Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xswitch - a script to easily run applications in another xserver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Xswitch - a script to easily run applications in another xserver

Quote Originally Posted by szaqlon View Post
    I have been trying to run this: xswitch "winefix C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Launcher.exe" and have been getting this
    "/usr/bin/xswitch: line 276: nvidia-settings: command not found" Anyone know what is causing that?
    Do you have an NVIDIA card?

if you dont have an NVIDIA card you should remove the nvidia-settings part from the script(s)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

When using Xswitch my 2nd Xserver uses the default Keyboard shortcuts and not the custom setup I use in my own user account.

Gconf-editor was used to re-configure my keyboard short-cuts/modifiers.

I have modified My <ALT> Right Mouse, for gaming with WINE. I believe the custom key mappings I created are stored somewhere in my Home Folder but I'm not sure where they are stored.

I think the 2nd Xserver is loading up root/default settings. If so which files do I need to copy from my Home folder and where should they go on Root??

Anyone have any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The xswitch works, but when I exit my game, the screen goes black. ctrl-alt-backspace does nothing. I have to ctrl-alt-F7 and I can see xswitch end in the console, but it doesn't shutdown my second xserver fully because i still have X0 and X1 in /tmp/X11-unix/.

Also, when I am in a game in the 2nd xserver and switch back to my main xserver to IM/surf/etc i can see the cpu drop alot, and when I switch back to the game, it has to reconnect. Is there a way to make it keep the 2nd sever "alive" so to speak?

Thanks!

Beans

Hi, really handy script. I'm using it to switch from a dual display to a single for games using the alternate config switch.

I had a bit of an issue once when a game crashed and took down the main xserver as well, and because Xswitch hadn't had a chance to clean up it left my xorg.conf in single screen mode on reboot, bit of a pain.

So I thought, wouldn't it be safer to use the -config switch when starting X if possible (ie, if it's in /etc/X11/ already) instead of moving the configs around? I've made a patch that seems to work ok, it's only a few lines so here's the diff, feel free to use it if however...

Code:
    120c120
    < 	if [ "$XORGCONF" ] && [ ! -r "/etc/X11/$XORGCONF" ]
    ---
    > 	if [ "$XORGCONF" ]
    236d235
    < ALTCONFIG=""
    249,250d247
    < 	else
    < 		ALTCONFIG="-config $XORGCONF"
    275c272
    < $ROOT X $ALTCONFIG :$DISPLAY -ac &>/dev/null &
    ---
    > $ROOT X :$DISPLAY -ac &>/dev/null &
    ...to use it just start it with -c config_name.cfg, the config must be in /etc/X11/ already e.g.

Code:
    xswitch -c xorg_single.conf gnome-terminal metacity
    I've not tested much, but looking at the code I guess this should be a lot safer in situations where you need to have multiple xswitch sessions with different configs running at once, less chance of configs getting overwritten out of order?

Adam

Beans

Re: Xswitch - easily run applications in another xserver

Quote Originally Posted by deadlydeathcone
    This script tries to make it as easy as possible to run applications in another xserver
    Why did we want to do that again exactly?

Beans

Re: Xswitch - easily run applications in another xserver

I apply all statements but I have no sound. aplay -l says me no sound card detected and lspci -v give audio card capabilities as acces denied.What is wrong with me?Any help great appreciate.

Beans

i am trying to launch counter strike or steam
    but i always got cannot start application ""

xswitch "winefix -d 1 /home/cristiano/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Steam/drive_c/Programas/Steam/steam.exe" metacity

already tried without quotes.

i even tried these

winefix -d 1"/home/cristiano/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Steam/drive_c/Programas/Steam/steamapps/exo0m_/counter-strike/hl.exe"

and
    /home/cristiano/Desktop/Steam

i am probably doing wrong something.

regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Necromancy. Thread closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12