Thread: HOW TO SETUP AND USE AN LVM on a running system

Beans
    Hidden!

HOW TO SETUP AND USE A LVM on a running system

This guide is based on using Feisty, but should work well with Edgy and Gutsy too. The guide originally showed how to use it with an XFS file system but the XFS files system has no tool to shrink it like reiser and ext3. The guide now shows how to use it with a reiser file system. Other file systems can be used.

This guide describes how to set up a LVM drive for data on a working system. This can be used, in my case for MythTv to have an expandable volume for recordings.

Parts of this guide were adapted for ubuntu from the following sources.

http://www.builderau.com.au/program/...9274722,00.htm
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/lvm2.xml
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/extendlv.html
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/extendlv.html

WARNING --- BEFORE STARTING

First
    MAKE A BACKUP OF ANYTHING YOU DO NOT WANT TO LOSE OR CANNOT REPLACE. There are plenty of guides to backing up data here on the forums. If you follow the steps below you should not lose data. It is always a good idea to have backed up your important data before using a tool like parted or gparted which has the ability to wipe out your data in seconds if the wrong partition or drive is deleted or formatted.

Second
    If you do not understand what parted or gparted does or the difference between hda, hdb, hdc, and hdd STOP NOW and search the forums or google.

Third
    This is just a guide. Do not copy the commands without knowing what they are going to do. The commands for your machine will be similar but not exactly the same --- See Second Warning.

Fourth
    If you want to be able to easily reduce the size of a file system DO NOT choose XFS. I originally chose XFS but changed the guide to reiser because it can be easily shrunk or expanded. I would choose ext3 or reiser if you want to shrink the partition. Reiser may still have some issues with NFS shares on some distributions*.

NFS and reiser seemed to drop the connection frequently using Feisty. The final setup of my MYTHTV box ended up being 140GB ext3 and a 120GB reiser. The steps below explain how to set up either of these. You can divide your LVM into groups and its very similar to partitioning. The steps below should give you a good understanding of how to setup and configure an lvm.

HOW TO INSTALL AND SETUP THE LVM
    Step 1 - Install the necessary utilities.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lvm2 lvm-common

Step 2 - Fix a bug in Feisty and Edgy

Read more: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...vm2/+bug/96802

In Feisty and Edgy it is necessary to create a link to the correct library in order for pvcreate to work correctly.

Code:
     sudo ln -s /lib/lvm-200 /lib/lvm-0
    Step 3 - Load the LVM MODULES

Code:
     sudo modprobe dm-mod
    Step 4 - Create or erase a partition for the LVM to use

The following example uses gparted to create a single partition on a Maxtor 40 GB HDD that was installed before booting the machine. The device of this drive is hdd and the partition I created is hdd1. (hdd is the slave on the 2nd ide)

Code:
     sudo gparted
    Using gparted create an unformatted partition. (See gparted help or google for gparted)
    You do not have to give the whole drive to the lvm. You can have 1 partition for the lvm and another a plain ole ext3. In this example the entire drive was partioned as hdd1, unformatted, and the entire drive will be given to the lvm
    Close gparted when finished.

Step 5 - Make the partitions available to LVM for use
    Code:
    sudo pvcreate /dev/hdd1

Step 6 - Create the volume group named "data"
    Code:
     sudo vgcreate data /dev/hdd1
    The command above will create a volume group called "data" and assign /dev/hdd1 to it. Another drive, drives, or partitions can be added to the group later. (See ADDING PARTITIONS AND DRIVES)

Step 7 - Make the new space available.

To obtain information on your volume group, use vgdisplay and the volume group name.

Code:
    sudo vgdisplay data | grep "Total PE"
    In my case it reported that 9540 extents were available. I want to give the entire space to a volume called mythtv

Code:
    sudo lvcreate -l 9540 data -n mythtv

STOP
    At this point you can format the drive to use the file system of your choice. For MythTv I chose reiserfs

FORMATTING THE LVM VOLUME

(See HOW TO INSTALL AND SETUP THE LVM Steps 1-7 )

Step 1 - Format the mythtv volume (You can think of this similar to a partition)

Code:
    sudo mkfs.reiserfs /dev/data/mythtv

Step 2 - Create a mount point and mount the the newly created volume.

For testing I gave the /mythtv directory full read/write/execute access 777. Adjust these as necessary to the permissions that you prefer.

Code:
    sudo mkdir /mythtv
    sudo chmod 777 /mythtv
    sudo mount /dev/data/mythtv /mythtv
    At this point you can use the new volume just like any other drive

Step 3 - Mount the volume at boot
    To do this fstab will need an entry.

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    Add a line similar to the line below. The line below is for the reiser file system. If you are using ext3, or another file system then adjust the line accordingly.

Code:
    /dev/data/mythtv      /mythtv     reiser     defaults        0      0
    Save the file and exit the text editor.

STOP - At this point if you can start saving data to the file system or if you reboot your computer the file system should be ready to use when booted.

HOW TO ADD ANOTHER DRIVE OR PARTITION TO THE LVM
    Step 1 - Prepare a drive or partition as described in HOW TO INSTALL AND SETUP THE LVM - Step 4 (above).

Stop any processes currently using the LVM Volume you are working with and unmount the volume.

In my case I didn't need mythtv recording any shows while I was working on this.

