Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reporting FUD and misinformation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Reporting FUD and misinformation

In my previous discussions on FUD, it was pointed out that if I found misinformation that is untrue and to me is using Fear Uncertanty and Doubt to report it. Per this post.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Kils

Lets take the heat out of the situation .Lets all take a breather.

Can an old hopefully wise gent give you some advise. Never post at the heat of the moment , take a break , think , then post . Instant messaging can bring instant strife.

Calling some one lier is impolite and insulting , at least where I live it is.
    If you dont like what someone is posting , report it and let the staff deal with it.
    So I have reported a few posts. This one in particular is FUD. It reports that the 64bit version requires chroots, and that many applications (mutiple) are missing or need work. All in an effort to stear away the person from the 64bit version using scare tactics.

That said I believe that it is against the Code of Conduct to use Fear to make them switch. That that using information you dont know to be true by personal experience is wrong. That when it is pointed out to you that its wrong and you continue to fight in an effort to use fear it is totaly wrong.

Well even though I have reported what I truly believe to be infractions I got a pm from a mod today.

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife
    Greetings,

you have repeatedly reported posts regarding the 64bit version of Ubuntu to us merely because you disagreed with them. I'd like to remind you that you should report a post only if it is a violation of the Code of Conduct. Reporting anything else is considered abuse and action will be taken if this situation perdures.

Have a nice day,

HTL
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Distro

Re: Reporting FUD and misinformation

I forgot to provide a link. Here is the thread. I reported posts 2 and 12.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I see nothing against forum policies in any post in that thread. It seems to be a disagreement between you and others regarding the true impact of 64-bit Ubuntu.

The disagreements are being handled professionally and calmly. I see no reason why any posts need moderator action.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    I see nothing against forum policies in any post in that thread. It seems to be a disagreement between you and others regarding the true impact of 64-bit Ubuntu.

The disagreements are being handled professionally and calmly. I see no reason why any posts need moderator action.
    So its ok for someone to use Fear Uncertainty and Doubt to scare new users into doing something? That even though I was told by KiwiNZ "If you dont like what someone is posting , report it and let the staff deal with it." If I report something that seems to be wrong I will get pm's telling me not to and suggesting that I am some how breaking a rule reporting it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think you're interpreting the situation too sensitively. The view he had about 64-bit, as you correctly note, is a bit lagging from modern times and the new developments in x86-64 experience. Incorrect information is given all the time on the forums, and then corrected by peers. There shouldn't be a FUD report for each one of these, should there?
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro

I think you're interpreting the situation too sensitively. The view he had about 64-bit, as you correctly note, is a bit lagging from modern times and the new developments in x86-64 experience. Incorrect information is given all the time on the forums, and then corrected by peers. There shouldn't be a FUD report for each one of these, should there?
    No, and I have not filed a report on every piece of misinformation pertaining to 64bit. I have reported what I believe to be fud. Fud is disrespectful of the user (especially a new user) asking for information.
    wikipedia and others define fud as " a strategic attempt to influence public perception by disseminating negative (and vague) information." It isnt a threat to do something, but the use of fear that we all have to motivate someone.
    The misinformation as some have called it wasnt just a little out of date, but very out of date. Chroots have not been necessary since Breezy. Suggesting that there are many applications missing is just as old. When it was pointed out that it was incorrect the posted defended the incorrect information.
    The use of many packages missing was vague, and the requested information was never given. If they named a few packages they may have wanted to give information. The reason is because they didnt want to provide information for the new user, they wanted to produce uncertainty. In other words leave the new user wondering if the applications they wanted to use were available.

I also think that the age of incorrect information has some impact on if its honestly an error or not. If something was true last version and it changed. Perhaps it could be labeled as a mistake. But when its information 3 or 4 versions old in a ever improving os it stops becoming a mistake.
    Telling someone something that may have been true about Breezy without checking to see if it is still true or not stops becoming a mistake should be questioned.
    Do you really want uninformed people telling new users that information that is 3 or 4 versions old is still true when they could have easily checked to see if it isnt?
    Do you want people telling someone something they dont know to be true by current experience?
    Are you suggesting that I leave mistruth, possible lies, and other problems b,e to affect other new users who may come across them?
    Are you suggesting that someone reporting a situation listed above is a problem and the faulty information isnt?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am suggesting that misinformation should be handled by replying and disagreeing with the statements in a respectful manner, which you have already done very well. That is all.

Beans
    Distro

I am suggesting that misinformation should be handled by replying and disagreeing with the statements in a respectful manner, which you have already done very well. That is all.
    Good suggestion, but I dont think it goes far enough. Because it lets very out of date information be repeated over, and over , and over. New users seeking up to date information deserve to get that. Not some rehashed old info that isnt from the users experience.
    Is it respectful telling a new user something you dont know to be true? Is it respectful and friendly to tell a new user something negative about a version of Ubuntu if you have little or no posts dealing with that version?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If it is the same user time and time again saying those negative things about x86-64, then I fully agree with you that something needs to be done about it.

Otherwise, if it's different users, it is a commonly held {mis}conception about 64-bit that I don't think censoring is the best option against it. If you would be so kind as to correct what you consider to be misconceptions in a respectful tone as you've done so well this time, I think it will yield a more efficient result.

Another suggestion is to put something in your signature or write a wiki page on the subject if you do not want to repeat yourself over and over.

Beans
    Distro

If it is the same user time and time again saying those negative things about x86-64, then I fully agree with you that something needs to be done about it.

Otherwise, if it's different users, it is a commonly held {mis}conception about 64-bit that I don't think censoring is the best option against it. If you would be so kind as to correct what you consider to be misconceptions in a respectful tone as you've done so well this time, I think it will yield a more efficient result.

Another suggestion is to put something in your signature or write a wiki page on the subject if you do not want to repeat yourself over and over.
    When someone argues with you that they are right, even after 2 people point out they are not, its a problem. Then I think its rises to the level of needing a mod.
    Im not going to get into protracted arguments with someone that is spouting incorrect information.
    Also, the misconceptions as you call them can be cleared up by asking questions or reading about it in the 64bit sections stickies. But when the person arguing with you has not bothered to read its a problem. When a person arguing with you or posting information they have no knowledge of its a problem. In those cases I am more inclined to think of them as trolls. Trolls will and should be reported.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast