Thread: Wine - no sound in Counter Strike Source

Wine - no sound in Counter Strike Source

Hi

I've just set installed Counter Strike Source through Wine - so far everything seems to be running well, except I have no sound . I'm still new to Ubuntu and Linux in general so maybe this is a really obvious fix, but it looks like Steam is grabbing the sound so nothing else can use it, even Counter Strike. I found this out because I can't play MP3s once Steam is launched - it says the sound card is busy

Is there any fix for this, or any way to allow more than one application to use the sound card at once?

Many thanks

Beans

Re: Wine - no sound in Counter Strike Source

You can set the audio driver in winecfg to ALSA (may lag the game) or EsounD (again, may be slow).

Beans

I'm having the same problem. At some point after I start up steam, sound disappears entirely from my Linux environment and Counter-Strike.

The other guides say that the ALSA driver will crash the game, but I'm going to try it anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've got the same problem, the game starts normally, but the sound gets quiet, any suggestion?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Fixes in a different thread. You basically have to have something lock the device BEFORE you launch steam.
    Dualboot Ubuntu/XP AMD Athlon 64 3400+ | 2gig DDR RAM | 256mb Geforce 7600GT