Stop MythTV ( You can skip this step if you do not have mythtv installed. If the volume is busy you will receive a message when unmounting.)
    Other items that might be using the drive are samba and nfs. Shut them down too.
    Code:

sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop
    sudo /etc/init.d/samba stop
    sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server stop
    Unmount the volume
    Code:
    sudo  umount /mythtv
    Step 2 - Make the partitions available to LVM for use
    Code:
    sudo pvcreate /dev/hdc1
    Step 3 Add the drive/partition to the group "data"
    The drive I added was about 10 GB and was IDE2-Master (hdc) the partition was hdc1

Code:
    sudo vgextend data /dev/hdc1

Step 4 - Make the new space available.

To obtain information on your volume group, use vgdisplay and the volume group name.

Code:
    sudo vgdisplay data | grep "Total PE"
    If you want a more detailed report of information use the following. This will show MB per drive and a lot of other information.

Code:
    sudo vgdisplay -v
    In my case it now reported that 11924 extents were available. I could give the entire space to the volume called mythtv

I know that be looking at "sudo vgdisplay -v" I have 46 GB available.

In my case I want to leave 2 GB for later use hdd is 36GB and the hdc1 is 10GB
    So 36+10-2=44
    44GB is the total new size I want to use for the mythtv volume. (See NOTE for lvextend)

Code:
     sudo lvresize -L 44G /dev/data/mythtv
    I could have used the output of sudo vgdisplay data | grep "Total PE" and gave it all available space too by using the following command
    sudo lvextend -l 11924 /dev/data/mythtv

NOTE for man lvextend
    -l, --extents [+]LogicalExtentsNumber
    Extend or set the logical volume size in units of logical
    extents. With the + sign the value is added to the actual size
    of the logical volume and without it, the value is taken as an
    absolute one.

-L, --size [+]LogicalVolumeSize[kKmMgGtT]
    Extend or set the logical volume size in units in units of
    megabytes. A size suffix of M for megabytes, G for gigabytes or
    T for terabytes is optional. With the + sign the value is added
    to the actual size of the logical volume and without it, the
    value is taken as an absolute one.

Using -L you can specify 10G for 10 gigabytes or 100G for 100 gigabytes. (Easier to work with GB than extents)

Step 5 - Grow the file system and mount the volume.
    NOTE: The method below is for using the reiser file system. If your are using ext3 or another file system the procedure will be similar. In my case I want to leave 2 GB for later use hdd is 36GB and the hdc1 is 10GB
    So 36+10-2=44
    44GB is the total new size I want to use.

You can read more about resizing the reiserfs here:

http://linux.die.net/man/8/resize_reiserfs

Code:
    sudo resize_reiserfs -s 44G /dev/data/mythtv
    sudo mount /mythtv
    STOP - At this point the newly added space should be ready to use. Your existing files in the volume remain untouched. You can start saving data to the filesystem or if you reboot your computer the file system should be ready to use when booted.

HOW TO REMOVE A DISK FROM THE LVM
    A follow up how-to will be written on how to remove a disk from the LVM soon.

The links below describes removal and replacement of an LVM drive. I will write up a ubuntu how-to once it has been tested.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/removeadisk.html

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8874
    Last edited by tagra123; April 5th, 2008 at 06:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: HOW TO SETUP AND USE AN LVM on a running system

I like the introduction in RED. How clearer can one be when playing around with partitions..
    Don't forget to thank; more points when you want to go to heaven or less karma if you decide for reincarnation. Mark threads solved when they are ...

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks,

I just wanted to make people aware that they could end up being really mad if they didn't have a backup and made a bad mistake. There's no way to miss it written in giant red letters.

I've aleady found XFS isnt the way to go if you want to be able to shrink a partition later. I'll update the howto with that too.

I hope this How to Helps. I coulnd really find any straightforward guide from start to finish and though it might help someone else too.

Reiserfs seems to have some problems with NFS sharing on Feisty. Ended up splitting the LVM Reiserfor the actual recordings and the other half as ext3 for the samba/nfs server. The ext3 folder is where the processed "nuvexported" video ends up.
    Last edited by tagra123; September 25th, 2007 at 06:48 PM.

Beans

just wanted to say thanks for a great write-up and to add that if you are using ext2 or ext3 instead of reiserfs you can use resize2fs to resize the file system...

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks,

Glad it was of use.

Beans

Hardy Update

Works great on hardy with two exceptions:
    1. lvm-common package is not necessary
    2. Symbolic Link bug-fix is not necessary

Tip for resizing EXT3 partitions

Firstly, unmount your volume
    Code:
    sudo umount YOURMOUNTPOINT
    Then, run a filesystem check:
    Code:
    sudo e2fsck -f /dev/YOURVGNAME/YOURVOLNAME
    Next run the resizing tool in one of 2 ways:

To resize FileSystem to maximum size of partition:
    Code:
    sudo resize2fs /dev/YOURVGNAME/YOURVOLNAME
    To resize FileSystem to a specific size:
    Code:
    sudo resize2fs /dev/YOURVGNAME/YOURVOLNAME SIZE
    Where SIZE is something like 40G for 40 Gigabyte.
    For more info man resize2fs.

NOTE: In the precedeing examples
    YOURVGNAME = the name you gave your volume group
    YOURVOLNAME = the name you gave your volume
    YOURMOUNTPOINT = where fstab says to mount your drive
    DO NOT JUST COPY AND PASTE IT WON"T WORK.

Aswell ALWAYS remember if in doubt RTFM.