Thread: Education/Large Scale Deployment

Beans
    Hidden!

Education/Large Scale Deployment

Hello,
    Just wondering what software people were using to control modifications to the hard drive. Cornerstone is a windows based version of what I am looking for. Network booting seems like an ok option, but I would like the machines to be able to stand alone.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Education/Large Scale Deployment

What exactly do you want to do? To restrict what files users can use/modify, just create a restricted user account. If you want to set a limit on their disk usage, install quota to set disk quotas for them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You might want to check out Edubuntu and LTSP. No local hard drives to worry about users changing, no client configuration at all.

If you want stand alone's I think there is a kisok mode you can set up if you use KDE

Beans
    Hidden!

What I am really looking for is something to negate any writes to the hard disk. I just want students to be able to use email, ooo, and have access to their directory (using samba).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just a thought: if your students are "doing email", you'll probably need some provision for cookies being used with webmail - there'd be no point if someone signed in, and then lost their session because of disk modirifcations being undone.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.