Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Making Custom Live CD/DVD from all files on my hard drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question [SOLVED] Making Custom Live CD/DVD from all files on my hard drive

HIya guys,

I think this is the right area to put this question if not i would be greatful if someone could move it to the correct area.

Right here is my question:

I currently have a box with ubuntu installed on it along with a few other programs such as a custom AMP with all my config files and settings. What i want to do is make a custom CD/DVD(most probably DVD) which i can make a live cd of my computers exact file structure, i.e every file/folder/setting/program/etc.. on the computer. Then when i run this live cd on a machine it would be exactly the same as my current set up and files on the system (as if i was not running the live cd at all.)

Also if as well as these files being present in the live cd, if all the files could be installed on the machine which i install ubuntu from my custom live cd from that would be great. (so much like copying my whole hard drive to another computers hard drive [but also have the portability of being able to use it as a live cd].)

Hope that is clear enough and it helps you to help me
    Thanks in advance

Saj

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Making Custom Live CD/DVD from all files on my hard drive

I understand what you are trying to do, I'm trying to do the same thing, but no such luck yet.
    I have a couple of sites with some instructions, but since I'm a newbie, I get lost pretty quick, maybe you know what to do , and are able to do this, and let me know how it turns out.
    Here are the sites.

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php...tu_6.10_LiveCD <-- I think it's the best.
    http://www.atworkonline.it/~bibe/ubu...tom-livecd.htm
    http://www.google.com.pr/search?q=li...ient=firefox-a
    http://librenix.com/?inode=3608

Yet another Ubuntero @ ubuntu-es.org told me to install a certain program to help you do this, however it's in Spanish, and the program mentions another Distro (Tuquito Linux), and I haven't tried it, since I'm a newbie, and don't want to venture out into other Distros, just yet. The app is called Garfio, and you can get it @ http://www.garfio.org.ar/
    Hope this can point you in the correct direction, even though I'm not telling you much.
    Please, if you are successful in doing this, share the knowledge.

Have a great Ubuntu day!!!
    ROM
    Last edited by sonhadorpr; September 17th, 2007 at 07:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hiya m8, I will look at those website tomorrow (i only got back today so am just chillin).

If i get any luck i will post it on the forums for everyone else to benefit from.

I have sent you a private message with my msn address if you wish to add me so we can talk about it.

Good Luck to everyone if you have the same problem please post it so we can all work together.

Saj
    Ubuntu User Since 6.06 - "Here To Help"
    Ubuntu Beta Tester Since 6.10 - "We have the problems so you don't have too."
    --------------------------------------------------
    Linux Registered User: 452642 Ubuntu Registered User: 17365

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm trying to do the same thing... I want to make a livecd/install disk with some extra programs pre-installed and a customized default appearance (as well as uninstalling some so it all fits)... But I don't know where to begin in compiling it as a liveCD or what to change in the ISO to match my install... The biggest issue is that some of the files that I need to have are user files located under /home/user/.* so I wouldn't know how to go about doing that.. I'd be happy just with being able to compile it for the customized appearance though if possible.

Thanks for any help.

Beans

Remastersys may be what you all are looking for.
    http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Remastersys
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    Remastersys may be what you all are looking for.
    http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Remastersys
    On that can you also add files that you want to be installed on install, much like the "Examples" folder that is created in your home direcotry when you install it. Also not only install the programs on install i also want them to have all my pre adjusted configuration files.

Saj

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I am the guy that created Remastersys.

It is still a work in progress at this point. I have asked on the Ubuntu Launchpad site for help with casper and ubiquity which the livecd uses for booting and installation.

The script I wrote is currently written in Bash but I would like to port it over to python which is the standard scripting language in Ubuntu. Also working on a frontend for it as it is currently just a commandline tool.

Any options you think could be added, just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I originally built the script on Kubuntu but didn't get much of a response on the kubuntu forums so I gave up on them.

I've been working with the Linux Mint folks who have helped me test it more than anyone else but I need some good documentation on casper and ubiquity to be able to refine the process.

There is also a size limitation at the moment due to a bug in the way squashfs works but I am working on a workaround to be able to fully use the entire dvd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I would prefer not to use a program as they restrict me.

Saj

Beans

Well, I don't mind programs. Could the maker of Remastersys please enlighten us on how to obtain the debian package for Ubuntu 7.10? Thank you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast