Suffice it to say that, in my opinion, Cedega is not worth the expense in any conceivable way.
    Gotcha!!! I'll just keep plugging away... I just can't get around that Registtry in use BS when I try to play STEAM games... I've hit every forum and googled my behind off and tried everything I could find... Registry blob, open - close STEAM, Cache integrity.... Reboot.... No worky.... Only HL2 works.. Episode 1, Lost Coast, CS:S and HL: Source peter out...
    pay it forward

Beans

Question Re: What's going on with Wine?

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    I'm afraid that's normal with wine. Some thing works in one version but breaks in another, but then something new works.

Don't upgrade wine if the version you have works for the stuff you have.
    Isn't there a way you can tell wine what emulation engine to use with specific games or can only Cedega do this?

Beans
    Distro

You can do it, but it requires you to compile each Wine version you wish to use from the source and install them in separate directories. It can't be done using precompiled packages, like those that are available in the repositories.

Oh, and Wine is not an emulator.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cogadh View Post
    You can do it, but it requires you to compile each Wine version you wish to use from the source and install them in separate directories. It can't be done using precompiled packages, like those that are available in the repositories.

True. Thanks for the reminder.
    ubuntu user # 17477 , linux user # 454685

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123