Before we start...
First of all, what is "Composite" and how to get working?
So, why Enable/Disable the Xfce compositor?
Here I got a problem: When the composite is enabled: 3d acceleration wont works.
As I want to use 3d acceleration and have nice effects, I found a way to not have both together, but easily switch composite on/off. This post gimme the idea to create this howto.
1. Create a file called composite-on on /usr/bin (you can replace nano with your favorite text editor):
2. Fill that with the following:
sudo nano /usr/bin/composite-on
3. Create a second file called composite-off in /usr/bin too (you can replace nano with your favorite text editor):
killall xfwm4 && xfwm4 --compositor=on &
4. Fill with the following:
sudo nano /usr/bin/composite-off
5. Now make then executable:
killall xfwm4 && xfwm4 --compositor=off &
6. Time to 1 click switch, right click on your panel and choose Add New Iten (Dont know if is exactly that, my system is in pt_BR) choose the first option Launcher (dont know exactly again) and then click add.
sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/composite-on /usr/bin/composite-off
You can name it yourself, and choose a nice icon too (the icons I used are attached at the end of the post), just put composite-on in the command option and that will be the turn on icon.
Do that twice, but in the second put composite-off in the command camp.
Now you got an easy on/off switcher for composite in xfce without have to restart X. Hope that this will help someone...
Tips, questions and comments will be apreciated, thats just my first howto. And sorry for my bad english, I need to pratice it more