Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we have a Linux alternative for this?

Beans

Do we have a Linux alternative for this?

If you've every tried to find the largest files to clean up a cluttered hard drive, you know something like this can save a lot of time. Really cool idea IMHO.

Now my question is, is there a linux (preferably open source) alternative for this little tool? The closest thing I can find is this java library. If no one can point me to a linux program like this, I think I'll write one myself
    Am Heimcomputer sitzt ich hier
    Programier die Zukunft mier

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Do we have a Linux alternative for this?

If you are using kubuntu, there is KDirStat, it is in the universe repository:
    apt-get install kdirstat

Beans

Those look pretty cool.

Beans
    Hidden!

SGC slipped in and posted while I was looking in Synaptic because I can never remember the name of the program even though it's come up in conversation several times in the past few weeks for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanj
    If no one can point me to a linux program like this, I think I'll write one myself
    I say got for it...unless you use KDE or you don't mind that KDirStat is going to want you to install about 8 or 10 dependencies, some of them KDE library packages.

For a different layout idea, take a look at this. I've seen this in action on windows and I think the circular chart looks neat. The author provides Delphi sources...but I know nothing about Delphi and Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I believe there is also a program called File Light in the repos that does the same thing and doesn't rely on the KDE Libs
    ArchLinux 0.8.0
    Associate Member of the Free Software Foundation

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyral
    I believe there is also a program called File Light in the repos that does the same thing and doesn't rely on the KDE Libs
    Still wants me to install pretty much the same stuff that KDirStat wants. But on the plus side it does have the look I prefer! Thanks for the heads up.

Beans

There is a little program called Baobab that does something similar, but focuses on directories, not the files. If you wanted to write something that does files too may I suggest contacting the Baobab author? It's a fairly new project from what I can tell and may be easily extended.

Have a look, the author might just love the help!

Cheers,
    ~djc
    It's not the security of your machine that worries me. My problem is when you waste my bandwidth because your compromised machine is used to hammer mine.

Beans
    Hidden!

erm.. read somewhere u can actually uses tools like du, find, etc.. to find the largest files?

Beans

KDirStat
    That's what I'm talking about. Too bad it's KDE Same goes for Filelight. Gnome should have a program for this.

There is a little program called Baobab that does something similar
    Seems to me it only creates a list over the directories and sorts them after size? Guess you could extend it with a treemap though. I'll take a look at the source code, and maybe contact the author.

erm.. read somewhere u can actually uses tools like du, find, etc.. to find the largest files?
    Yeah, you could of course. But these treemaps provide a much better overview. Plus they look cool
    Am Heimcomputer sitzt ich hier
    Programier die Zukunft mier

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

open a folder in konqueror

view- filesize view

i think that is what you are looking for. its alredy included in kibuntu.

Edit: screenie
    Last edited by drizek; August 7th, 2005 at 06:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast