Thread: People using Zelig package and R?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Question People using Zelig package and R?

Hi!
    I am trying to install the Zelig package on Edgy Eft but I do not manage. I tried synaptic and the r-cran-zelig package, which seems to install but "library(Zelig)" in R returns a "no package Zelig found".
    Now, I am a bit lost in the install procedure described in the Zelig manual (PDF, 8pp.).
    If someone managed to install Zelig successfully, I would be glad to know how you did it!
    Thanks,
    madmaxx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: People using Zelig package and R?

Have you tried running R as sudo to install, then entering the commands in the manual?
    Code:
    sudo R
    source("http://gking.harvard.edu/zelig/install.R")
    q()
    That should install the needed packages. Now run R as normal user and load Zelig.
    Code:
    R
    library(Zelig)
    This looks nothing like my signature...
    My Page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Cool Re: People using Zelig package and R?

Thanks akniss! Great tip! I followed your suggestion and made it -- nearly. I figured out that "gfortran" was not installed and some stuff is supposed to be compiled with it. (That is definitely missing in the Zelig manual.) Anyway, I tried again and now it nearly finishes the install. But I get two errors back and the packages 'gee' and 'mgcv' do not get installed:

Code:
    * Installing *source* package 'gee' ...
    ** libs
    gfortran   -fpic  -g -O2 -c dgedi.f -o dgedi.o
    gfortran   -fpic  -g -O2 -c dgefa.f -o dgefa.o
    gcc -I/usr/share/R/include -I/usr/share/R/include     -fpic  -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -c ugee.c -o ugee.o
    gcc -shared  -o gee.so dgedi.o dgefa.o ugee.o -lblas-3 -lgfortran -lm -lgcc_s -lgfortran -lm -lgcc_s -L/usr/lib/R/lib -lR
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lblas-3
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [gee.so] Error 1
    ERROR: compilation failed for package 'gee'
    ** Removing '/home/marcus/.R/library/gee'
    and

Code:
    * Installing *source* package 'mgcv' ...
    ** libs
    gcc -I/usr/share/R/include -I/usr/share/R/include     -fpic  -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -c gcv.c -o gcv.o
    gcc -I/usr/share/R/include -I/usr/share/R/include     -fpic  -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -c gdi.c -o gdi.o
    gcc -I/usr/share/R/include -I/usr/share/R/include     -fpic  -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -c init.c -o init.o
    gcc -I/usr/share/R/include -I/usr/share/R/include     -fpic  -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -c magic.c -o magic.o
    gcc -I/usr/share/R/include -I/usr/share/R/include     -fpic  -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -c mat.c -o mat.o
    gcc -I/usr/share/R/include -I/usr/share/R/include     -fpic  -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -c matrix.c -o matrix.o
    gcc -I/usr/share/R/include -I/usr/share/R/include     -fpic  -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -c mgcv.c -o mgcv.o
    gcc -I/usr/share/R/include -I/usr/share/R/include     -fpic  -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -c qp.c -o qp.o
    gcc -I/usr/share/R/include -I/usr/share/R/include     -fpic  -g -O2 -std=gnu99 -c tprs.c -o tprs.o
    gcc -shared  -o mgcv.so gcv.o gdi.o init.o magic.o mat.o matrix.o mgcv.o qp.o tprs.o -L/usr/lib/R/lib -lRlapack -lblas-3 -lgfortran -lm -lgcc_s  -L/usr/lib/R/lib -lR
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lblas-3
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [mgcv.so] Error 1
    ERROR: compilation failed for package 'mgcv'
    ** Removing '/home/marcus/.R/library/mgcv'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

It kind of looks like you need to install build-essential packages in order to finish.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    Try that, then retry the previous steps. If it works, great! If not, I might not be of any more help. (I'm no programmer, just an R user.)
    This looks nothing like my signature...
    My Page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

It's my experience the R manuals (and their authors) assume a working knowledge of how to get software onto and off of a machine.

Not always accurate or fair, but otherwise they would spend many many pages going over various install scenarios for different platforms.
    Euler_fan
    Ubuntu User # 15369 at the Ubuntu Counter Project
    Woot for GPG