Thread: Re: German gov't teaches incest, pedophilia

Beans

Re: German gov't teaches incest, pedophilia

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...12&postcount=9
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=48

I would like you guys to look into this please.

We have a situation where staff participated(&started) in a thread (which is fine) and then turns around and start moderating the thread because he does not like the responses he gets when he is the one that took the thread off topic with people lack of religion/faith/morals/ethics. People correctly indicated that ethics & morals are not bound by religion and you could have those values without being religious. Soon afterwards the thread gets locked ?

Staff should not moderate threads they participate in, especially if they take the thread off topic. The reasons given before for a staff member moderating a thread they are participating in does not apply here as others were available to assist.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I agree with your premise that staff should not moderate in threads in which they have participated. I don't think that was PartisanEntity's intent in the second post linked, but that he was wanting to speak as a participant in the thread...as if to say, "Hey, guys, let's all get back on topic here" rather than, "I'm putting on my moderator hat and telling you all to get back on topic or infractions will fly."

Now that I've said that, I will also say that the way in which he posted in that second post you linked could be interpreted either way and could have been phrased in a less-easily-misinterpreted fashion.

I'll discuss it with him for future reference.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Now that I've said that, I will also say that the way in which he posted in that second post you linked could be interpreted either way and could have been phrased in a less-easily-misinterpreted fashion.
    I interpreted it as "I'm putting my moderator hat on now" but also see the other side of the coin now as per your explanation.

I'm happy with the outcome here.

You may close this thread if you so wish as I see it as resolved from my side.

Thank you for your time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello mips and matthew:

Here's the explanation from my end:

1. I brought up the point about religion because it was my personal opinion. i.e. This is how PartisanEntity sees it personally.

2. My mentioning of religion was supposed to be a side note, not the main issue at hand. It was not a main argument I was making. Now that I look back at it I could have made that more clear.

3. When I noticed that some members were deviating from the topic at hand (the actions of the ministry) and instead wanted to expand on the side note I was making, and, taking into consideration how certain members have a personal issue with religion and go off the main topic any time it is mentioned, I got annoyed because I realised my side note was being blown out of proportion and was taking over the topic at hand.

4. Last but not least I never moderate threads in which I participate. The moment I post in a thread I consider myself to be a user and I leave it to fellow staff to moderate a thread as happened in this case. As the OP I asked people to get back on topic, this is not moderation, this is within the rights of any OP.

Next time I will definitely choose my words more carefully and make sure that any side note I make is clearly defined as such so as not to be confused with the main argument.

Regards
    PE.
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm glad we were able to get this straightened out.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!