Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOWTO: Australian Tax Returns on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: Australian Tax Returns on Ubuntu

Just completed my 2006/07 tax return online using Feisty, and it was a lot more straightforward than it apparently was two years ago. Here's what I did:

1. Installed msttcorefonts (1.8ubuntu1) and wine (0.9.41-0ubuntu2~feisty1) with Synaptic.
    2. Downloaded the e-tax 2007 installers from the ATO website.
    3. Right-clicked on the main installer (e-tax2007_1.exe) in Nautilus and added wine as a custom Open With handler for DOS/Windows executables.
    4. Accepted all the installer defaults.
    5. Double-clicked the remaining installer modules (etax2007_2_docs.exe, etax2007_2_cgtdll.exe, etax2007_2_ftbdll.exe) in turn.
    6. Double-clicked the e-tax 2007 Wine icon on my desktop, and was up and running.

I was able to complete and lodge my 2006/07 return, including rolling over last year's after browsing to find the archived copy in /media/stephen/e-tax/ST2006.TAX, with only one slightly disconcerting issue: at the point of lodgement, the main e-tax window becomes unresponsive right after clicking Next. Turns out that there's a pop-under that should be a pop-up, reminding you to establish an Internet connection. Revealing that, and dismissing it with OK, makes everything work (this pop-under occurs about three times, if I remember right).

Didn't have to install IE.

Didn't try to print my return (got no printers installed on this laptop) though the print preview works fine.

Full marks to the Wine team for this one!
    I'm running Gutsy and just did exactly what 'flabdablet' did. I did have a brief look at printing but with 30mins to the ATO deadline and no real need to print it I didn't investigate.

I had the same issue with the pop-under.

e-tax + WINE + ubuntu.... I'm impressed

Beans

Just 'thirding' the above posts.

I installed wine and the msttcore fonts, then downloaded E-tax from the site and right clicked on the .exe and opened in wine.

No problems, it installed and ran without glitching or stopping or anything like that. On the downside it was quite slow for such a little program and the occasional pop-ups did come up underneath (just move the main window and click ok).

E-tax was going to be the only reason that I would need a Windows comp this year - now I don't even need one for that. Full points to WINE and Ubuntu for this!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've been trying to use etax 2008 with Hardy & Wine 1.1. Basically it install without any issue, and loads up and looks to be working ok, but after a few pages of questions I can't proceed past the "pre-filing" page. Regardless of what options I select on this page, nothing happens. I'm curious to know other's experiences with 2008!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zombiepig View Post
    I can't proceed past the "pre-filing" page.
    Same problem for me!

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=28039

Beans

Use an accountant. You pay $90 for it, but get an extra 300....
    etax does not allow for certain legal deductions that you can make regardless.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sml View Post
    If you go to that link it tells you that you need to install msxml4, and how to do it. Once you do you'll be able to get past pre-filling and finish your tax return...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12