Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gentoo has an undeserved reputation

Beans

Wink Gentoo has an undeserved reputation

Gentoo has an undeserved reputation as an extremely hard to learn distro. I have found this completely untrue. Everything is very well documented, and the only slightly negative thing is you must install x and your desktop environment of choice. If you are up for a little bit of learning, give Gentoo a try, its only a 150Mb download if you install from a working Linux setup (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Suse, etc.)
    Windows- The most widely spread piece of malware
    Help with Cancer Research - Team Ubuntu-Folding@home

Beans

Re: Gentoo has an undeserved reputation

It's not hard to use, but for me it doesnt have bennifits, I do run source mage in a Virtual Box however for the fun of it

Beans

I agree with you. I occasionally use the Gentoo Wiki tutorials for help with Ubuntu problems.
    The moon will illuminate my room and soon I'm consumed by my doom.

Beans

I prefer to use my computer rather then working on it all the time. My job is to fix servers and when I get home I just want my stuff to work.

I like things easy, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, PCLinuxOS or Sam Linux all work fine. Debian is good too.

I don't want to spend all day compiling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    I prefer to use my computer rather then working on it all the time. My job is to fix servers and when I get home I just want my stuff to work.

I like things easy, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, PCLinuxOS or Sam Linux all work fine. Debian is good too.

I don't want to spend all day compiling
    I agree with the OP here. I have never understood the "I don't want to spend all day compiling" comment. It's not like you have to sit there watching it do it's work. You can still use your rig for whatever you want in the meantime.

Also, compiling only really takes a long time with very few builds, like the DE, or Open Office. Almost everything else is done in a couple of minutes or less.

Beans

well gentoo is definately not for the beginner though, especially before it got its new installer...
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Agreed 100%

But moved to Gentoo Talk nevertheless
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

well gentoo is definately not for the beginner though, especially before it got its new installer...
    Not forgetting of course the fun of emerging an update which causes an ABI breakage, that can be very nasty if you don't know its coming, and even if you do it can involve a good few hours of recompilation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by MrHippocampus View Post
    Not forgetting of course the fun of emerging an update which causes an ABI breakage, that can be very nasty if you don't know its coming, and even if you do it can involve a good few hours of recompilation.
    How often such things happens? It never happened to me, may be i'm just lucky.

I must admit, tho that I'm not too hot on the graphical installer... it's quite buggy and at the end, I think that the whole experience is more interesting from the command line, just my 2 cents...

Beans

it hasn't happened to me yet either
    Windows- The most widely spread piece of malware
    Help with Cancer Research - Team Ubuntu-Folding@home

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast